Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #9016
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey
Two things - the question of more than one shift at a time came up in the technical section of some bike mag or other and their response was yes it is hard on the tranny. I personally have no idea.

Second - it's really poor technique. You should use that clutch lever like a rear brake as you decelerate. Keeps the revs where they should be and helps maintain control.

Done speachifying.
Hey I wanted you guys to speechify!!

I'll make sure I improve the downshifting technique while trying to look cool and in control at the same time - difficult for a novice!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #9017
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
Thanks Trev

I'll take the bike in and have them check it out. Spoke to the mackie at the dealership and he confirmed the bike was fed proper mineral oil (not synth).

Got me worried. I've clocked around 550ks - hope there's no major damage or anything. Could be simple clutch adjustment - but then why does the problem arise only when the bike warms up??

Cheers
did u ask ur dealer what type of oil they use ,viscosity wise ? u might want to try a thicker oil that all depend on the temperature of ur surrounding since the problem occurs when ur bike warms up !!
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #9018
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
did u ask ur dealer what type of oil they use ,viscosity wise ? u might want to try a thicker oil that all depend on the temperature of ur surrounding since the problem occurs when ur bike warms up !!
That's crossed my mind. I'll check with the dealer. Cheers.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #9019
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,552
One little problem I have had with my DR650 since I got it last year with 1100 miles on it was the heat generated by the exhaust pipe on my tender young upper ankle. Today I decided to something about it and bought a Thermo Tec heat shield form Autozone. Unfortunately all they had was the model for a starter, but they do make a clamp on one for exhaust pipes (and a 4" x 12" version for motorcycles). Anyway I doubled the starter shield over and wrapped it around the exhaust pipe and the factory shield and secured it with hose clamps. Seems to do the job, but some of the plastic film covering the asbestos cloth melted, probably no biggie. The heat shield should even make the base gasket and oil lines stay a little cooler, but will let you all know if problems crop up. My hot little ankle does much better now when I am cruising on the dirt in low gears and slow speeds.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #9020
forkbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Correct me if im wrong but that sounds like its gonna build up alot of heat on the exaust pipe. Maybe causing damage from heat since its not getting much airflow to cool it down. 'Cause those pipes do seem to start glowing red hot even with airflow over them.
forkbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #9021
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Laugh Doc Ricketts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts
One little problem I have had with my DR650 since I got it last year with 1100 miles on it was the heat generated by the exhaust pipe on my tender young upper ankle. Today I decided to something about it and bought a Thermo Tec heat shield form Autozone. Unfortunately all they had was the model for a starter, but they do make a clamp on one for exhaust pipes (and a 4" x 12" version for motorcycles). Anyway I doubled the starter shield over and wrapped it around the exhaust pipe and the factory shield and secured it with hose clamps. Seems to do the job, but some of the plastic film covering the asbestos cloth melted, probably no biggie. The heat shield should even make the base gasket and oil lines stay a little cooler, but will let you all know if problems crop up. My hot little ankle does much better now when I am cruising on the dirt in low gears and slow speeds.
If you want to do this right, get some header wrap at a speed shop, auto zone, etc. More better.
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #9022
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbender
Correct me if im wrong but that sounds like its gonna build up alot of heat on the exaust pipe. Maybe causing damage from heat since its not getting much airflow to cool it down. 'Cause those pipes do seem to start glowing red hot even with airflow over them.
Still analyzing the situation, but I think I would rather have the pipe hot than the nearby oil lines and cylinder base. People wrap their exhausts on hot rods to keep the engine cooler, so same principle. I am most worried about my poor leg when the temperatures are high.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #9023
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
If you want to do this right, get some header wrap at a speed shop, auto zone, etc. More better.
I saw the header wrap at Autozone by the same company that seems to have the market (Thermo Tec), but the danged stuff was $50 for a package and I would have to hand wrap it around the pipe. The starter blanket is basically the same asbestos fabric without the tougher housing. I may order one of the clamp on tailpipe shields from Thermo Tec which would have been the ideal solution. I actually got a curved tailpipe extension with the idea of cutting it in half and making my own shield that matched the curve of the exhaust pipe and had the asbestos fabric inside, but the first solution may be okee dokey.
I think the hottest part of the exhaust pipe is the curved part where in comes from the head and makes the bend and that putting insulation on a 10" part just over the clutch housing wouldn't cause any problems. You see hot rods with the exhaust pipes wrapped to keep the heat off the rest of the engine and electrical.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #9024
rcfield
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Eh?

...strange..I have never noticed any undue heat from my 06, but then i always ride with pants and boots...
RCF
rcfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #9025
swag the stag
flush em out

Oddometer: 22
Question fuel cock

So I "rebuilt" the fuel cock on my 92 DR650 today. While running, fuel was spitting from the plastic layer of the vacuum assembly. (I really have no clue how this vacuum assemble works. On the inside, it looks like a tiny maze of plastic and rubber..)

I inspected all the rubber parts, and they seemed to be intact and pliable. So I just cleaned em, and put em back in. I replaced the spring inside the vacuum assembly with a stronger one. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but i figured it would cause more congruency between the parts.

SO when i put it back together, the leak was stopped! hoorah.

But now, apparently the vacuum is not functioning...

The bike will start if you prime the engine first, but once the petcock is switched to "on" the bike cuts off after about 30 seconds. I watched the fuel line while in the ON position, and there was a static bubble in the line, leading me to the conclusion that the fuel was not flowing. Turn it to "prime" and the fuel flows again.

My question is, is it safe to run the bike while
in the "prime" position? I know it said in the manual to not let the bike sit in "prime", as it will flood the carb.

Will running the bike in "prime" cause any problems?

I know most of you guys have the newer DRs, do they have the same fuel valve?

Thanks for any info.
swag the stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #9026
racer 07
Lock & Load

Thumbs down Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Pay no attention to the thread Nazis..... they sound harsh, but really are just small fat balding old men who ride Ruckus's in their backyard....

its on my 'do' list. my 97 is just over 4000 miles now so I still have a ways to go before I break into a cold sweat. If I had 18K I would definitely take a saturday morning to secure that little devil. They say its a fairly easy job.
Hey Zapp! I'm not small or fat but I'm bald and old. A 97 with 4,000 miles? I think I know who's riding in their back yard. Stay in Jo Mama!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #9027
racer 07
Lock & Load

Laugh Swag

Put the stock spring back in. There's not enough vacuum to over come the extra spring tension. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #9028
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Swag -

> is it safe to run the bike while in the "prime" position?

Yes. You now have an old style petcock with "PRI" acting as an "ON" postition and "ON" which is acting as an "OFF" postion. Should work fine.

Rick
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #9029
swag the stag
flush em out

Oddometer: 22
thanks bumpathump and racer. ...And i thought i was a genius for putting in a new spring

I think I may just leave it with no vacuum for now, just put it on prime when I wanna ride. Eventually I will get it fixed, but I've had enough trouble with this piece for now. At least it doesnt leak

swag
swag the stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #9030
garymonster
Banned

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer 07
Hey Zapp! I'm not small or fat but I'm bald and old. A 97 with 4,000 miles? I think I know who's riding in their back yard. Stay in Jo Mama!
OUCH! 33 miles per month max. I'm not small or old Zapp, but that's pretty light riding even for the backyard...

Please post a pic of your "Ruckus". Never seen one...

garymonster screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 10:18 PM
garymonster is offline   Reply With Quote