Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #13321
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 888
I hear ya. I just installed ProTaper ATV Hi bends and realised that i love their height. I dont need risers at all as i'd originally planned. But the pullback on them is not very nice if you are standing up and muscling the bike. You'd want straighter bars.
I've bent mine in a fall, so i guess i need new ones again. Damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR
ok, i bought some MSR bars today that had about 1" rise on them, but unfortunately they had some pullback as well, but im not even sure pullback is the correct word since the stock bars are almost straight across and these new ones are "angled" more, and im not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.... could help keep my elbows in, but i like the bars the way they are for the most part, i just wanted em to be a bit taller, hence the 1" higher bars.... im a very broad shouldered guy, so thats why i like the straight across bars with no angling on the grips... any feedback on the bars?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #13322
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Oh bugger; I figured they both must be on with the same tightness and since the bottom one was quite snug, I skipped the top one. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get her put back together by this Friday (heading out for some dual-sporting this weekend). I'll check it again when I get back from Alaska...

Oh, does anyone know what the torque should be for the bolts on the clutch-side engine cover? It doesnt state the torque in the manual. How does 7 ft-lbs sound? That's how much the cylinder head bolts needed.

Here's what I did: I didnt remove the brake lever as the bolts holding the master cylinder started to strip with just one turn of the hex head, so I left it alone. I pulled the clutch cover away from the bike as far as it could go, then I rotated the clutch cover counter-clockwise about 25 degress to get the gasket clear of the clutch basket (hey, that rhymes ) and then just eased the cover off. Reverse for re-assembly.
Jammin, thanks for the tip. did you have to replace the gasket? BTW awesome pix of the top end! I saved them all. I wonder if it's anything to be concerned with that the cam runs in the bare alum of the head casting?

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #13323
RDseize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Geezer
Wow... 1 year, nearly 900 pages and over 13,000 posts in this thread!

First post.

I'm a n00b to the board and the DR650... just came home with a brand-new black '08 SE yesterday. I already know I'm gonna love this bike.

Been riding over 40 years, but the last on/off thumper I had was an old mid-seventies XT500 Yammer, back in the late 80's. I bought the DR to ride all the dirt/gravel roads around here that I don't ride on my '07 Bandit 1250.

Didn't see an introduction thread here... but I have a LOT of reading to do. Starting with this thread.

Howdy!

I had a few of those XT's. Loved the sight window on the head so you could start 'em. Usually didn't need it. Anyway, I have the DR650 (07 bought new and beat to shit......at least it's well maintained). Tons of information here to wake that beast up. This place will be your mainstay.
Chabella
RDseize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #13324
Willbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
n00b

Hey I'm a n00b t00! Just passed the break-in miles on my blue '08. (and my GF's blue 200) looking forward to some mods in the near future, namely uncorkin, new anti-vibe risers, big bars, heated grips, bark busters, progressive forksprings, emulators, and something to enhance my gluttial comfort. I've really enjoyed reading this thread so far. I thikn I've read every page of it at least once!
Willbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #13325
Dirty Harry
Coffee Addict

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
Jammin, thanks for the tip. did you have to replace the gasket? BTW awesome pix of the top end! I saved them all. I wonder if it's anything to be concerned with that the cam runs in the bare alum of the head casting?
When I had my old DR apart for the base gasket, the cam bearings look to be well oiled. Im sure they have special surface machining as well for durability...
DH
2001 DR650 -sold
2005 DR650 -

DR's do it in the dirt...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #13326
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Thumb Tourance Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerFriesDrink
Hi. I may have missed it, but can anyone recommend some decent tires for 99% street use for the DR650?
Tourance is a good choice IMO. I run 70-30 and bike is set up for same. Tourance works great on wet or dry pavement. Good on gravel, rocks and packed sand. Not so good in mud or deep sand. Will bury itself to the axle in deep sand if you lose forward momentum. They wear good. I have 3,000 miles on this set and they look like new. I also used the Mefo and it was pretty decent in all conditions but tore the rear lugs loose at 5,000 miles due to my abuse (too low of pressure on pavement). I had no trouble with the Trailwings but wore the rear out in 3,000 miles. What works for me may not work for you. Depends on where you ride and how hard. Just my $0.02 Racer 07 PS. Try sw moto tire.com

racer 07 screwed with this post 05-07-2008 at 11:17 PM
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #13327
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
Jammin, thanks for the tip. did you have to replace the gasket?
No, I didn't because it's quite a solid piece and was fully intact. I applied a little RTV Silicone to the left side of the cover where there appeared to be previous Silicone.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #13328
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL
An M6 bolt with no markings or marked with a 4 is 4ftlbs. If it is marked with a 7 use 7ftlbs.

Cheers
Thanx Andrew.

BTW, do you use English units in Australia or is it all Metric? I'm a Metric guy but my torque wrench only has English units.

And just wondering... since it's a Metric bike, shouldn't the Metric bolts be marked with a Metric Torque value? Just curious... (it's 2 in the morning, must go to sleeeep...)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #13329
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
...I'm a Metric guy but my torque wrench only has English units.
Here is a nice on-line torque conversion tool: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/torque

Most torque wrenches have a little scale that reads both ft lbs and newton meters.

Motion Pro has a nice torque conversion table.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #13330
TTRanch
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Stainless Head pipe

Has anyone tried to polish the stainless head pipe? Mine looks like ass, and high heat paint turns to intake food for the guy behind me. I'm a cheap bastard and would rather spend the money on carb before header.
TTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #13331
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRanch
Has anyone tried to polish the stainless head pipe? Mine looks like ass, and high heat paint turns to intake food for the guy behind me. I'm a cheap bastard and would rather spend the money on carb before header.
I've seen a pic somewhere and it didn't look at all bad.
I'm tempted to try this myself.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #13332
TTRanch
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
I've seen a pic somewhere and it didn't look at all bad.
I'm tempted to try this myself.
Gotta try something, maybe I'll start with a scotch brite pad on a die grinder to get the ass off, then work my way finer with buffer wheel and various compounds. Then try and find a lighter exhaust can off something for free, not real worried about spark spitting and can re-jet to suit, more worried about weight and cost.
TTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #13333
natefalls
Stunt Cock

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Hi. I may have missed it, but can anyone recommend some decent tires for 99% street use for the DR650?
Cheng Shin Barracudas, man. Okay, they're basically 100% street, but if you're only gonna be offroad 1% of the time anyway, go with street tires. Hell, I rode my sportbike through 3 miles of Mojave sand once, and it worked just fine.

Also, I shit you not, you can get a front/rear set for under $100 total. A DR with Barracudas is truly the poor man's supermoto.
natefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 AM   #13334
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Bearing grease??

I've read time and again that we need to repack the steering head bearings. Is there a particular grease you all would recommend? I figure I better see to this since we're fixin to head to Alaska. Thanks

Sarah
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #13335
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Dunlop D607 - this is the stickiest, best-cornering dual sport tire you can buy. If you are into corner carving, this is the tire you want. Fairly inexpensive, too.

If you care more about longevity than street performance, Tourance. Expensive.

A good compromise between the two - Avon Distanzia. Handles better than the Tourance, lasts longer than the Dunlop. Priced like the Dunlop.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote