Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #83881
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post

ps: and who's that guy with the windshield? Didn't he get the memo on the route?
Being that you properly placed a question mark at the end of your sentence I assume that you are correctly asking me a question (take note Footfagger) so I will properly satisfy your intrigue.

The tall windscreen dude is my good friend Terry AKA Nightstalker

Poor KTM.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #83882
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Alpinestars Tech 8s - ATGATT

When you first try a pair of good MX boots you want to take them off straight away because compared to what you are used to, you'll have no feel or control, and won't be able to walk far. Persevere because they're worth it.
I kept hearing about the Gaerne boots,My ankles are pretty beat up and need all the help they can get.
Picked up some SG12's and they are some beefy stiff boots,really hard to walk in for the first couple rides but they have broken in now and arent bad.

Tried some Tech-7's before that and was lucky to sell em on CL,flexy cheaply built things with buckles that took forever to try get tight and latched down,then even harder to get the things off.
I figured out the outer toe box was made of soft vinyl/plasticky junk that offered 0 protection against rocks/manzanita/what ever. A disappointment after wearing Tech-6's for many years.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #83883
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
psmcd - slow technical stuff - stabilizer is no help.

cyberdos - I retract my earlier statement about us having similar terrain. Yours is the answer to "can you take a DR off road?"

Boots - yes, seems to make sense to get an ADV boot for ADV and I have a pair of Gaerne G-ADV boots for back roads/dirt roads. I mostly wear a Gaerne SG-10 which have way more protection. Comfortable right out of the box with the hinged upper.

Almost anything is better than just a hiking boot.

If FD doesn't want his helmet, I'll take it. Classic.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #83884
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
Hey Brad- I won't tell anybody a KTM guy is asking DR650 guys for advice...lol
Hey Bil, how the hell are you doing. I need all the help I can get riding this heavy bike and some more skills to go along with it, but don't let the KTM crowd know.............
Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #83885
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,277
I have a GPR sitting in the garage I'd sell. Don't know if it needs a rebuild, which they do, seems stiff but haven't mounted it at all. Don't even remember what I had it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
GPR's response to that (for what it's worth, I just copy/paste):

"I've heard your damper has no high speed dampening. What's the difference between high/low dampening?
This is a great question. If you know what high and low speed dampening is, you would laugh at our competition and their claims. To start, you can't have one without the other (high/low speed dampening). Low speed comes with high speed and visa-versa. Any damper, including ours, would be useless w/o high speed valving or dampening. We get our valving through a single port made of only hard, anodized aluminum (nothing to contaminate or break down the oil) that on impact will restrict the flow of oil (Fluid, volume transfer). The harder the impact, the more high speed dampening it has. No unnecessary dials or parts to fail. We do have high speed dampening and a high-speed circuit. What we don't have is a 2nd external adjuster dial for that circuit, as both high and low speed dampening are controlled with the single, large, dial instead of a separate, blind adjustment dial. It is a true on the fly adjustment that has a numerical reference, so you know where it is set at all times, no guess work here." (emphasis added)
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #83886
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
psmcd - slow technical stuff - stabilizer is no help.

cyberdos - I retract my earlier statement about us having similar terrain. Yours is the answer to "can you take a DR off road?"

Boots - yes, seems to make sense to get an ADV boot for ADV and I have a pair of Gaerne G-ADV boots for back roads/dirt roads. I mostly wear a Gaerne SG-10 which have way more protection. Comfortable right out of the box with the hinged upper.

Almost anything is better than just a hiking boot.

If FD doesn't want his helmet, I'll take it. Classic.
Ive tried several different steering dampers for the tight woods singletrack around here and I cant use em,they screw my steering up and throw my timing off.
Too many quick steering inputs going through the trees and a damper has just enough input to make me hit trees.

None I have tried can truly be turned completely off.

But in rocks and going fast on rough roads/desert they are a great thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiking boots on dual purpose bikes are just asking for a snapped ankle,they're fine till something untoward happens.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #83887
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
I don't want to lose any of the light, nimble steering at slower speeds. The DR often surprises me how well it threads through tight, rough sections. I'm thinking one subtle increase in fork spring rate, from .47 to .50, is what will dial things in for me (with just a bit more rebound damping if it can be had from the emulators). There's usually something I have to hit on a climb or descent that can throw it but I'm not looking to ride high speed in the rough with this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive tried several different steering dampers for the tight woods singletrack around here and I cant use em,they screw my steering up and throw my timing off.
Too many quick steering inputs going through the trees and a damper has just enough input to make me hit trees.

None I have tried can truly be turned completely off.

But in rocks and going fast on rough roads/desert they are a great thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiking boots on dual purpose bikes are just asking for a snapped ankle,they're fine till something untoward happens.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #83888
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Love my CrossFires.

I used to buy Hi Point Pro GP's which are an all leather boot with a metal shin guard riveted on the front. (made but Sidi BTW)

Well those are like the boot of choice for the fetish types and when ever I did a google search for them I got some weird sites. Not only that, but they are no longer imported so when a pair comes up on ebay, the fetish people drive the price up. I ended up getting AXO Boxers last time instead.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #83889
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

I have used a WER steering damper on several bikes and they resist turning for about 15 degrees away from center but have zero resistance returning. I don't currently have a damper on either bike and I have crashed hard twice lately when the front end (KTM) got kicked sideways at speed and I bet a damper would've given me a chance to avoid these falls.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #83890
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I used to buy Hi Point Pro GP's which are an all leather boot with a metal shin guard riveted on the front. (made but Sidi BTW)

Well those are like the boot of choice for the fetish types and when ever I did a google search for them I got some weird sites. Not only that, but they are no longer imported so when a pair comes up on ebay, the fetish people drive the price up. I ended up getting AXO Boxers last time instead.
You're old, I used to sell them in the 80's
Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #83891
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
You're old
................... but I don't go to work any more..........

............................................. ............................
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #83892
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
................... but I don't go to work any more..........

............................................. ............................
Shoot need to start a sub thread for us retired riders

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #83893
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I lost a few bolts recently. The one that holds the passenger handlebars is gone, the right side panel one is gone(i don't know the name for this), and the back fender one is gone. Where might I get replacement bolts?

Funny story, as I was driving to Charleston on my bike (stock except for gas tanke) I started to feel something coming loose (It was pouring down rain btw). I reach my right hand down and at that EXACT moment I am able to catch the right side panel from flying off. I hold onto it in my lap until the next exit and zip tie it on there. Crazy. I have painted the panels so I was the last person to "tighten" them. It's my fault, should have put some blue threadlock on.

Anyway, the trip was tiresome. 150 miles in the rain out of a 250 mile trip, no rain gear (except jacket). It was rough.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #83894
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,245
a hardware store.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #83895
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
a hardware store.
Do you know what that website is that shows the parts for specific bikes? I'd like to check the size on that bolt that holds the passenger handlebar. I'm not sure of the size.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote