Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
BUBB OP
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Geocaching - tried it yet?

There are a few us of on the cutting edge of one wonderful way to use your bike and gps to find new and interesting places. I have been hooked on geocaching since my first geocache a little over a year ago. Here is a link to a GPS/Ride Report where I recorded the experience: click here

Since then my wife and I have geocached in many states and in Europe. We have seen hundreds of places we never would have seen if we had not taken up the hobby.

Today we finished up the Alabama Delorme Challenge cache (link) Today we visited a historical site where a Union General pardoned a Confederate one after the Civil War and an old cotton warehouse in Demopolis left over from when Cotton Was King.

Earlier in the trip we visited a cemetary for German and Italian POW's from WWII.

There is not a vehicle for finding geocaching more fun than a bike.

Karl_L and Ccindyy in north Georgia:

Ccindyy and I in California

Ccindyy and I - you can guess where

Venice Italy - we still need to finish that multi cache...

There's a geocache behind my friends there.. This is the corner in Germany that General Patton had his fatal accident.

Our 100th cache in Panama City Beach, Florida

BUBB screwed with this post 05-13-2006 at 08:33 PM
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Kewaneh
Where am I?

Oddometer: 46
Yeah... I'm one of them too...

I've been caching since Oct. 2001. Most of my early finds were solo - just me and the GS - particularly because my wife thought I was nuts. It gave me a good excuse to go riding, not that I really needed one.

- Kewaneh (known as Kewaneh & Shark on Geocaching.com)

Cache found with my Brother-in-Law...
I'm with the BumbleBee, he's with the Purple Nurple GS

Cache Hide (See it? It's right there!)...

Moving a travel bug...

Virtual Cache...

New tools are no replacement for old rules.

Kewaneh screwed with this post 05-08-2006 at 09:36 PM
Kewaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
SKWERL
Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Congrats on completing one of the DeLorme Challenge caches--they're tough. I think riding a motorcycle gives us an advantage though when gas is over $3/gallon! I go by (surprise) SKWERL on GC.com as well. I finished the CA DeLorme Challenge last year and used my F650 and 1150GS for a good portion of it.

These last two were in a car, but that was because I couldn't persuade the missus to take the bike

And if any of ya ever decide to do the NV DeLorme Challenge (one of my hides), there are some nice roads out there too!

Caching, riding and photography are three of my hobbies and they definitely go well together!

bryan
2000 BMW R1150GS
IBA# 5818
SKWERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
crossfit_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Three days ago my buddy let me borrow his Map60CS for a while to see if I liked it. I have found 9 caches in the mountains of Colorado so far and I love it. I had heard about geocaching a while back but have not had access to a GPS until now. I got a Vstrom 650 last year and think this would be a wonderful way to get out and put some more miles on it. I have been on some hiking trails that I never even knew existed in my back yard. I agree that this is a wonderful hobbie and something I can see myself getting addicted to. Sorry no pics to post yet, but give me time.

Tony
crossfit_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
BUBB OP
lynch not Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfit_rider
Three days ago my buddy let me borrow his Map60CS for a while to see if I liked it. I have found 9 caches in the mountains of Colorado so far and I love it. I had heard about geocaching a while back but have not had access to a GPS until now. I got a Vstrom 650 last year and think this would be a wonderful way to get out and put some more miles on it. I have been on some hiking trails that I never even knew existed in my back yard. I agree that this is a wonderful hobbie and something I can see myself getting addicted to. Sorry no pics to post yet, but give me time.

Tony
Hang in there Tony - we got our 400th today - it was a 560 mile round trip to get there and back - some pretty heavy rain at times too. It was pretty neat, most of the trip we passed places where we had found a cache - memories abounded.

Here's where we parked the bikes - I know it says Private Property but this was the final final cache for the Alabama Delorme Challenge and we had special written permission.

on the way back we ate at my favorite place: link
Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
tamibird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
my son and i went out today and found our first geocache. it was so satisfying to finally find the cache, we are hooked!! it was too rainy to ride the bike. hopefully next weekend the weather will be a little bit nicer.

[IMG][/IMG]

tamibird screwed with this post 05-13-2006 at 11:47 PM
tamibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Family

Looks like a great time..
My daughter and wife are wanting to do this...
Just need to buy some cheap units....

We have a yearly trip to Fla from Indiana ... It usually takes us two days to drive down, looks like it is going to take us a little longer this year!
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
Bill A
Flabbio!

Oddometer: 31
Geocaching -- The New Nerdvonna?

A friend of mine, who enjoys geocaching with his 11 year old son, recently asked me if he could use our facilities at work to host a dinner event, during which geocachers could meet in real life...not unlike the motorcycle rallies for this site.

I figured it would be harmless enough, and I was willing accommodated the request.

I came by the night they met and was FLOORED to see in excess of 200 people meeting to discuss geocaching! Being intrigued by the size of the crowd, I entered the room to walk among the geocachers and

Oh My Sweet Goodness!!!

It was revenge of the nerds! Seriously! I think I even saw some Spock ears and pocket protectors. They were feasting on Pizza and Mt Dew Code Red!!!

So, I guess I don't get it.
What is the attraction? Why are so many people doing this?

Would those of you involved in this please explain this phenomenon to me?

For those of you as unaware as I:
http://www.geocaching.com/

Oh, and FWIW: I have since purchased a Germin Quest that I use all the time, but I have yet to do my first geocache.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
The 'caching is fun

the arguing with the cache reviewers to get a cache posted is not. I live near 3 wilderness areas- well, no, ya can't ride the bike IN, but you can ride TO- and wanted to put virtual caches in some spectacular spots. Cache reviewers said no. I persisted, and tried every way I could to comply, but they were determined. They won the battle. There's no virtual cache there. But they lost the war. I don't proliferate caches anymore, nor do I promote 'caching to friends. The cool locations I wanted to share? Guess you'll have to go along with me on a trip. Geocaching? Bah....

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
BUBB OP
lynch not Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
the arguing with the cache reviewers to get a cache posted is not. I live near 3 wilderness areas- well, no, ya can't ride the bike IN, but you can ride TO- and wanted to put virtual caches in some spectacular spots. Cache reviewers said no. I persisted, and tried every way I could to comply, but they were determined. They won the battle. There's no virtual cache there. But they lost the war. I don't proliferate caches anymore, nor do I promote 'caching to friends. The cool locations I wanted to share? Guess you'll have to go along with me on a trip. Geocaching? Bah....
I'm no expert on placing caches but it my general understanding that you're not allowed to place caches in national parks and they are no longer approving virtual caches.

I wonder if a offset or mystery multicache would work? From the website:

Quote:
Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers NEVER deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
I'm no expert on placing caches but it my general understanding that you're not allowed to place caches in national parks and they are no longer approving virtual caches.

I wonder if a offset or mystery multicache would work? From the website:
My original argument for not placing a cache was that it was a wilderness area, and as such, shouldn't have people wandering, digging, and whatever else trying to locate a hide. The reviewer simply INSISTED that I place a cache. I have more sense than that, and refused.

They may no longer approve virtual caches, but they did when I asked. My beef was with the inequity with which the decision to approve or not was made.

Don't get me wrong- if you and yours are having a good time- I'm happy for ya. But my experience was that the reviewers took the joy out of the process for me. I still maintain 1 cache I placed years ago, before this came up. But there'll be no more from me. The many locations I have that would make good sites, will simply be quiet and peaceful.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #12
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
I've been doing this for a year now. I'm going out today to do some close by the house. I will be doing one of my own aimed at the offroad rider in a couple of weeks. It will be on the Swiss trail and I'll let ya know when I get it done. On the Geocach I'm GSriderCO....... I have my sister hooked on it also.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Kewaneh
Where am I?

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A
...So, I guess I don't get it.
What is the attraction? Why are so many people doing this?

Would those of you involved in this please explain this phenomenon to me?...
This is like someone asking why we ride motorcycles. The first thing I thought was 'If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand'. On the surface, Geocaching IS geeky (or dorky). Actually, it's a bit geeky beneath the surface too, but it is fun, if you let it be. Most of us ride for the adventure, particularly those riders who frequent this site. Geocaching can be an adventure - it can take you to places you've never been, or places you never would have seen if you hadn't gone there looking for a cache. Many times, the cache itself isn't the value of the cache, the location is. Caching can also be as extreme or as family friendly (read: tame) as you want it to be. While riding to Alaska or competing in the Baja 1000 may be fun for most of us, doing it with your 4-year-old (or great-grandma) is probably out of the question.

I'll admit that I was bewildered by geocaching when I first heard about it. (I remember telling my wife that 'the DOD satellites are NOT toys and shouldn't be used for games!') I remember thinking about the pocket protectors and vulcan ears too. But then I tried looking for one... then another... and another... next thing I know, more than four years have passed and I've got over 850 cache finds in 8 western States. I love riding my bike, but I can't bring my kids along to share the joy, but we can all go treasure hunting.

- Kewaneh
New tools are no replacement for old rules.
Kewaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #14
viking66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Bill A, thanks for cracking me up!

I had to clear that hurdle when I began the geocaching thing. I was asked if id like to help place a couple of caches on some trails Ive walked for years. I thought I was littering. I then learn what CITO was about: Cache In Trash Out. I felt a little better. I was getting hooked; if you've ever wanted to find burried treasure, and actually find something, this is great!
Then came the ORGANIZED EVENT...
OK, I didnt know what to expect, but it was wisley held at a micro brewery, whats to loose? So, I show up and scope it out from the side lines and witness
'cachers in their gathering. Its an odd assortment indeed, but no fear, I buy a beer and jump right in. Beer helps. Alot. Those guys guys are nicley accomodating to the newbies as they bantered about the years finds and hides. And trading coins. Its all about coins I began to think.
I ended with the thinking that I may have witnessed a Star Trek convention or some sect there of. I wasnt sure Id ever get clean. A year later, Ive met some nice people, and made some good friends.
In short; RUN! it could happen to anyone!
viking66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
rexr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Let's get this thing started again..

Hello to all of the other geocachers out there.. The wife and I just started and are having a blast... Haven't done any on the bike yet but will soon..

Rex
"rexr" on geocaching.com