Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #751
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
Does anybody have a Clayton sticker?
That's a great idea.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #752
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
That's a great idea.
I'm working on one and have spoken to Marilyn about it. It should be ready in a few weeks.
I'll post info when it's ready.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #753
10guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Thanks for the update raindog, sign me up for at least one.
10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #754
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Could we move these posts to the memorial T-shirt thread?

Clayton, we're thinkin of ya brother.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #755
Fred Dibnah
n00b

Oddometer: 1
TO Mum and Dad

Hi , I am so touched by this journey and all the surrport you have recieved. I lost my Daughter 4 years ago and the only thing i can say is that with the big hole in your life, you will learn to steer round it, move on when your ready and dont forget Clayton will never be forgotten. Take care Mel
Fred Dibnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #756
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Cry

Thankfully, we are not in control...God speed Clayton and all my heart goes out to your family!

I actually seen this thread in Ride reports and thought wow, this must be a great story because look at how many pages there are...and wow, it's actually a sticky! Got my 1st cup of coffee and began...NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!

Sorry, I'm a wreck...goin out to the garage and putting the passenger pegs down...your spirit will be with me always...out here

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #757
Mojave Jack
Time - two edged sword

Oddometer: 62
speechless...

Have seen this thread since I joined, but never read through until today...what a tragedy...I'll never look at the wild burros here in Riverside County CA the same: I'm a new father and question at times what price I am willing to impose on my 1 year old son for gratifying my pleasures that might suit a younger man without a young family...I will ride with Clayton along too! Words are just insufficient Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz...you are in our prayers
John K
Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #758
tomkinton
Iraq/Afghan Vet

Oddometer: 41
Clayton

Hi. I'm in for a sticker. Or ten. Maybe we could do something for Snell Foundation? Just a thought.

tom at bragg

3 x OIF

'Dude, that rug tied the whole room together!'
tomkinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #759
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
Cry

I just found this thread. I am speechless sitting here with tears in my eyes.

If there are stickers I would love to have one.
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #760
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
parents issues

Just wanted to know if Clayton's parents are knee deep in med bills?
If so, might be a good direction to put some of the donations for the stickers.
Just one sorry rider's opinion.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #761
Ozy'sMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Ozy'sMom

Dear Friends:
I am certain that you are wondering what happened to me since you all left me such wonderful posts at Clay's birthday??? Well, I swear that we have had the worst problems with me and the site. For some reason, that the powers to be could not understand, I could not log in or post. I struggled to log in, we finally got that right and then the site would not let me post... Well, I am glad to be here today and keeping my fingers crossed it will not shut me down...
Your thoughts and beautiful rememberences of Clay were delicious! I laughed, cried pondered and was awestruck by some of the most beautiful, and profound comments. Ilvecchio and Beemerchref, please know that I was deeply touched by sentiments you left. It was as though you were inside of my grief and touched a spot so deep...
His birthday was not as tough as it was thinking about the date comig closer. I was so depressed for two weeks, that by the time 9/20 arrived, I was reflective more than anything... While I wanted to go and look at his baby pictures and video of his first birthday that day, I was not ready. I am not sure when I will be, but I have learned that the scab on my grief is very fragile. I dare not tear at it unless I know I can handle the pain and bleed that follows... and it always follows when I expect too much from my self and push too hard.
Today is my mother's 79th birthday. Those of you who have read this tread have heard Clay refer to his grandma. They were so very close. Today she and I talked for an hour about how sweet Clay was remembering birthdays. He never forgot to make a fuss. Last year, in the midst of his pain, he sent her a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and a note that touched her deeply. We both agreed we would not remember whole days, as there were none that were not terribly painful. However, choose to remember cherished moments.
I am going to check my PM's now. Please accept my apology for taking so long to reply as explained above. I missed being here where the love and generosity is abundant! While you have told me what Clay has given to you, you have given it back to me in spades. Looking forward to many more visits with friends!
Love,
Marylyn
Ozy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #762
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy'sMom
Dear Friends...
Peace friend...and strength for those days when you need or want to take a look at those treasures in your home that remind you of him.

I'm glad to be able to come here and remember too and to share in it with all of you. Thanks for coming back to visit Marylyn, it feels good for some reason to come and see you here...grateful for being able to think about Clayton with you around.

Love to you and your family,

-Bill M.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #763
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
You are part of a huge family

Marylyn,
I am an adventure motorcycle rider. I dont know why I thirst for the time out on the road. It is not something I developed over the years, it is just a part of me, just as natural as breathing. Your son had this same spirit of adventure. Something or someone made him that way. You, his dad, grandma, or perhaps a little part of all of you. As a result, you are part of a family of fellow adventurers who dont just live to exist, but rather wring all that there is out of life.

I never knew your son, but I miss him. His story brought tears to my eye, and I assure you, that does not happon often. I wish he would have thought out how severely his action of taking his life would have effected you, his Grandmother and Dad as well as thousands of folk he never knew.

I pray for you often and hope that the fragle scab on your heart heals. The pain of loss never goes away, it just dulls.
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #764
k-80-123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZYMANDIAS
Hello Friends-
Finally! Everything is coming together and it looks like Iíll be leaving today. My plan is to stay with a friend in Portland the first night and try to make Salt Lake City by the third. Then Iíll take a bit of time to see Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon, visit a friend in Tucson, and cross the border at Nogales. Iíve now read a number of books on motorcycle travel in general and riding in Central and South America in particular, and I think I have a good leg up on things. Special thanks to Glen Heggstad and Gregory Frazier for writing their excellent and informative books.
All I can really report on now is what the preparation has been like, and there is no question that there was a great deal of work involved. At certain times it felt like a full-time job. Iím a novice rider, and have been pleasantly surprised by how much support Iíve received from the motorcycling community. You all have given me much valuable advice, and two new friends I made, Glen and Carl, have done a lot to help me get the bike properly upgraded- thanks guys.
The upgrades have been pretty extensive, but have already started to show their value. I never realized just how many things could be improved on a stock motorcycle. Glen, Carl, and I went off-roading a week ago, and I must have dumped the bike at least five times. With the improvements, the bike came out more or less unscathed, though I was a little beat up by the end of the day. It was a good learning experience, however, and I now have a better idea of my limits on the bike. My strategy on the trip is to play things very conservatively, for I havenít yet developed the skill to be pushing any limits.
For those of you who might someday be interested in doing some touring yourselves, I'm posting a list of the things I bought and their costs below. This doesn't include the cost of buying beer and pizza for the guys who helped me work on my bike! Iíll also keep track of my budget along the way. I project I should be able to average around $35 per day if Iím careful, but time will tell.
All the best to everyone, and Iíll write again soon. Here's my website again if anyone is interested:
http://www.houseofatreus.net
Clayton

$2950 2001 Kawasaki KLR650
$123.25 Bike Registration
$157.20 Sub-Frame Upgrade, Radiator Guard, Water Pump Guard
$20 Adventure Motorcycling Handbook
$24.97 CO2 Kit for Tires
$31 Spanish CDís
$16 Spanish Book
$12.79 Iron Zip Ties
$100 Motorcycle Safety Course
$82.85 Hand Guards Maier
$289.58 Immunizations, Bug Repellant
$1140 Pannier Boxes, Shift Lever, Skid Plate, Foot Pegs, Doohickey Upgrade Kit, Master Cylinder Guard, Clutch and Brake Levers, Chain Lube, Carburetor Vent Kit
$50.12 Low-Profile Oil Plug, Oil Cap and Wrench
$22.41 Thread Locker
$16.98 Fuses, Tie-Down Straps, Razor Knife, WD40
$250.20 Tent, Thermarest, Kayak Bag, Platypus
$262.01 Armored Textile Jacket
$25 Motorcycle Endorsement Fee
$27.15 Gloves
$11.71 Oil
$98.16 Liteguard, Speed Bleeders, Water Pump Seal, Oil Seal, Mirror Mount, Throttle Rocker, Quicksteel, Grips, Threebond
$58.58 Spanish Books / Motorcycle Books
$44.21 1 Gig Camera Memory Card
$16.55 Metric Wrenches, ľí Drive Ratchet, Allen Keys
$532.32 First Gear Riding Pants, Glove Liners, Gore-Tex Riding Gloves, Textile Motocross Gloves, Spare Fork Seals, Tire Patch Kit, Neck Warmer, Fog-Off, Stretch-n-Seal Tape, Wire Couplers, Oil Filter, Chain Breaker, Spoke Wrench, Spark Plug, Tire Levers, In-Line Fuel Filter, Spare Clutch Cable, Spare Throttle Cables, Spare Bulbs, Chain Lube, Grease, Metric Wrenches
$348 Velcro Straps, Tape, Tank Bag and Accessories, Motorcycling Books
$264.10 Corbin Seat, Mirror Vibration Dampeners
$25.97 130/90W H4 Halogen Bulb, Spare Fuel Filter
$20 Larger Kickstand Base
$52.29 Threadlocker, Snap Ring Pliers, Miscellaneous Hardware
$14.42 Small Vise Grips
$208.84 Progressive Fork Springs, High-Temperature Bulb Socket, Brake Saver, Bar Snake, Headlight Cutoff Switch, Fork Oil
$15 Spare Passport Photos
$10.87 Tire Pump
$5 Miscellaneous Hardware
$15 Toiletries / Medication
$21.76 International Driverís Permit, Brazil / Uruguay Driverís Permit
$180.39 Boots, Straps, Compass, Mosquito Net, Tent Pegs, Tent Repair Kit
$15 Parts for Tool Tube
$16.31 Rechargeable Batteries
$10.88 Alteration to Pants
$4.33 Hose Clamps
$13.03 Disposable Cameras
$36.49 Spare Face Shield, Mirror Eyeballs
$266.48 Spark Plugs, Spill-Proof Battery, Brake Bracket, Counter Sprocket Retaining Plate, Front and Rear Monster Tubes, Spare Countershaft Sprocket
$7907.20 Total

Clayton, somewhere up there I hope your reading all of this....some read your story and are sad......others are inspired by your adventure for life....you continue to provoke thoughts about riding and life....yours was too short......continue to ride on Clayton.

k-80-123 screwed with this post 10-17-2008 at 02:14 PM
k-80-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #765
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
I clicked this thread expecting to follow Clayton to Argentina. Like many others, I was shocked at the tragedy that unfolded.

I've since read every page of this thread, every comment. I think Clayton's story reasonated with me because not only did we share a taste for adventure and a passion for motorcycles, but from what I can tell we have a very similar physical appearance.

I'm overcome with a disturbed and disquieting feeling of guilt and apprehension right now. I feel terrible for skipping ahead in the thread to the "good parts" of Clayon's journey and I am filled with sorrow that our paths never crossed. His cosmology sounds strikingly similar to mine; I'm sure we would have been friends.

I am deeply sorry that his family has lost their son. But at the same time I am proud that Clayton had the courage to once more wrest the control of his life back from the terrestrial laws of being and circumstance that conspired to take it from him.

Marylyn, your grief is the most acute. Perhaps time will blunt the edge of this tragedy, but we can never heal from such a wound. Words of consolation fail me right now, but, if you permit me, the words of my favorite poet, Rainer Maria Rilke, have been floating through my mind as I have read Clayton's story. Maybe they will offer you some small comfort, as I believe them to be true.

"Let happy memories sustain you if your strength fails, they are always there, and their current does not run backwards, even across foggy country it floats toward the future."

Godspeed, Clayton. I'll see you when I get there.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote