Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #85096
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 294
I have the PWD bash plate. It's perty thick. I wanna say 4mm??? I will try for a pic.

Gimme a few minutes...

Dang it's cold out there man!! Here ya go...

dickensheets screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 05:05 AM
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #85097
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You're right, he posted some design concepts and I thought he said soon to be released. I'm pretty sure he intended to make them long enough to use the nuts in the stock frame.

I just looked back for a month and couldn't find the posts. I don't think they're on his site yet.

That's a good solution for those disciplined enough to remember.

Looking at mine, I'd only need a piece of alum about 10" wide and 6" deep to extend back to the nuts already welded to our bikes. The 6" would allow for a bit of overlap and a top and bottom weld bead at the splice for strength.
I cut the rear piece from the stock plate and TIG'd it to my aftermarket plate.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #85098
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
You're right, he posted some design concepts and I thought he said soon to be released. I'm pretty sure he intended to make them long enough to use the nuts in the stock frame.

I just looked back for a month and couldn't find the posts. I don't think they're on his site yet.

That's a good solution for those disciplined enough to remember.

Looking at mine, I'd only need a piece of alum about 10" wide and 6" deep to extend back to the nuts already welded to our bikes. The 6" would allow for a bit of overlap and a top and bottom weld bead at the splice for strength.
Hey ER70S thanks for remembering. Yup the skidplate is in production as we speak. 5mm thick, Uses the rear factory tabs, protects the frame rails by the pegs, covers the oil filter cap nicly, guards the side cases as much as possible and it has rubber dampners between the frame and plate in the middle to deadened some resonance vibrations. Here's some quick and dirty cell pics throughout my test fit and testing process.

In thes pics I dont have the correct bolts in. It will have button heads in the front and recessed bolts in the rear mounts.

Also the plate is going to be bead blasted and available in silver and black.

The hole on the right side is for a brake snake cable

Here is what made me build plates. This is one of the more popular skidplates after 1 season. Its 4mm and didnt go back to the factory mounts

warp9man screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 06:39 AM
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #85099
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post

Question three: I'm planning to upgrade the skid plate with a Pat Walsh Designs plate. Their website says it does not use frame clamps on the rear and extends further back. Anyone have any positive or negative experience with this plate?

Thanks,
Quinn
I have the PW skid plate on mine. It's 5mm thick (not 4mm). It goes back further than other plates and bolts to two existing holes in the frame. It is very well made and easy to install. There are custom made CNC hangers on the front and the rear bolts come with rubber vibration isolators. The only negative is it does reflect engine noise UP, but I think this is common with any plate. Bottom line, I like it.

I purchased the plate and a PW rear rack on the PWD website as a combo and got a $20 discount...Like the rack too.

x32792 screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 05:43 AM
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #85100
psmcd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
skid plate comparison

All I've got are Warp9 shorty levers so far and they're one of the sweetest additions to my bike. I was going to extend my not quite wimpy plate to the rear mounts but now Warp's is at the top of the farkle list. I hate the thought of busted cases (even with shortened rear mount bolts & beveled nuts). Warp's is also looking like the best oil filter cover protection.

Pat Walsh Design plate

SW-MOTECH plate looks to have good coverage - 4mm base, 3mm wings

Photo search yielded this example of why concern for the sides.

psmcd screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 07:31 AM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #85101
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Thanks PSMCD. Here is a top shot of the filter deflector

This is from the first plate. The mkII version is a little better and I will take some better pics later today when temps allow me to get out of bed ;)

warp9man screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 06:45 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #85102
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,172
Skid

The frame clamp style always concerned me--this is the one I used and have found it to be excellent.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...uki-dr650se-96
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #85103
psmcd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
It looks as though the mkII has a couple of bends that would make the oil filter side more rigid and resist deflection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
This is from the first plate. The mkII version is a little better and I will take some better pics later today when temps allow me to get out of bed ;)
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #85104
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Ok Ok I got 2 PM's asking if I would get out of bed and get some pics of the mkII. Ha Ha here you go guys

This is the bead blasted mkII and very close to the prodution plate. I added 2 more degrees of deflection outwards on the oil fliter wing at the top.

What do you think?

Okay going back to bed with the warm wife
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #85105
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
I had the hole puncher and witnessed another DR firsthand get a dime sized hole on a ride. Fortunately, we were only a mile from road access so the pickup wasn't too bad.

I got a PWD plate that went back to the mounts but it didn't have the side coverage I wanted. So I chopped up my old one and made some mods.

If the Warp9 was out, I would've grabbed it. Kevin puts time into making sure his products are the best they can be for the DR and as mentioned, the feel of the Warp9 levers is great. Like other things moto, some of the small changes can make the bike that much more enjoyable.

Rusty - thanks for the heads up on the TM II. I'm trucking the DR to Superstition OHV so the initial scrub will be dirt/sand. I'll watch the first tar ride, for sure. I've learned the hard way to take it easy on new tires. No crashes but I did have to get a seaterectomy once. Starfish spasms - hate 'em.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #85106
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,283
that looks alot like the same design shape & coverage as the long gone DG skid plate that i have on my bike. it was the best out there until seeing this one. i think the DG is 4mm, so this one should be even better.

Quote:
Hey ER70S thanks for remembering. Yup the skidplate is in production as we speak. 5mm thick, Uses the rear factory tabs, protects the frame rails by the pegs, covers the oil filter cap nicly, guards the side cases as much as possible and it has rubber dampners between the frame and plate in the middle to deadened some resonance vibrations. Here's some quick and dirty cell pics throughout my test fit and testing process.

In thes pics I dont have the correct bolts in. It will have button heads in the front and recessed bolts in the rear mounts.

Here is what made me build plates. This is one of the more popular skidplates after 1 season. Its 4mm and didnt go back to the factory mounts
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #85107
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,283
i'd say the pwd plate big positives are 5mm plate and it extends far back, but it sure does lack front/side area coverage when it's seen from that angle.

warp9 plate is gonna be the one to own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I had the hole puncher and witnessed another DR firsthand get a dime sized hole on a ride. Fortunately, we were only a mile from road access so the pickup wasn't too bad.

I got a PWD plate that went back to the mounts but it didn't have the side coverage I wanted. So I chopped up my old one and made some mods.

If the Warp9 was out, I would've grabbed it. Kevin puts time into making sure his products are the best they can be for the DR and as mentioned, the feel of the Warp9 levers is great. Like other things moto, some of the small changes can make the bike that much more enjoyable.

Rusty - thanks for the heads up on the TM II. I'm trucking the DR to Superstition OHV so the initial scrub will be dirt/sand. I'll watch the first tar ride, for sure. I've learned the hard way to take it easy on new tires. No crashes but I did have to get a seaterectomy once. Starfish spasms - hate 'em.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #85108
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that looks alot like the same design shape & coverage as the long gone DG skid plate that i have on my bike. it was the best out there until seeing this one. i think the DG is 4mm, so this one should be even better.
Eakins you have a good eye man. The long lost DG plate was the best I had seen. And I was lucky enough to steal one from one of my dads DR's and use it as a model. so its thicker and with a little more protection and rubber between it and the frame. Heres the DG i used and you can see some of my modifications

So I hope its worthy of you rock bashers out there ;)

warp9man screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 08:16 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #85109
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,210
I also came really close to punching a hole in my case via the skidplate p-clamp. My buddy had his poke right through. I posted something long ago about how this should be considered a design flaw (and I caught a bit of flack), in that the protection should definitely not be the CAUSE of harm...

My solution:

foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #85110
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Yup the skidplate is in production as we speak. 5mm thick, Uses the rear factory tabs, protects the frame rails by the pegs, covers the oil filter cap nicly, guards the side cases as much as possible and it has rubber dampners between the frame and plate in the middle to deadened some resonance vibrations. Here's some quick and dirty cell pics throughout my test fit and testing process.

Nice! Put me down for one. I hate the p-clamps on my KLR's skid plate. Any idea what the price will be?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote