User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
augiedog OP
augie dog

Oddometer: 686
2 650's, 2 retires, 2 months on the TAT

On may 12th 2014 my friend Alan and myself (Augie) will be leaving NC on a two month adventure on which we are going to attempt to ride the tat and several other side trips as we return to NC. We are going to be camping and hope to use the tent space section on adv when possible. We are not going to try and keep any sort of schedule other than returning home by mid july. I will be posting up as we travel whenever we can find internet service as we travel. In the next 2 weeks I will also be posting up more about our backgrounds, our trip planning, and what we will be carrying, bike selection, preparation and other things we considered important for for such a trip. I will try to post as many pictures as possible for those who are intrested in following along. I hope you enjoy my posts and will try to answer any qustions you might have. Here are a couple of pictures we took on a test run we made last year as we were riding on the Tennessee section of the tat.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Tamalerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Possibly moving to NC/SC in the next couple years so interested to see your route and travels. Thanks
Tamalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
LightWeight416
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Subscribed
LightWeight416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 532
I'm in!
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
bankska11
Where are we?

Oddometer: 53
Subscribed! I look forward to following the progress. Me and a buddy are looking to do the TAT next year starting in SC. What part of NC are ya'll starting in?
bankska11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 170
Looking forward to the reports.
How about some background info? i.e. bikes, bike setup, gear carried, maybe even some info on your ages, plans for food, recently retired???, is this your first off-road adventure???

Buddy of mine did the TAT a couple years ago. He carried camping gear strapped to his bike for 5,500 miles and never used it. He hotel'd it every night. He said there was easily a cheap hotel at every logical stopping point. Just curious what others are doing.

Good luck!
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
knuckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Subscribed.
knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Flynuly
FNG

Oddometer: 70
Subscribed! On my bucket list of "must ride" one day; look forward to your report.
Flynuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 645
Depending on how long you take to make Colorado, you may have to skip some of the high passes. Some of them won't likely be clear before mid-July. Never the less, it will still be a hoot. If you run into any trouble coming across Oklahoma , don't be bashful about hollering for help- there's a mess of inmates that will help if they can.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
SCGWarden
Give it the business

Oddometer: 21
Subscribed!! Myself and BanksKA11 will be following in your footsteps in the not too distant future.

Jason
SCGWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Koy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Subscribed, looking forward to this!
Koy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
=[BAD]=TEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
=[BAD]=TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
augiedog OP
augie dog

Oddometer: 686
tat prep

Here is a little background info on myself and Allen. Allen,(tripod al) is 66 years old and now lives in Iron Station NC, about 20 miles west of Charlotte NC.He moved to NC about 7 years ago from south Florida after he retiring from the survey he owned and sold. Living in south Fla he did a lot of enduro racing and hare scrambles events throught Fla and Ga. Being a land surveyor he is very knowledgeable with maps and topography. He is a diehard suzuki fan and dualsports a DR-650 and races a DRZ-400. He also owns several street bikes and rides most every weekend. He is an active member of the Charlotte ride group that meets every 3rd thursday and rides several day rides each month. We met on a dualsport ride in the smokie mountians in 2012 when one of inmates in a charlotte group ride I was leading broke down.( broken throttle cable) and he stopped to help. We became good friends and have spent the past 2 years riding together and planning this upcoming tat trip. I am 67 years old and have lived in NC all my life. I ( Augiedog) was borned in Andrews NC and spent my early years riding, fishing, and hunting in the Appalachen Mountians around Robbinsville and Deals gap area. I did some road-racing, motorcross. and enduro racing in my 20s and 30s. In 1989 I became very involved in long distance record and endurance riding.I Have made 3 trips from NC to Alaska, one on a FZ-1 and two on a KLR-650. I retired in 2009 and currently ride almost every day. I currently own 4 bikes, a honda CBX, a FZ-1, a Harley Ultra Limited and a KLR-650. These are the trusty steeds we will ride on this trip. Tripod Al and his DR-650 Augiedog's KLR-650
Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #14
parallaxbill
Old dude, new rider.

Oddometer: 152
Subscribed and looking forward to the reports augie!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #15
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 184
Go Augie go!

Subscribed!