User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #9016
swag the stag
flush em out

Oddometer: 22
Question fuel cock

So I "rebuilt" the fuel cock on my 92 DR650 today. While running, fuel was spitting from the plastic layer of the vacuum assembly. (I really have no clue how this vacuum assemble works. On the inside, it looks like a tiny maze of plastic and rubber..)

I inspected all the rubber parts, and they seemed to be intact and pliable. So I just cleaned em, and put em back in. I replaced the spring inside the vacuum assembly with a stronger one. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but i figured it would cause more congruency between the parts.

SO when i put it back together, the leak was stopped! hoorah.

But now, apparently the vacuum is not functioning...

The bike will start if you prime the engine first, but once the petcock is switched to "on" the bike cuts off after about 30 seconds. I watched the fuel line while in the ON position, and there was a static bubble in the line, leading me to the conclusion that the fuel was not flowing. Turn it to "prime" and the fuel flows again.

My question is, is it safe to run the bike while
in the "prime" position? I know it said in the manual to not let the bike sit in "prime", as it will flood the carb.

Will running the bike in "prime" cause any problems?

I know most of you guys have the newer DRs, do they have the same fuel valve?

Thanks for any info.
swag the stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #9017
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Thumbs down Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Pay no attention to the thread Nazis..... they sound harsh, but really are just small fat balding old men who ride Ruckus's in their backyard....

its on my 'do' list. my 97 is just over 4000 miles now so I still have a ways to go before I break into a cold sweat. If I had 18K I would definitely take a saturday morning to secure that little devil. They say its a fairly easy job.
Hey Zapp! I'm not small or fat but I'm bald and old. A 97 with 4,000 miles? I think I know who's riding in their back yard. Stay in Jo Mama!
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #9018
racer 07
Lock & Load

Laugh Swag

Put the stock spring back in. There's not enough vacuum to over come the extra spring tension. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #9019
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Swag -

> is it safe to run the bike while in the "prime" position?

Yes. You now have an old style petcock with "PRI" acting as an "ON" postition and "ON" which is acting as an "OFF" postion. Should work fine.

Rick
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #9020
swag the stag
flush em out

Oddometer: 22
thanks bumpathump and racer. ...And i thought i was a genius for putting in a new spring

I think I may just leave it with no vacuum for now, just put it on prime when I wanna ride. Eventually I will get it fixed, but I've had enough trouble with this piece for now. At least it doesnt leak

swag
swag the stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #9021
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Hey Zapp! I'm not small or fat but I'm bald and old. A 97 with 4,000 miles? I think I know who's riding in their back yard. Stay in Jo Mama!
OUCH! 33 miles per month max. I'm not small or old Zapp, but that's pretty light riding even for the backyard...

Please post a pic of your "Ruckus". Never seen one...

garymonster screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 10:18 PM
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #9022
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 480
Can anyone explain how to mod the carb on my Ruckus?
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #9023
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Can anyone explain how to mod the carb on my Ruckus?
Don't bother. Converting to fuel injection is simpler...
Old 11-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #9024
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfield
...strange..I have never noticed any undue heat from my 06, but then i always ride with pants and boots...
RCF
Yes, that is the problem for me. I wear low top hiking shoes when riding and when in Florida wear shorts a lot. Anyway I fixed it good with the latest mod. I took the starter shield from Thermo Tec off the exhaust pipe and folded in into four layers encased in a piece of dryer vent pipe (thin aluminum). The width of this new shield is about 2" and about 10" long. I hose clamped this to the exhaust pipe near where the factory shield is and it works great. I can lay my hand on the shield now and it is cooler than the clutch case. When I am riding in Florida on the dirt trails with the temps above 75-80 for awhile, I previously had to keep my ankles away from the area of the exhaust pipe. Now I can keep my legs in tight to the gas tank for proper control.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #9025
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,645
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Well if the shoe don't fit, don't pick it up!

That's just the miles on the '97.... It gets time-sliced with my other two... the WeeStrom and the Blue Goose 02 DR. Eenie Meenie Mieniee..... and there is a small space in my garage... just about right for another 2-wheeler.....
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #9026
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 131
just a ride report..

did the zuk gel seat and.....IT WORKS GREAT!!!! all you soft ass boys telling me not to bother lol.....im 45 years old and guess im tough assed .cause it felt like a dam pillow to me .even a bit lower and wider .cant go wrong from where i sit !!!!thats all. great cycle,been in the high 20 low 30s every morning and it fires right up. but i do have to ride fist couple miles with the choke on !!
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #9027
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by u wish u could ride
did the zuk gel seat and.....IT WORKS GREAT!!!! all you soft ass boys telling me not to bother lol.....im 45 years old and guess im tough assed .cause it felt like a dam pillow to me .even a bit lower and wider .cant go wrong from where i sit !!!!thats all. great cycle,been in the high 20 low 30s every morning and it fires right up. but i do have to ride fist couple miles with the choke on !!
Just wait until your "old tough ass" squashes all that gell away from where your butt sits. Time will show you the weak points of that seat.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #9028
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 131
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Just wait until your "old tough ass" squashes all that gell away from where your butt sits. Time will show you the weak points of that seat.

i weigh in at 176 lbs. that gel better not sqeeze out with me on it. a little butt imprint wont be so bad. but i hope your either a big guy or wrong!!but im keeping the stocke just in case your a wise old timer that i shouldhave listened too!!
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #9029
racer 07
Lock & Load

Call us back after you've done a 300 mile day.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #9030
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
That gel seat ain't it, IMO. I've got a Corbin on order. Won't be here in time for a 300 mile ride this Sunday, though.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote