Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #8821
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I read your ride report and highly recomend it,great job! How in the heck can I get more then 50 mpg out of my also stock jetted and piped DR650? 64 sounds much better to me.

I have to admit that was the better than any previous mileage I had experienced before. I think it was due to several factors. One: my bike was relatively new, and not fully broke in before I left. Two: the windshield was a big advantage; a much cleaner air stream. Three: keeping speeds in the 70/75 indicated range. This is probably a real speed of around 65.
The DR had 800 miles on it when I started and just kept running better during the whole trip. From this experience, I think it takes about 4000 or 5000 miles to fully break in this engine.
Mileage was recorded on mostly flat ground with no wind.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #8822
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
Oh yes, there was one problem. When I returned home, while cleaning the bike, I found a head pipe heat shield screw missing. I guess nothings perfect!!!!
damn junk bikes! Suzuki should have a recall! I can't believe they keep passing off this inferior product year after year!

Mine lost the same screw on the first long (couple day) ride. A buck or two at the hardware store for some stainless replacements, a dab of red Loctite, and that's been the only trouble I've had in 12,000 miles.
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #8823
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
And bleed you will.

Absolutely, we owned one KTM and that's all we'll ever own, for all the reasons seddy mentioned plus a long history of breakdonws which I won't go into. Hope you enjoy your LC4.
I have quite a few motorcycles. I've had nothing but great times with all my KTMs. In fact, I have a new 08 XC-W 250 ordered. The performance of the Euro bikes just blows away anything Japanese - hands down. Yes, I agree that suzuki parts are less expensive and a little easier to obtain, but I haven't had a problem with KTM. I love my DL650 - absolutely fantastic motorcycle. But the DR650 is not the offroader that KTM is and never will be. The guys with tighter wallets go Japanese and I certainly understand that. I own a DR and like it fine. I have over 10,000 miles on the DR650, so I know what its about. It is a far better pavement, gravel road, two tracker than the KTM LC4, but in the woods and single track the KTM wins everytime. Sorry DR650 purists, but this fact, like it or not. Hey, not to start a pissing match, but I like my Strom over a bmwGS. So, I'm not a suzi hater. Just REAL offroad belongs to bikes like husky, KTM, GasGas, Beta.....
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #8824
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude
I have quite a few motorcycles. I've had nothing but great times with all my KTMs. In fact, I have a new 08 XC-W 250 ordered. The performance of the Euro bikes just blows away anything Japanese - hands down. Yes, I agree that suzuki parts are less expensive and a little easier to obtain, but I haven't had a problem with KTM. I love my DL650 - absolutely fantastic motorcycle. But the DR650 is not the offroader that KTM is and never will be. The guys with tighter wallets go Japanese and I certainly understand that. I own a DR and like it fine. I have over 10,000 miles on the DR650, so I know what its about. It is a far better pavement, gravel road, two tracker than the KTM LC4, but in the woods and single track the KTM wins everytime. Sorry DR650 purists, but this fact, like it or not. Hey, not to start a pissing match, but I like my Strom over a bmwGS. So, I'm not a suzi hater. Just REAL offroad belongs to bikes like husky, KTM, GasGas, Beta.....
that is true, but wtf is your intent of this post?
different bike, different purpose, different design, different price.
this is not new news!

those that adv ride/tour with their DRs are very satisfied. those that buy one and hope it's a mean off-road/mx machine (for cheap) are not so satisfied.

oh yeah i can "real offroad" on my xr4 all day long>>>you just seem to have a grudge against japs...even though you own them.

sniff, sniff, sniff do i smell a troll?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 11-20-2007 at 07:08 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #8825
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Let's not become like the Harley snobs (not all harley riders are snobs) that won't wave to anyone not on a HD. If the guy wants a KTM I have no problem with that. They are great bikes. I have one. Not all bikes do all things. Sometimes you need more than one bike, sometimes you change brands. Hope you enjoy your KTM to the max. I would have one in a heartbeat. DR's are cool but so are other bikes. DR riders are cool, but so are other brand riders too. It's all good!

It's good that everyone doesn't like the same thing, or we'd all be standing in a giant line.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #8826
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Tight wallet? No. But I'd prefer a Japanese bike over the KTM. I have no beef with KTM's. They're awesome.

To each his own. Ride on you Gnarly Diamond!
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #8827
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
that is true, but wtf is your intent of this post?
different bike, different purpose, different design, different price.
this is not new news!

those that adv ride/tour with their DRs are very satisfied. those that buy one and hope it's a mean off-road/mx machine (for cheap) are not so satisfied.

oh yeah i can "real offroad" on my xr4 all day long>>>you just seem to have a grudge against japs...even though you own them.

sniff, sniff, sniff do i smell a troll?
The intent? read earlier posts. I just offered my DR for sale when I learned of an LC4 for sale. I guess it bugs the DR650 purtists here. So what?
I have no grudge against Jap bikes, if you read my entire post. I'm not trying to argue, some of you here are defending your DRs like soccor moms with their brats. Once again(in english) I have no problem with my DR650. Its been a great bike, with a few short comings in my opinion. My point was merely that the LC4 is better for more dedicated offroading and that includes your XR. You guys gotta cool down a bit and save the energy for offroading.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #8828
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymonster
Tight wallet? No. But I'd prefer a Japanese bike over the KTM. I have no beef with KTM's. They're awesome.

To each his own. Ride on you Gnarly Diamond!
Hey fishmonster , glad to see you're still with us.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #8829
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

The guy that FINALLY GETS IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Let's not become like the Harley snobs (not all harley riders are snobs) that won't wave to anyone not on a HD. If the guy wants a KTM I have no problem with that. They are great bikes. I have one. Not all bikes do all things. Sometimes you need more than one bike, sometimes you change brands. Hope you enjoy your KTM to the max. I would have one in a heartbeat. DR's are cool but so are other bikes. DR riders are cool, but so are other brand riders too. It's all good!

It's good that everyone doesn't like the same thing, or we'd all be standing in a giant line.
Nuff said - thanks rusty!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #8830
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Nuff said.
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #8831
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Laugh Need more than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket

I'm not a Harley guy but I gotta say In the last two years traveling the southwest almost every Harley guy has waved to me. Even the hard core jail house tatood. I am even surprised as I'm on a DR650. +100 on needing more than one bike. Different tools for different jobs. (thats what I told the wife anyway )
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #8832
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,477
Love that CCM
Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #8833
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,477
Oh yeah and that scrambler looks cool too
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #8834
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
don't know where to post this, but I'm selling my 2000 DR650 for $2500. if anyone is interested. Has a few extras, clean as a whistle, always garaged, never dumped or crashed, 10,500 miles(yup, I bought it new). I'm looking at an LC4. Sorry, but I bleed orange. I'm a ktm guy first. Keeping the wee though, its just too much fun.

CJ
All the verbage and no mention of where you live...

Where you at dude??
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #8835
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Never argued the KTM wasn't a better offroad bike, of course it is. I was just stating me personal experience with KTM, which hasn't been good. And having owned them, you have to admit they are a maintenance nightmare. And hope you never need parts, or aren't in a hurry for them. And for me, expense isn't an issue, heck I ride a beemer don't I? I'm willing to pay more for parts, but I better be able to buy those parts when I need em.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote