Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #82981
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Wow, I'm a whole page behind; may have been 205'd

The following will make sense if you've towed someone with both a chain and then with a nylon tow strap.

Towing with a chain requires a skilled driver with a soft touch on the throttle. If not, the snatching chain will shake every nut and bolt in both vehicles. With a nylon strap, even a teenage girl (while texting) can tow a second vehicle with no conflict. However there will still be drama. With women, there will always be drama.

I don't know why you think a cush hub costs torque, it just cushions the hammering to the driveline of a 650 single with a power stroke once every 720 degrees of rotation. At 4000 rpm that's 2000 impacts per minute, think Jackhammer. Take your bike out and short shift at 2800-3000, roll the throttle on. Feel that banging in the footpegs? It's always there, that's why doG invented cush hubs.

Dirt bikes don't have cush hubs because the cushioning is taken care of by the slippage of the tire against dirt surface.

My xr650l didn't have a Cush drive and neither did the ktm 360 exc. both seemed to do just fine on pavement without it. I guess I really don't understand what the difference is. They both also wheelied easier (ok I know the ktm isn't a fair comparison). So it seems to me that there must be some torque being displaced or dampened. But maybe I'm just not understanding. Or connecting the wrong dots.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #82982
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
My xr650l didn't have a Cush drive and seemed to do just fine on pavement without it.
So..............did you have 53,xxx miles on your KLR XRL?
Quote:
and neither did the ktm 360 exc.
Not fair

Quote:
I guess I really don't understand what the difference is.
Quote:
They both also wheelied easier (ok I know the ktm isn't a fair comparison).
Although in a previous life, balance point wheelies were my passion (two stroke, 100 pounds lighter), the DR has completely denied me the pleasure (like my ex). It's been said "The DR wheelies so easily, it's almost like cheating." There are numerous youtube vids showing said antics.

Quote:
So it seems to me that there must be some torque being displaced or dampened. But maybe I'm just not understanding. Or connecting the wrong dots.
Whatever is going on, it isn't the cush hub.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #82983
Gebogen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Cush

Better clutch on the ktm. More frequently replaced clutch on my honda. I suspect a cush drive hub is more expensive to produce as well. My little NX250 has a cush hub too so maybe it's a street thing. Both the NX and the DR came with Trail Wings stock and we all know how well they do off road...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #82984
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
more cush

I just bought a DR350 that does not have a cush hub. You can feel every transition of throttle position and gear change. It chirps the tire on every downshift unless I'm careful to rpm match. I studied the cush sprockets and eventually I'll buy one, once it comes up in the farkling priority list.

I don't think there would be an issue with a cush hub on a race bike other than weight. What you might give up in instantaneous power transfer, would be more than made up in traction. But then that might be personal bias. I like cush, not hammer.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #82985
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Why so hostile?

How do you judge whether your bike is actually in neutral or not? Most of us rely upon the green neutral light, which is triggered by the NSU. And if you judge a difficulty in getting the bike into neutral by the green neutral light then you will mis-diagnose an issue with your transmission. The most common issue with the NSU is, of course, the screws backing out and allowing slop in the engagement point of the neutral position.

And if it's not the NSU, are you sure it wasn't one of the other two alternatives?

This isn't JM. I'm just trying to help, ferchrissake.
Not being hostile what so ever,just asking a sensible question.

The green light hadnt been mentioned,just hard to get into neutral.

Most bikes shift into neutral easily while moving,many are hard to get into neutral at rest. With the gearbox spinning the shift forks can move gears around no problem. At rest the linkage and forks are being stressed to move gears back and forth. Just rocking the bike back and forth a little with the engine off can allow it to slip into neutral easier.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #82986
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I just bought a DR350 that does not have a cush hub. You can feel every transition of throttle position and gear change. It chirps the tire on every downshift unless I'm careful to rpm match. I studied the cush sprockets and eventually I'll buy one, once it comes up in the farkling priority list.

I don't think there would be an issue with a cush hub on a race bike other than weight. What you might give up in instantaneous power transfer, would be more than made up in traction. But then that might be personal bias. I like cush, not hammer.
It will still chirp the tire with a cush hub,shifting smoothly is how to make it not chirp the tire on downshifts.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #82987
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Go back a few pages. This issue was extensively discussed since many of us are dealing with it. Cable adjustments rarely solve the problem.
On my DR,the cable adjustment needs to be done with the engine warm or hot,it changes a little from hot to cold and it needs to be right to shift well.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #82988
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
DR350 "S" models have a cush hub that will go right on. Probably not much more that a cush sprocket for price difference. Especially after a couple of sprocket replacements.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #82989
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 820
Best 80/20 Tires?

My stock Trail Wing is getting square on the back, so new tires will be needed soon...

Anyone care to weigh in of what are the best 80% Road / 20% Dirt tires?

TIA

John
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #82990
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792 View Post
My stock Trail Wing is getting square on the back, so new tires will be needed soon...

Anyone care to weigh in of what are the best 80% Road / 20% Dirt tires?

TIA

John
What type of off road? Just dirt roads? Sand? Rocks?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #82991
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
80%..... Depends on the dirt you want to do but the Shinko 705 is more road oriented and performs well in a lot of dirt. I have a set (thx JP) but we don't get sloppy mud here.

I mostly run the Shinko 244 for all around use. Inexpensive, pretty quiet on the road, decent traction for most of my uses.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #82992
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
DR350 "S" models have a cush hub that will go right on. Probably not much more that a cush sprocket for price difference. Especially after a couple of sprocket replacements.
Cool, thanks for the 350 guidance on the 650 thread. Hope this ain't some kinda thread infraction.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #82993
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
80%..... Depends on the dirt you want to do but the Shinko 705 is more road oriented and performs well in a lot of dirt. I have a set (thx JP) but we don't get sloppy mud here.

I mostly run the Shinko 244 for all around use. Inexpensive, pretty quiet on the road, decent traction for most of my uses.
I figured I'd ask as even 10% off road could require knobbies depending on what it is. That said, the shinko 244s were likely to be my response. Maybe a shinko 244 front and a 705 rear? If gnarlier off road, IRC TR8 front and 244 rear; the tr8 is about the same price as a 244 but more aggressive. It won't last as long, but it will last a long time for a knobby
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #82994
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 26,599
Hard to find Neutral

Here's the link of what was discussed previously. The NSU screws have nothing to do with it.

http://drriders.com/topic6671.html
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #82995
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Here's the link of what was discussed previously. The NSU screws have nothing to do with it.

http://drriders.com/topic6671.html
Very interesting read. Thank you for the link.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote