Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #46
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
E360 side cases on Givi Racks and a E450 top case with it's own rack. I picked up the keyed lockset from Givi so all use the same key. The E360's hold up well when the bike is thrown down the road.
I was referred here from the V-strom forum re: questions on luggage:
Goal: LD touring (possibly for 10 months) on DL650 K6.
The Hunt:
1. topcase choice narrowed to Givi E450 or E460. Almost same size/capacity. Which has better integrated stoplight? (will be storing laptop in this)
2. sidecases: want to keep as narrow as possible and not compromise ground clearance (I am lowering the bike a bit; I'm vertically challenged). I prefer toploads, quick release/mount for removing and taking into camp/motel. Would like to mount rack on top of sidecases for tent/bedroll.
3. Comments on desirable capacity for LD touring. Most of the toploaders are relatively small capacity (~21 L).
4. Cost, cost, cost. Always an issue, aye?

Thanks
Glad I found you folks.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #47
Holmes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
white trash top box

For a more low budget / white trash solution, a small Rubbermaid 'action packer' bolted to the bike rack will work. I had one sitting around, picked up some longer bolts at the hardware store (to replace the existing ones on the rack) along with a pair of small padlocks to secure the lid. Also beefed up the bottom of the box with a thin piece of scrap plywood. Total cost was about $10 using what was at hand.
Attached Images

Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #48
ecujim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Here is mine

Givi V46 top case and E41N side cases

ecujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:33 AM   #49
TexasShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecujim
Givi E41N side cases
Cool; I was wondering how these 'worked'. Question: in addition to the combo lock 'flap', does the entire side of these boxes open, too? Also, what's the overall rear width with these bags? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:35 AM   #50
TexasShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
Cool; I was wondering how these 'worked'. Question: in addition to the combo lock 'flap', does the entire side of these boxes open, too? Also, what's the overall rear width with these bags? Thanks.
I just went to the Givi site and noticed "supplementary lid" in the descrip for the E41's. That answers my first question. :/
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #51
TexasShadow

Givi top case stop lights

Anecdotal comments on these? How functional are they?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #52
ecujim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Yes, they open like this, but i have not mesured how wide they are
ecujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #53
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
I have been looking at panniers for the V-Strom. Coming from Jesse bags on a GS, they all seem really wide. Would you guys mind measuring the width of your panniers for the sake of comparison?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #54
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,397
Rear Width with Luggage Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kleponis
I have been looking at panniers for the V-Strom. Coming from Jesse bags on a GS, they all seem really wide. Would you guys mind measuring the width of your panniers for the sake of comparison?
Chris,
check this thread from the V-Strom board

Rear Width with Luggage Systems
http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=108778151596

Larry
Old 05-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #55
TexasShadow

Bags, bedroll and tent; Oh My!

So where do y'all load your bedroll and tent? That will influence both my top case and side case selections. I was considering strapping to the top of each side case, but the Givis don't look amenable to that approach.
Suggestions? Pics?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #56
sulman
introvert

Oddometer: 172
Givi E36s on Givi Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kleponis
40.75 inches.
sulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #57
afm956
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Woot, lotsa nice luggage setups on this thread.

Last night my 650 got a 45-liter Givi topbox and mounting plate. As I joked on a different bbs, if you look up the word "vague" in Webster's dictionary, there will be a pic of Givi installation instructions.

But like most mods, if you scratch your head a few minutes, then go ask the wife for help, the install will go more smoothly. It was in her interests to help me anyway since she's the one that gets to lean up against it. ;)

I'm gonna wrap the box with reflective tape too. Here's a shoddy photo I took in my dim dark garage last night.

afm956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #58
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Because I'm cheap. Givi side rack with pelican 1520's mounted using Happy Trail Pucks.
Do have a part # for the Happy Trail pucks and/or a close up pic of the bags on the Givi rack??
Old 05-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #59
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
E450 comes with it's own mounting plate and is thus cheaper than the E460 which needs a seperate base plate. Integrated stop light is a joke IMO and not worth the cash. Buy the Maxia 52 top case for the best storage and lighting (most dollars too) I put my laptop in the E450 I have for my trip to Ky last summer.

Buy the E360 or E36 as they are not too bad and the Cheapest you'll find with decent storage. If you can't legally lanesplit what does it matter how wide the back is??? I like having the wide back end as I have reflective tape and hopefully the brain dead cagers will see me at night

My Strom is running Koubalinks (1 1/8 lower) I'm within 1/4" of the edge of the tire and nothing has scraped yet

My longest day was around 750 miles and longest duration was 10 days. We also ran 3500 miles over 5 riding days with one play day on the Dragon. I found the Strom to be extremly comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
I was referred here from the V-strom forum re: questions on luggage:
Goal: LD touring (possibly for 10 months) on DL650 K6.
The Hunt:
1. topcase choice narrowed to Givi E450 or E460. Almost same size/capacity. Which has better integrated stoplight? (will be storing laptop in this)
2. sidecases: want to keep as narrow as possible and not compromise ground clearance (I am lowering the bike a bit; I'm vertically challenged). I prefer toploads, quick release/mount for removing and taking into camp/motel. Would like to mount rack on top of sidecases for tent/bedroll.
3. Comments on desirable capacity for LD touring. Most of the toploaders are relatively small capacity (~21 L).
4. Cost, cost, cost. Always an issue, aye?

Thanks
Glad I found you folks.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #60
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
the E450 and E460 can't be compared; the former is a scooter case, which is much cheaper construction. If you are going to do that, get a cheapie from ebay or jcwhitney or just use a lunch pail.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote