User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #82981
spyderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Non USA needle

Trying to get back close to stock. Need to know where I can get a non USA needle, 140,and 142.5 main. Thanks
spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #82982
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
Is there any way to NOT have a Cush drive on a dr or will it instantly make third gear explode and my chains wear out in a week? Just trying to get some wrenching ideas for the winter (and tax return time).
I have no facts to address your question, but I treat any slop in the cush drive as an immediate "bike down" situation. I really wouldn't want to take all cushioning away from 3rd. Why do you want to do this?
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #82983
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
Trying to get back close to stock. Need to know where I can get a non USA needle, 140,and 142.5 main. Thanks
Prolly motolab has them..
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #82984
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
What are you guys running for the front tire? How big can I go? My stock 3:00x21 IRC has 8300 miles on it and it's cupped badly enough to make a lot of noise.
I have the Shinko 244 in a 5:10 on the rear and I like that just fine.
BTW, still lots of good riding here in northern N.M.
I have the same as kommando but I am not as fond of the irc tr8 in sand, at least at slow speeds. Its great in every other area, its cheap, and I have to say I've never seen a knobbie hold its edges so well. At slow speeds I have to kick the back out a lot otherwise the front wants to plow (look at the tread pattern and it makes sense), but I don't run below 19 psi as I don't have tubliss or rim locks. Its fine in sand at high speeds. Depending on where I end up between Texas and Florida, I'll either stay with the tr8 (Texas) or try the pirelli xcmh (Florida).

I think I'm going to try the shinko 244 in place of the of the kenda 270 next time as I don't like how the 270 comes loose on the street and how it squirms in the turns. It IS predictable and tractable in how it acts though.

FYI YMMV:
Dunlop 606 front: hate it offroad- loves to wash on me. Doesn't wear well for me and pretty expensive.
Pirelli MT21 front: good in everything, but doesn't last long (edges go fast) and is sort of expensive.
Kenda 270 front: squirrelly leaned over on pavement, not good in mud or sand, cheap, lasts well, fantastic on hard gravel.
Tkc80 front: doesn't like deep sand or mud, good on gravel, fine on dirt, good on street, sidewall is too weak especially if dealing with rocks (I broke the bead on it when changing to the tr8 with one tire spoon), very expensive, life only decent.

So far the TR8 is the best compromise for me as I can overcome its weakness in slow speed sugar sand by spinning the rear around.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #82985
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I have no facts to address your question, but I treat any slop in the cush drive as an immediate "bike down" situation. I really wouldn't want to take all cushioning away from 3rd. Why do you want to do this?
I've just never had a "dirt bike" with a Cush drive ( as best as I can remember). Just seems unnecessary and that it could be keeping me from getting all the torque available. I don't know for sure that I want to. Its just an idea I was throwing out there.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #82986
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
I've just never had a "dirt bike" with a Cush drive ( as best as I can remember). Just seems unnecessary and that it could be keeping me from getting all the torque available. I don't know for sure that I want to. Its just an idea I was throwing out there.
You can buy a Warp 9 supermoto wheel, it has no cush drive, I bought one and sent it back, I want the cush drive
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #82987
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
well a DR650 is NOT a dirtbike so your record still stands.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #82988
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
You can buy a Warp 9 supermoto wheel, it has no cush drive, I bought one and sent it back, I want the cush drive
I would hate to bash up a nice warp 9 on the trails, but I'm glad to know there is an option. Like I said I'm just kind of toying with the idea. Can you explain any particular reason you want the Cush drive?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #82989
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
well a DR650 is NOT a dirtbike so your record still stands.
You are correct. That's why I said "dirt bike". But I was just trying to think of ways to make the dr a little more dirt bilke-ish. Even though it hasn't disappointed me yet. What can I say it's a brand new, bone stock bike an I want to tinker with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #82990
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,803
Pretty sure a DR350 non-cush wheel fits. Check w/ Jesse at Keintech for a definitive answer. You'll need a 650 brake disc though.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #82991
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Pretty sure a DR350 non-cush wheel fits. Check w/ Jesse at Keintech for a definitive answer. You'll need a 650 brake disc though.
Will do! Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #82992
chokpa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What year and how many miles?

There are problems with 97-98's with the starter clutch and there's always the base gasket on the early one to keep an eye on.
'06 with about 35k kms (21k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Krusty's Index

Look through the index but the NSU screws & upper chain roller come to mind. Congrats on the new ride.

HERE is how to eval for the torque limiter.
Ok cool, thanks mate!
chokpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #82993
spyderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Prolly motolab has them..

Thanks, I'll pm him.

spyderman screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 08:44 PM
spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #82994
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,160
Quote:
I would hate to bash up a nice warp 9 on the trails, but I'm glad to know there is an option. Like I said I'm just kind of toying with the idea. Can you explain any particular reason you want the Cush drive?
all about the pulsing of the motor from what i [quickly/halfassed]researched. the pulsing will fatigue splines and transmission parts more than the torque of the motor.

since i also have a warp 9 wheel [still in the box] i just threw another $112 down the rabbit hole and picked up a kushsprocket. engineered in aus. made in china shipped out of hongkong. http://www.kushsprockets.com/design

the sprocket might be toast after 10k miles but it takes me forever to put miles on anyway. i will hopefully have the oem wheel with knobs on the bike for 2/3's of the time. [sadly] 10k of motarding may take 6-7 years at my house. so $112 doesn't seem like too much for some transmission insurance.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #82995
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Posted these in the Alaska pics thread and thought you travelin' DR cats might like to see them. Most of my GoPro pics are on a hard drive back in Florida (im in Texas now), though these pics of the haul road never made it on there.

Need to get some fuel in Deadhorse..

Bombing down the Arctic Slope...

...until I must suffer through the result of an overzealous water truck...

Who says the haul road is boring? Approaching the Brooks Range...

What an awesome view..

Starting to see the trees again heading for Coldfoot...

Back to some asphalt...

Those are not specs on my gopro case... look closely and see what awaits in Coldfoot

All in a days work...

Hope you enjoyed