Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #83881
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,126
either the dealer but pricey or pull out the other side one and take to hardware store. you'll want zinc coated or stainless (not black).

since you're losing bolts, it sounds like you have not gone through your bike properly.
you need to pull many of the other bolts and put blue locktite on everything.
i use the stick and any bolt that is not essential motor/frame got a locktite treatment. i used to own a klr and know about lossing bolts.

i've never ever lost a single bolt on my klr or my dr ever!
those that don't locktite have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
I lost a few bolts recently. The one that holds the passenger handlebars is gone, the right side panel one is gone(i don't know the name for this), and the back fender one is gone. Where might I get replacement bolts?

Funny story, as I was driving to Charleston on my bike (stock except for gas tanke) I started to feel something coming loose (It was pouring down rain btw). I reach my right hand down and at that EXACT moment I am able to catch the right side panel from flying off. I hold onto it in my lap until the next exit and zip tie it on there. Crazy. I have painted the panels so I was the last person to "tighten" them. It's my fault, should have put some blue threadlock on.

Anyway, the trip was tiresome. 150 miles in the rain out of a 250 mile trip, no rain gear (except jacket). It was rough.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #83882
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
What do you guys suggest for ridding boots? I've never owned a pair. I've been riding since I was a kid, but never raced. I'm relatively your in the grand scheme of things, but I guess I've just gotten to the point where I'm even starting to think about safety. As a kid I just wore anything as an adult I wear my leather work boots, but I figure its time to get some real riding boots.
I wear Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. Very comfortable after they break in and you can wear in public without looking like a dufus, jeans over boots. They are a old style leather motorcross boot that covers your shins - like Gestapo Jack books. They are made by Sidi for Aerostich.

These here are 7 years old and I wear them almost every day to work -switch to dress shoes during actual work hours.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #83883
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have used a WER steering damper on several bikes and they resist turning for about 15 degrees away from center but have zero resistance returning. I don't currently have a damper on either bike and I have crashed hard twice lately when the front end (KTM) got kicked sideways at speed and I bet a damper would've given me a chance to avoid these falls.
I have WER dampers on both my KTM200 and my DR780. I like the way they return to center with no resistance and also how they mount out of the way just above the front fender.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #83884
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Second the stich...

Combat touring lites and the regulars are excellent! I've worn them for years. Not a great off-road boot but good for everything etc hiking;) ok around town for short walks. I've walked a while in them, ok but suck when pushing a bike but then don't they all;)
Break them in wet and use newspaper inside to dry them. Not really waterproof but buy some rubber boot covers like grandpa had, slop the covers on with shopping bags. I've tried waterproofing but they seem to leak at the stiching around the sole. Used to be under $200 but a lot more now. When mine can't be resoled I will buy a new pair. 2 pair in 14 yrs now and still ticking
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #83885
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 820
I quite enjoy my Gaerne GX1s and consider them 200 bones well spent. I'd never ride offroad in a lesser weight boot.
They walk surprisingly well!

I'd love me some Sidis... in a decade once these Gaernes wear out!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surfboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #83886
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I used to buy Hi Point Pro GP's which are an all leather boot with a metal shin guard riveted on the front. (made but Sidi BTW)

Well those are like the boot of choice for the fetish types and when ever I did a google search for them I got some weird sites. Not only that, but they are no longer imported so when a pair comes up on ebay, the fetish people drive the price up. I ended up getting AXO Boxers last time instead.

Had a pair, loved them. Left them in my garage to long in florida and they fell apart after 5 years ( my fault not the boots )
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #83887
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;22805387]Ive tried several different steering dampers for the tight woods singletrack around here and I cant use em,they screw my steering up and throw my timing off.
Too many quick steering inputs going through the trees and a damper has just enough input to make me hit trees.

None I have tried can truly be turned completely off.

But in rocks and going fast on rough roads/desert they are a great thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running a RTT Stabilizer and find it does turn off. I think it has 9 levels-too lazy to go look. It has a thumb switch for off, 50% or 100% of level selected. My thumb switch is mounted on the center of my handlebars because of a lack of space near the grips. It's a YZ450 setup and was a pain to set up. I like the results. I just need to remember to turn it on BEFORE I need it
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #83888
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 12,012
Steering dampers are way cool

If you have the bread and the urge do what floats your boat

Just don't chrome anything OK
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #83889
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Steering dampers are way cool

If you have the bread and the urge do what floats your boat

Just don't chrome anything OK
Carbon is the new chrome
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #83890
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,418
[QUOTE=Paddle007;22810816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive tried several different steering dampers for the tight woods singletrack around here and I cant use em,they screw my steering up and throw my timing off.
Too many quick steering inputs going through the trees and a damper has just enough input to make me hit trees.

I'm running a RTT Stabilizer and find it does turn off. I think it has 9 levels-too lazy to go look. It has a thumb switch for off, 50% or 100% of level selected. My thumb switch is mounted on the center of my handlebars because of a lack of space near the grips. It's a YZ450 setup and was a pain to set up. I like the results. I just need to remember to turn it on BEFORE I need it
what a coincidence. i also did the fasstflexx and hdb thing. the hdb came in this afternoon and it turns out [on the low bars] you have to take off one of the flexx dogbones to get it on. and you need the 'with stabilizer' dogbones to make the hdb switches and powerports easier to get to.

i have it mocked up with acerbis hand guards and gpr stabilizer so i can take it to work and weigh it on a good scale. i am curious to what tonnage i have added to my top clamp. i am sure its considerable compared to stock bars and handguards.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #83891
Red Herring
Gnarly Commuter

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
a couple years ago there was a product called Dupont multi purpose dry wax lubricant that, contained teflon, was an exceptional chain lube, and prevented rust. the attached picture is of a chain with more than 50,000 miles ridden in all conditions, to include rain, water crossings, and winter salt. Unfortunately this product was discontinued and its replacement sucks.

I didn't know it was discontinued. They never introduced it in Canada, so on a trip to Seattle a couple of years ago, I bought 2 dozen cans. Glad I did.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #83892
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
You're old, I used to sell them in the 80's
Ive got a nice set of those up in a closet somewhere,they are about as protective as wearing slippers compared to a Good modern set of dirt boots. Those old all leather boots flex in every direction which means so will your ankle wearing them. But like most ADV boots they are comfortable.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #83893
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,863
[QUOTE=Paddle007;22810816]
Quote:
Ive tried several different steering dampers for the tight woods singletrack around here and I cant use em,they screw my steering up and throw my timing off.

That is an amazing amount of stuff swinging back and forth with your handlebars! Is a small flatscreen TV next?
I count 17 added buttons to play with,can anybody find more?

I would be fine with a damper working all the time on a dual purpose bike,its just on my lighter trailbikes that only go in the woods where I dont like a damper.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #83894
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,451
Quote:
Ive got a nice set of those up in a closet somewhere,they are about as protective as wearing slippers compared to a Good modern set of dirt boots. Those old all leather boots flex in every direction which means so will your ankle wearing them. But like most ADV boots they are comfortable.
They are like slippers when it comes to protection. (almost) I was out putting up course markers for my clubs 2-day AMA Nat'l Adventure ride and thought that I would wear my comfortable old Hi-points. What the heck, I'd be taking it easy, right. Well the 2 guys that go with me are great riders and they are on serious D/S bikes. XR650R and a KTM 625SXC. I'm trying to be sure to keep up so taking it easy goes out the window. In a particularly rocky section, My DR hops completely in the air and lays over on it's side. Then comes down on it's side safely on my foot that was still on the peg. I saw stars. I thought something was broken. Luckily those boots still protect to a small level. I was fine about a half hour later. Big blue and yellow bruise for about the next 2 weeks.

Now I won't even wear those boots even on a tar trip. Modern stuff is the way to go IMO. If I had on my current boots, I don't think I would've even bruised.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #83895
furiouslyalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hey guys, looking to get some bark busters for my DR. Kinda lost as to what model to get. Any recommendations? (I have warp 9 levers so clearance should be fine.)
furiouslyalex is offline   Reply With Quote