Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #31
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,861
cool stuff man. Looking forward to the rest.

X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #32
OZYMANDIAS OP
RIP, Clayton...

Oddometer: 33
Puerto Vallarta

Hi Everyone-
Thanks Jason for posting those pictures. I rode from Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta yesterday, and though I'm getting a late start I'll try to make some more distance today. I'm finding that I don't like the tourist towns much, and will try to avoid them when I can from now on, though I did manage to land myself a juicy American college girl last night. Ole! In my research on this trip I often heard mention of small "mom-and-pop" type places where I could stay cheaply, and where they would cook me breakfast and what not. It may be me, but I'm not seeing them. Maybe I don't know what to look for, or maybe they will start appearing as I move further south.
So far the trip has been really interesting. Something notable seems to happen every day, and being out of my element is giving me a chance to practice patience and to fortify aspects of my character that are not usually taxed as they are down here.
I feel like I'm making good time, though I can already see that getting off of the interstate-like roads is going to slow me down tremendously. Passing trucks and such is fun, but many of the Mexicans drive like lunatics, and I often come around corners to face oncoming cars and trucks in my lane, causing me to brake sharply and pull to the edge of the road. I also need to find a way to cut costs, because I'm spending money at a much greater rate than I'd like to be. Besides, I've been reading the Motorcycle Diaries, and it seems that many of the adventures Che and his friend had were due largely to their lack of funds, so even if I'm not completely poor, I may be better off faking it, and I'm going to need something when I start school in the fall. Anyone from Nashville? That's where I'll be in August.
Well I'd better get on the road. I'll write again further on. Clayton

OZYMANDIAS screwed with this post 10-01-2007 at 12:19 PM
OZYMANDIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #33
OZYMANDIAS OP
RIP, Clayton...

Thanks

Oh, and thanks to RickMcD for the advice on my suspension. I adjusted it up to 5, and it's better. I decided not to lug my Clymer manual, following Gregory Frazier, and I have not regretted it yet, because I know I can count on everyone here for help.
Also, I wish I'd brought an Ipod or something. I got this Shakira song stuck in my head yesterday because I saw the video, and it was going around and around in there for about four hours. I was even singing it out loud, which was a little embarrassing even though I was the only one there. She's a hot potato, though. Yowzer. Clayton

Old 05-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #34
OMGWTF
Wherever I may roam

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZYMANDIAS
though I did manage to land myself a juicy American college girl last night. Ole!
LOL - strong work.

OMGWTF screwed with this post 06-01-2006 at 06:56 AM
OMGWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #35
OMGWTF
Wherever I may roam

Clayton's pics:

Old 05-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #36
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,530
Wow

This is the greates I want to do this asap.

till then

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #37
OZYMANDIAS OP
RIP, Clayton...

Acapulco

Hola Amigos! I'm in Acapulco, and it's pretty nice. I found a hotel for $120 pesos per night (about $11) and though there is no toilet seat, it came with complimentary tattered towel, soap, and two enormous, dead cockroaches on the bathroom floor. I met a German and an English guy last night, and we walked around and checked the place out. A garishly made-up hooker started walking along with me and grabbing at the family goods. I didn't really mind because I figured it was a free handful of ass, but when I got home I realized it had cost me the $400 peos in my front pocket. Live and learn! I camped out the other night, and thought to just sleep under the stars, until I found a scorpion while clearing the ground. "On second thought, I think I'll set up the tent." Lots of iguanas on the road, and I was thinking of running one over and taking it somewhere to have it cooked, but I was told it is illegal. Not so for armadillos, though, and the next one that wakes me up in my tent might get shish kebabed. I bought some gas from drums for the first time, and was a few liters short, so the girl offered to fill up a two-liter coke bottle she picked up from the ground and poured some liquid from. When I looked it had about a teaspoon of sand in the bottom, so I said no gracias. Thanks Jason for posting my pics. I have a bunch more on some disposable cameras, so I'll scan them when I get home. The truck is just my old beater, "Old Red", I had so regrettably to let go before the trip, and the boxes are more or less everything I own in the world, packed up nice and tight. I threw away or sold a lot of shit before I left, including all of my furniture. Well that's all for now. Wish me luck with the senoritas! Clayton
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #38
OMGWTF
Wherever I may roam

Bummer about the manwhore taking your 400 pesos.

Looks like you're making some progress, coming up on Guatemala very soon. What have the roads been like? Bike holding up okay?

PS. Clayton, I finally posted my pics from my trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141846

OMGWTF screwed with this post 05-31-2006 at 10:16 PM
OMGWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #39
OZYMANDIAS OP
RIP, Clayton...

Bad News

Hello Friends-
The bad news is that my trip is over. The worse news is that I had an accident, broke my back, and am now paralyzed from mid-chest down. It happened about four hours outside of Acapulco. A donkey was on the side of the road, and I went to go around him, but when he saw me he got startled and ran out in front of me. I was knocked unconscious, waking up unable to move my legs when some Mexicans found me.
Iím doing alright. My psychological state is good, and the doctor tells me the surgery, which was about six days ago, was a success. Although there is of course emotional pain to deal with, I have not been suffering a great deal in that way, but have rather been trying to keep my eye on goals Iíve set for myself, like starting law school on time this year. I still believe it possible for me to live a good life- I just have to learn to deal with this new challenge. I still want to write my book too, but of course it will have a different ending than I originally intended.
When I got to the hospital in Mexico, I asked them to go on the internet for the number to my Med Jet Assist insurance, to provide me with medical transport back home. The hospital did not have internet. I asked them to make a phone call but they wouldnít let me unless I gave them money to go buy a phone card. I gave the guy the about $40 US in pesos I had in my pocket, he took forever to get the card, and I was finally able to contact my mother for about a five minute call. When I asked to make another call, the man refused until I gave him more money, so I directed him to a $100 US bill I had hidden in my wallet. This bought me about another five minutes to Med Jet Assist. After that, I wasnít allowed any more calls, and was generally ignored. Simple requests were refused for no apparent reason, and I would sometimes spend long periods saying, ďPor favor?Ē while lying on my back in the hall, until one of the many hospital staff around would decide to stop ignoring me for a moment. I want you all to know about this, because if I hadnít had that insurance, something even more horrible may have happened to me.
My internet access is limited here, so Iím going to leave off for now. Iím pasting below a copy of a letter my Mom sent to her friends and colleagues. You have all already been very helpful and supportive of me, and Iím very grateful for it. Iíll let my Mom say the rest. Best to everyone, and Iíll be in touch. Clayton

Dear Friend and Colleague:
I am sorry to be writing to you with such sad and awful news, but a week ago today our son, Clayton, was injured in a horrific motorcycle accident. He was taking a trip through Mexico before entering Vanderbilt Law School in August. He was medivaced out of Mexico to the MethodistHospitalNeuroTraumaCenter in Houston, Texas, where I am now. He is now paralyzed from his nipples downward, and short of a future medical miracle, he will never walk again. We are blessed with having the kindest, most qualified surgeons and trauma professionals possible.
He is the bravest person I know, and has been a hero for his father and me. His willingness to fight and sustain is inspirational to his doctors and nurses. His dream is to make it to law school on time, and according to the rehab team, that may happen...however it will take a great deal of commitment and fight on his part. We are praying for that, and ask that you do the same.
Clayton had no insurance. The medical bills are enormous and while the hospital is trying to work with him and us to provide some assistance, he needs all the help that he can get. The costs are staggering. I am coming to you with hat in hand. So many have asked what they can do. The smallest contribution will make all the difference in the world as they add up dollar after dollar...
We set up a fund the: Clayton W. Schwartz Paralysis Fund
If you would like to make a donation, please make checks payable to the fund as stated and mail as follows:

Clayton W. Schwartz Paralysis Fund
c/o Marylyn Schwartz
35 Fleetwood Avenue
Bethel, CT 06801
All contributions will be used to pay medical, rehab and educational expenses directly related to his life circumstances as they exist today.
Please share this note with your agents/region (if applicable) or others who know me, will want to be aware of the situation and may not have been includedod bless you for the prayers, love and kindness we have received already
Marylyn B. Schwartz, CSP
President Teamweavers
Master Trainer for Leader's Choice
35 Fleetwood Avenue
Bethel, CT06801
203-798-8031
teamweaver@aol.com

Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #40
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,656
Real sorry to hear about your accident and the subsequent mis-treatment by Mexican hospital personnel. Thankfully you had evacuation insurance. It sounds like you have a good attitude which should greatly help with the healing process.

Two suggestions, you may want to set up a Paypal account for donations. it simplifies things. Also post this (or a link to it) in the "Face Plant" section of this site.

Best of luck to you. Let us know when you have Paypal set up. I have a few dollars sitting there I can send your way.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #41
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Our hearts and prayers are with you......

Sincerely,
Dale and Sandy (Buenos Aires)

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #42
michocolombia
Aventurero de Corazon

Oddometer: 293
I just got onto this thread today, and saw your last post. I am sorry and my thoughts are with you. But I have to say that your attitude is inspiring, keep moving forward!!!

I have received help in this forum for many different things and for many different purposes, you are lucky that you have a community like this on your side.

PM your way

Animo amigo que la vida sigue!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #43
tengai

Oddometer: 4,104
I'm sorry to hear about this. Try to stay positive. It sounds like you're handling things well so far. A prayer has been sent.
tengai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #44
tuumi
KLR -> Sprint

Oddometer: 415
Very sorry to hear about your accident. Your trip was an insiration to me and I was looking forward to each new installment.
Once a paypal account is set up I will donate.
tuumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
Iím really sorry to hear this sad news. My prayers and heart are with you. You are taking this new challenge with the right attitude and Iím sure you will succeed in achieving your goals. Iíll put a post on my website with a link to your account information and Iíll donate once you have a paypal account.

Iím in the process of planning a similar trip and reading your news has been a reality check about the dangers that are ahead of me. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.

I wish you all the best,
Salvador