Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #196
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
5 months and 10,000+ miles.

It's fine. Yes, it bounces on it's mount a bit. Put more crap in it and it stops. Not quite 100% waterproof, but there is only ever a few drops of water in the bottom, even after a 300+ mile day in the rain.

Undo four screws on the inside and the orange piece comes off, then you can pop out the red "reflector" and put a real piece of reflective tape behind it. Much better.

I used the JS Whitney box for a little over a year. It came with the bike. I hated it. It rattled around too much. I was afraid it would fall off it it was not bolted onto the mount. The latch is so flimsy that security is just an appearance.

I recently replaced it with the Givi is is stolen from, er, I mean copied. The Givi is a much better case, albeit more expensive. You get what you pay for. Is this something you really want to cheap out on?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #197
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 755
Givi rack w/pelican 1500's bolted on [ no fancy mount, just bolted on]

Not huge capacity or quick release, but simple,cheap [used rack , $100 ?, used cases from flea market, some bolts from the rack worked, needed a few longer ones from the hardware store] I can unbolt it with a allen wrench and a multitool in less than 5 min and I use liners to carry stuff into a motel, etc., so I am not removing it often. [rarely in fact].

I like the proportions and it has been enough room for solo travel.I use a waterproof duffel as a top case, but I like being able to lock the side cases.I had some soft bags and I much prefer these.

I don't remember the actual cost breakdown, but I think I did this setup for around $260 after buying the rack, cases, shipping, extra bolts, and 2 liners from a local canvas repair shop.
dcwn.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #198
Chimone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
anyone have a photo of their bike with the Suzuki TopCase? I ordered one when I picked up my Wee and it should be in sometime this week. I just wanted to see how it looks beforehand
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #199
degrees23
the fzr is mine

Oddometer: 13
I went with the h&b gobi's with the ktm logo of course(ebay), quick release racks, and the always useful milk crate to hold fuel, oil, and whatever. This was for a trip to Mexico this winter and everything worked great. I crashed in some mud at about 20mph and the cases and my handguards are pretty much all that hit the ground(plus me). It bent the side rack behind the case but that just took a crescent wrench to bend it straight. I would recommend some kind of strap(bright ugly orange) because the clip for the gobi's is kinda weak. but the straps hold them in real well.
91 fzr track bike
degrees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #200
COBAUM
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
Carribou Cases

I went with the Carribou Cases. I LOVE them. One of the best farkles I ever bought. If you are financially challenged, you can use Pelican cases without the fancy mounts. I like the way the mounts are keyed with the same key htat locks the case. Works like BMW cases. Very sharp. The only thing about Pelican's is when they sit in the sun you have to "help" them closed. They do not align properly when they are hot.

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #201
2Gordons
Parts left over...

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by degrees23
I went with the h&b gobi's with the ktm logo of course(ebay), quick release racks, and the always useful milk crate to hold fuel, oil, and whatever. This was for a trip to Mexico this winter and everything worked great. I crashed in some mud at about 20mph and the cases and my handguards are pretty much all that hit the ground(plus me). It bent the side rack behind the case but that just took a crescent wrench to bend it straight. I would recommend some kind of strap(bright ugly orange) because the clip for the gobi's is kinda weak. but the straps hold them in real well.
Degrees23:

Got any more pics of the rack system on the Kawi? Looks kind of unusual... Thanks,

2G
2Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #202
FLANKER
Be Prepared.

Oddometer: 102
Eh? where do you find this stuff????

I give up.
i scoured the net trying to find the following for my DL650:
with (wonky) ortlieb saddlebags and mottofizz tailbag (which i like alot)

1. the DAN VESEL LUGGAGE SUPPORT BAR. Been to his site.......nice. but no prices, no ordering info. i'm interested in his products.

2. pelican 1430's with SW motech rack.......where do you get the cases, and how do you mount them?

3. CHERDAN bags? again, where can i find those?

4. DIRTBAGZ RACKS they emailed me back saying they're not sure if ortleib bags will work with their racks.......wiil they?.....and they never gave me a price! i love canada, c'mon guys help a yank (with a weak $) will ya'?
FLANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #203
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANKER
I give up.

1. the DAN VESEL LUGGAGE SUPPORT BAR. Been to his site.......nice. but no prices, no ordering info. i'm interested in his products.

2. pelican 1430's with SW motech rack.......where do you get the cases, and how do you mount them?

3. CHERDAN bags? again, where can i find those?

4. DIRTBAGZ RACKS they emailed me back saying they're not sure if ortleib bags will work with their racks.......wiil they?.....and they never gave me a price! i love canada, c'mon guys help a yank (with a weak $) will ya'?
Well Flanker, this is my plan in the next coming weeks.
Panniers i'm getting from KLR650.com and I'm putting them on the SW-Motechs (these will be more expensive) but I like the idea of lockable & quick release.
Hope this helps.
choccoloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #204
PK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Give E36's Nice for bigger trips and they keep out the water.

Not bad in the sunshine either.

PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #205
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:

I would stay away from Dirtbagz racks. They are not strong enough even for dirtbagz, let alone a larger bag. Two riding buds have them and they have both broken the racks.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #206
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
I give up.
use the email link on his website, he has been responsive to my questions via email, I just don't recall what I did with the price list he provided.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #207
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Here are some pictures of my DL650A K7 with Pelican 1550's (35 liters each) I mounted on SW-Motech Quick Release Racks. With some measurements if it helps. (people always seem to ask for this)

Name:  Vstrom-Pelicans.jpg
Views: 20443
Size:  104.7 KB

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #208
d240t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
d240t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #209
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb Nelson Rigg Soft Saddlebags & Trunk

Attachment 162600

1LIFE2LIVE screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 10:29 PM
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #210
Oldschooler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I give up.

Here ya go http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...ies/page2.html His email mailto:CHERDAN@webtv.net

Here's my bike loaded up with his side support
Oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote