Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #14821
Evwan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
DR for the KLR fan...

Howdy all, first post so...

I purchased a DR650 last week, it was a pretty rough choice for the same reasons I've seen posted all over the forums...I'm just small. At 5'4 it seemed like most seats were just gonna be too high even with lowering. Getting up on most of the dual sports felt like climbing a jungle gym. I was really interested in a KLR. I have two buddies up here with them, I like what they did with the 08 models, all in all...I liked the bike. However, the more and more I tried to convince myself that I could fit on one, the less and less it made sense. Just seemed like to be sure, I'd need to get lowering links on one, and the low corbin seat...and then see if I could fit so I could maybe purchase one. To my surprise the local Kawasaki dealer did not want to do all that for free so I could test the seat height. On the other hand, the DR was fairly manageable at the stock height, so I figured with the low seat setting, and a shaved corbin seat...I'd be all set. So the deal was made!

I really enjoyed riding around the past week, but finally got some guys together and hammered through a bit of the lowering process (ie - pushed the forks up as opposed to the manual recommendation which I'd still like to do at some point when I figure out what "special tool" is). We decided afterward to hit Initial Point, here in Idaho and get the new bike into some dirt. I had a blast, so I'm not looking back on my decision anymore. What a great bike. Maybe, sort of, kind of high for me still...but I've got a lower seat on the way and I'm pretty comfortable so I'm feeling okay about it. More exciting was that I got through the ever so important first drop. Which was awesome, right up to the point where I went over to lift the bike back up and stepped on the mirror.

Point? You can spend as much money as you want on crash guards, but if you step on your mirror...it's gonna break. We got pictures to prove it.

Question: Anyone know what the tool is to keep the dampening rod from spinning? Where to get one?

Thanks guys!

Evan

08 Suzuki DR650SE

07 Victory Vegas
Evwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 AM   #14822
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evwan

I really enjoyed riding around the past week, but finally got some guys together and hammered through a bit of the lowering process (ie - pushed the forks up as opposed to the manual recommendation which I'd still like to do at some point when I figure out what "special tool" is).

Question: Anyone know what the tool is to keep the dampening rod from spinning? Where to get one?

Thanks guys!

Evan

08 Suzuki DR650SE

07 Victory Vegas
Welcome to the fold!
This thread on TT explains the special tool and has some pics of home made alternatives. The pipe fitting tool worked for me. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...light=lowering
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #14823
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Gel pad seat pad

I have been reading all the posts from the start and have only gotten to page 55 so far, long way to go!

I have an Alaskan Leather Sheep skin Buttpad for my BMW and just found out about the Sheep skin Gell Pad that they sell. I have done a search here and found nothing. Have any of you tried this product? I was hoping one pad would work on the BMW and the DR650. My BMW has the factory lowered seat and it isn't that comfy.

Enjoying your site, sure lots of posts to read! I actually pick up the new DR this Wed. as this is a holiday in Canada EH!
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #14824
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Only 'cause KLR owners are too cheap to spring for the extra metal involved in making a proper one.

hmmm. maybe i need to be riding a klr
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #14825
The Vert
Banned

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
I dont even really know what you are using, I just hook up a tube to the nipple on the caliper and bleed it, I didnt know there were special "bleeders" that you could use??? I'm sorry to hear your calipers got messed up, please get us a picture or a website for the product so we can be sure not to use it!!

Thanks, DH
The generic term is "speed bleeder". Made by various outfits (Russell, Goodridge come to mind). Looks just like a regular brake bleed screw except they have a spring and check ball inside. This allows one man bleeding. But the main thrust of my original post was in regards to the thread sizes on the bleeder. Most Suzukis apparently use 7mmx1.00, with a few exceptions, the DR650 being one. This difference is not noted by aftermarket suppliers. I was shown three examples of this by my vendor. So, if you ever order bleeders from aftermarket or attempt to use bleeder screws from another Suzuki model, just beware and double check the threads. Dont assume, like I or my vendor, did. Jus' tryin' to help is all.....
The Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #14826
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2
Man, I can't believe this bike, 6000+ miles in 4 months and still nothing has broke. It's like a Timex Watch. I've been thinking about a BMW 1200GS for my Alaska trip but I am starting to rethink... maybe the DR650 would be just fine for the job.

Cowboy2
DON'T DO IT!!
I did the same thing you are thinking about in 2004. I sold a perfectly good DR650 and bought an BMW 1150GS Adventure. Took me about 500 miles before I hated it. It was too heavy, too top heavy, too tall, and too everything I did not want in an off road mount. I sold the bike after 6 months and was glad to see it go. Bought another DR650 three days later. The DR's are so adaptable, un-assuming and affordable to ride and maintain they lull us into thinkng an expensive bike must be better. THEY ARE NOT.
If you want another bike to complement your DR look at a V-Strom, (I also have one of these) . Inexpensive, Suzuki dependability, and it won't cost you an arm and leg to maintain, a blast to ride great power with the ability to some off roading if you want.
1987 Honda XL600r
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #14827
Dirty Harry
Coffee Addict

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni
The generic term is "speed bleeder". Made by various outfits (Russell, Goodridge come to mind). Looks just like a regular brake bleed screw except they have a spring and check ball inside. This allows one man bleeding. But the main thrust of my original post was in regards to the thread sizes on the bleeder. Most Suzukis apparently use 7mmx1.00, with a few exceptions, the DR650 being one. This difference is not noted by aftermarket suppliers. I was shown three examples of this by my vendor. So, if you ever order bleeders from aftermarket or attempt to use bleeder screws from another Suzuki model, just beware and double check the threads. Dont assume, like I or my vendor, did. Jus' tryin' to help is all.....
Gotcha, I figured you meant some sort of one way valve... In a car I could see these being a godsend, but I just never thought about it for a bike since you can reach the brakes lever/pedal from either wheel (unlike a car). I wonder if you could use this opportunity to upgrade your calipers? That would only be beneficial on the street I guess...

Tanks for the warning!
DH
2001 DR650 -sold
2005 DR650 -

DR's do it in the dirt...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #14828
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,254
Quote:

I purchased a DR650 last week, Point? You can spend as much money as you want on crash guards, but if you step on your mirror...it's gonna break.
Words of wisdom in your first post. I was actually laughing out loud.

Welcome aboard.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #14829
The Vert
Banned

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Gotcha, I figured you meant some sort of one way valve... In a car I could see these being a godsend, but I just never thought about it for a bike since you can reach the brakes lever/pedal from either wheel (unlike a car). I wonder if you could use this opportunity to upgrade your calipers? That would only be beneficial on the street I guess...

Tanks for the warning!
DH
If there were a caliper and rotor (320mm) upgrade available I would use this as an excuse to do it. Havent seen that yet. Except for gravelly roads my DR is street only. I'm running a semi motard setup and with the ProCycle TM40 kit, she's a peach.
The Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #14830
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni
Hi everybody. This is a new one on me. I just found out the hard way that the brake bleeders on most Suzukis are 7mmx1.00 with a few exceptions. I ordered from my favorite DR650 supplier, among other things, front braided line (to short, but hey, things happen, no biggie) and speed bleeders. I damaged both my calipers because the DR650 calls for 8x1.25 bleeders. BE WARNED: dont be a doofus like me and trust other people who trust other people. DOUBLE CHECK!!
So anyway, just for hellery, if I order said bleeders specifically for the DR650.....and they send the wrong ones for whatever reason....are they even slightly responsible for my suicidal thoughts?
Thanks for the warning. I looked at speeed bleeders and was thinking about getting a set. I'm pretty sure that the catalog said that 7mm were the ones for DR650. I will definately check before ordering.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #14831
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardschok
Wasn't gonna say anything here, but after 3 beers, it was iching to come out.
In order to get more air through the filter, you would need the filter to have less restriction of the filter material. Bottom line is: a less restrictive filter, filters out less particles than a more restrictive filter. The K&N's do a good job of allowing alot of air in with a compromise in particle blocking efficiency. To help reduce the compromise, the filter uses the oil film to "suspend" particles that would normally pass through. With extreme dusty/dirty conditions, race teams use a foam pre-filter over the K&N. This pre-filter is extremely thin but, it blocks the larger particles from getting to the K&N allowing the oil film to do a better job of getting the smaller particles that pass through.
One must also understand that race teams usually have a run hour rebuild schedule of thier engines. They have factored in the effects of particulates entering the engine (as in wear) compared to horse power gain.

I would say that if you live in dusty conditions and you don't want to rebuild your engine sooner than normal, don't use the K&N. Or use a pre-filter if you insist on a K&N at least.

However, if use the bike in a "cleaner" environment such as the city, the K&N would be fine.

--Steve

oh, and I've got 105K miles from my K&N on my 250k mile Porsche 944if I mis-spelled anything , I blame the beer.
well put DR650Guy
I have been educated on the K&N filters,maybe better to run them on street bikes or dual purpose bikes that dont see thick dust,seems like I usually see more bugs and crap then actual dirt on my street bikes air filter. I always used em racing flattrack and they do flow well.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #14832
brother dan
Lost in my mind

Oddometer: 238
Quote:

I purchased a DR650 last week, it was a pretty rough choice for the same reasons I've seen posted all over the forums...I'm just small. At 5'4 it seemed like most seats were just gonna be too high even with lowering. Getting up on most of the dual sports felt like climbing a jungle gym. I was really interested in a KLR. I have two buddies up here with them, I like what they did with the 08 models, all in all...I liked the bike. However, the more and more I tried to convince myself that I could fit on one, the less and less it made sense. Just seemed like to be sure, I'd need to get lowering links on one, and the low corbin seat...and then see if I could fit so I could maybe purchase one. To my surprise the local Kawasaki dealer did not want to do all that for free so I could test the seat height. On the other hand, the DR was fairly manageable at the stock height, so I figured with the low seat setting, and a shaved corbin seat...I'd be all set. So the deal was made!
Congrats on a getting a great bike. I went through the same thing as you (I'm a bit taller at 5'7") and got the DR. I had it lowered (Michaels Powersports in Nampa) and traded up for a gel seat...2 years later I couldn't be happier! I'm thinking about putting the suspension back up though. Much more wheel travel for off-roading, that, and my skill has gotten better so I don't mind the height. Likely see you around the valley.
Big black 4.9 gallon tank/blue fenders...can't miss it. Oh, make sure you swing by Happy Trails down in Garden city. Ed (Capt Ed) gave me a lot of tips on the DR.

Dan

brother dan screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 11:49 AM
brother dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #14833
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
Air Horn.

I am an urban uber-commuter. So back when I still had my Strom I picked up a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn. I tested it, but never put it on.

Sold the Strom, just recently bought an '01 DR650. I tried to figure out a place to fit it, and I just couldn't find anywhere. It either interfered with the steering, was too close to the exhaust, or stuck out so far that it would have been sheard right off were the bike to go down.

Anyone here managed to fit a Stebel on their DR anywhere? Where did you fit it? Any pictures?
Anyone Find a different extremely loud air horn that will fit on a DR?
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #14834
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Just some pics of todays little adventure:

Thanks for looking!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #14835
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
Steibl horn

I hung a BAD BOY horn (same as Steibl but sold at harbour freight $35) just below where the stock disk horn was. I made a longer bracket attached under the cable holder. The catch is I have a IMS tank so the plastic cover in front of the tank is not there.
Sorry no pix
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote