ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Any Tall guys riding a V-Strom?

Just curious if the VStrom is Big and Tall guy friendly? I am 6'5 245lbs. Rode a GSA for a few years and sold it. Would love to get another one but times are tight and the money isn't there for another GSA. I want to get back riding the the Vstrom has always caught my eye. If any of you are a larger rider and don't mind giving your opinion and maybe even posting up a pic so I can see how much room there is on the VStrom I would appreciate your opinions and photo's. Thanks... One last question. Looking to spend probably around $8k max. What years are ok and what years do I want to stay away from?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 645
I'm 6'3", 220 and have plenty of room on my '04 DL650. It wasn't bad stock, but with a DL1000 seat, it's considerably better. The bikes themselves sit at the same heights but the stock seats are different. I've never ridden a GSA, but my 'Strom doesn't seem any more cramped than a regular GS, possibly a bit less so. A taller windshield might be nice, but the stock one isn't terrible.

All years are equally reliable. I don't know the 1000s that well, but the 650 had a few changes along the way, the big one being 2007 where the engine got twin-plug heads and a better ECU and the swingarm was slightly lengthened. Only 650s ever had ABS if that's important to you.

$8k can buy two well-maintained older V-Stroms with a few bucks left over if you shop around, especially this time of year. Worth noting is that both engines are known for longevity--there's no shortage of 100k mile bikes, and there are a few out there with over 200k on them. I've got 87k on mine. MSRP for a 2011 DL650A was $8099, so $8k should be able to score a new one out the door plus some money for farkling this time of year.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Maybe I am way far off on this statement I am about to make cause I have never ridden a 650 VStrom but wouldn't it be underpowered for someone my size with luggage etc. loaded for a multi week trip? I figured I would need at least a 1000cc but like you stated the 1000 does not have ABS and that is a must for me. Didn't realize the 1000 didn't have ABS. Thought that was pretty much standard issue since 07 or so on most bikes? So what about the power of the 650? Would be probably 90% slab riding with occasional dirt roads hear and there... Just hard for me to imagine a 650 not being underpowered...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Maybe I am way far off on this statement I am about to make cause I have never ridden a 650 VStrom but wouldn't it be underpowered for someone my size with luggage etc. loaded for a multi week trip? I figured I would need at least a 1000cc but like you stated the 1000 does not have ABS and that is a must for me. Didn't realize the 1000 didn't have ABS. Thought that was pretty much standard issue since 07 or so on most bikes? So what about the power of the 650? Would be probably 90% slab riding with occasional dirt roads hear and there... Just hard for me to imagine a 650 not being underpowered...
I'm not that much lighter than you, and I have three Givi E45 cases on mine for longer trips (I run just a top case normally because I split lanes a lot). It's running a lot of RPMs, but it'll do 100 loaded down without much complaint. It's quite nice at any speed under about 80. It does burn through the gas FAST when I speed like a Californian.

It appears that even the "new" 2012 DL1000 won't have ABS available, so if ABS is a must, you're stuck with the 650. There are pages and pages of 650 vs. 1k threads here and over on Stromtrooper, and it's sort of a touchy subject for some folks.

All I'm going to say about the 650 vs. 1000 is that the only time I *need* more power is if I'm doing something very illegal uphill at altitude. I *want* more power a lot of the time, but the 650 is still faster than 98% of vehicles on the road, and if I drop a gear or two I can still pass cars very quickly.

I also have a KLR650, and it's just no comparison, as you might expect with 62hp vs. the KLR's 38. The KLR actually is slow, the DL not so much.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
The 650 should be fine, I'm 6',2", 240. I kept thinking I wanted the 1000, but really the 650 has some get up and go, don;t have a lot of riding time on it but I'm really happy I went with it, time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Just curious if the VStrom is Big and Tall guy friendly? I am 6'5 245lbs. Rode a GSA for a few years and sold it. Would love to get another one but times are tight and the money isn't there for another GSA. I want to get back riding the the Vstrom has always caught my eye. If any of you are a larger rider and don't mind giving your opinion and maybe even posting up a pic so I can see how much room there is on the VStrom I would appreciate your opinions and photo's. Thanks... One last question. Looking to spend probably around $8k max. What years are ok and what years do I want to stay away from?
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I'm 6' 6" tall and 280 lbs. Rode a 2009 650 Wee Strom for a little over a year.

With the 1000 seat on it, you'll be fine with the 650. It did everything I asked it to. Riding two up with fully loaded gear, I would have liked additional power. Riding 1 up with a loaded top case, it was fine and comfortable.

I also owned a 2007 GSA, and it definitely had more leg room than the wee. It also had problems, whereas the Wee did not.

Right now I am without a bike and thinking about a Tenere in the Spring. I like the shaft drive and the additional displacement.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
BlueSkyGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Well

To be honest leg room even with a thou saddle is going to be tight with your height and inseam is going to be likely 36". DLL650 is a good choice money wise among other reasons. Check out custom saddles with added height and you'll way ahead.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

No doubt. I have a 36" inseam and it was tight, with the 1000 seat.

I really liked the bike though, and I like the looks of the '12 even better.

With an $8K budget, I don't think there is a better or more reliable option out there than a Strom.

Other than the GSA though, there really isn't a bike available that doesn't look "undersized" with my on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

I can only post one photo at a time apparently, so, for comparison purposes, here's the GSA
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Lots of size-modifying farkles available for the Wee. Higher seat, bar risers, peg lowerers.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,613
I had a 2004 DL1000, great bike. I'm 6'8" and 325 lbs.with a 40" inseam. I had 2" Rox Risers and Pivot Pegs. I put over 30,000 miles on it in 31 months.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
damn that thing must have looked like a minibike under ya
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
damn that thing must have looked like a minibike under ya
I haven't found one yet that doesn't !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
getset
----GO----

Oddometer: 123
I am 6'4" gangly fellow with a 35" inseam and ape like arms (not the muscle part just the length). Once I added a Corbin seat and atv highbars it became wonderfully comfortable. I also added 1" riser links to the rear suspension, and dirtbike pegs that lowered them a bit. The windshield is the only aspect that I struggle with. I have an 03 so the options are limited. for two up touring I use a Cee Bailey that I added an extra 3" to. However, it usually has a stock windshield that I cut flush with the top of the fairing and painted black. Thinking of tearing the whole front off at this point.

cheers-
getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
fender5803
Fender5803

Oddometer: 40
yes

I agree tall can fit on the Strom. I have a 2004 with 2008 DL1000 seat. I put RichLand Ricks lowering kit on for the pedals. I fit fine at 6'3 220lbs. Inseam is 34 or 35. Lowering the pedals was nice, and easy to do, once I got the old bolts out. I think the 2012 is a little taller in the seat but not positive. I think I tilted the bars up a tiny bit for longer arms I have and mirror extenders helped see better.
best, dt