User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,119
What's your idea of a perfect holiday?

Well, I will get the ball rolling with my personal view: for me a perfect holiday involves -

Going places

... the further off the beaten track the better...

Gorgeous countryside

Gorgeous trails

Gorgeous men (hope Possu doesn't read this too closely...)

A bit of sunbathing

But sunshine is not always mandatory - you wouldn't get views like this...

Challenges

... and not just on the bikes

(Photo courtesy of Sir Fallofalot)

Temporary failure

Teamwork

Improvisation

Fascinating wildlife

Good food

... and drink

A bit of history

Meeting the locals

And, most important of all, great company!

... with a good share of banter

... and lots of fun!

(Photo courtesy of Prelive)

So after this epilogue, you might not be surprised to hear where we went for that perfect holiday...

Yep, after the 'Anthill Tour' in 2013 and the 'Not-for-the-faint-hearted' Trip in 2014 we headed for Portugal again!

This time our riding mates were chosen from a bit closer to home; all being friends from the Oxford TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship). May I introduce you to our companheiros?

Prelive

Riding a CRF250L

Bill Mc

On his mighty CRF230F

Charles

On his Husky TE250

Sir Fallofalot (not so often anymore, I have to acknowledge...)

On his trusty WR250

Dr JM

On her special 'Quality Street' edition of a 350EXC

Berin

(Photo courtesy of Dr JM)

Riding a 350EXC as well

Beefiddler

Improving the air quality with his 300EXC

VTwins4me (recently exiled to Yorkshire)

(Photo courtesy of Berin)

On his Berg 570

Possu

(Photo courtesy of VTwins4me))

On his Berg 390

And your reporter

(Photo courtesy of Beefiddler)

On her CRF230F

(Photo courtesy of Berin)

I hope this intro has piqued your interest a bit - in the next episode I will start to reveal the stories behind the many intriguing photos...

Pumpy screwed with this post 05-09-2015 at 09:46 AM
Pumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,128
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
just jeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181

jj
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Etnared
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm hooked, ready and waiting for the next episode
Etnared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Herman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
In Do a bit of that myself on occasion but mostly in France.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
U.P. Rider
U P R

Oddometer: 111
I'm in, can't wait to see where this goes!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Thank you all very much for your nice comments - writing the next instalment now...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Drwnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Well Pumpy, I think you absolutely nailed it Great photos, were they all taken in Portugal?

I couldn't think of a better way to holiday other than to do it permanently, and I'm aiming to do exactly that

Drwnite screwed with this post 05-11-2015 at 01:52 PM
Drwnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

How the trip came about...

At every monthly meeting of the Oxford TRF we tell each other of our past ride-outs and whenever Possu and I raved about our adventures in Portugal, we could see the Wanderlust gleam in quite a few people's eyes. So just after Christmas, when we were planning our trail riding trip for 2015, we pondered with whom we would like to spend our main holiday this year and then invited the motley crew along that I have introduced earlier.

On the previous two trips we had been travelling from place to place, carrying all our luggage, looking for accommodation each night and unloading and repacking the bikes every day. While we saw a lot of the country this way, the additional weight made some of the trails more - and sometimes unnecessarily - challenging. This time we wanted un-adultered fun and decided to pick the town of Chaves in the Trás-os-Montes region of Northern Portugal as our base camp from which we would fan out into all directions during the course of a week.

The city is relatively easy to get to from the ferry port in Santander, has several bike shops (KTM, Honda, Yamaha & Husquarna), lots of hotels, restaurants and services, thermal springs and a rich history dating back to Roman and even Palaeolithic times. We had already stayed here in 2014 for a night and when riding past some of the impressive monuments the following morning, I thought that I would have liked to spend more time in this interesting place.

Some friends of ours had already put this concept to the test last October and it had worked well - apparently. Muddymatt kindly shared his track log with us and it looked like his loops should keep us busy for at least six days.

So in January the invitations went out and in early February we booked ferry and accommodation - five rooms in the Hotel Termas, a gem detected by Possu the previous year; run by an elderly couple with their team of very capable ladies, central, comfortable, clean, with secure bike parking, breakfast and great value for money. The fact that the hotel does not have its own internet presence made the booking procedure a bit more interesting (we needed more and different rooms than the ones available on booking.com) - but with the help of a Portuguese colleague I drafted my first letter and the succeeding correspondence with Senhora Celina was done by email and in Spanish - phew.

In the final weeks before departure we reminded each other of vital documents like the European Health Insurance Card (which expires every five years!) travel insurance and breakdown cover, tools, spares and First Aid kits to take, van-pools and cabin crews were formed, TopoLusitania was downloaded onto everyone's SatNav, mobile numbers and next-of-kin details were exchanged (in the hope not having to use them...), bikes and equipment were prepped and finally, on the last weekend of April, we were ready for take-off!

Although technically no longer a member of the Oxford TRF, we still had invited Yorkshire renegade VTwins4me to join us - after trashing his knee last year on the very first day of the trip, he couldn't wait to go back and - god willing - ride a few more trails this time.

Apologies for posting that picture of a man in agony again, Rob...

Rob duly arrived at ours and the boys loaded the van with our three bikes and the kitchen sink

We then went to meet up with the others in Didcot

... and continued our journey to the south coast

After last year's disaster crossing with LD Lines (who have since been bought by DFDS Seaways and stopped their UK to Spain service altogether), we had splashed out and were treating ourselves to Brittany Ferries again (thanks to Tim Cullis for his help with the booking!)

The Cap Finistčre is not quite as state-of-the-art as her sister ship Pont-Aven (sailing from Plymouth) but still...

... the passage promised to be pleasant and comfortable

Bye bye, Portsmouth...

We were briefly contemplating that, if this vessel sank, Oxford TRF would lose its chairman, the treasurer...

... all three group reps and the newsletter editor...

But only very briefly - mainly we were fiddling with maps, track logs and SatNavs...

... enjoying the start of our holiday...

... and having some peace and quiet...

... after a not so quiet and peaceful night (remind me to stack the snorers into their own secluded cabin the next time, close to the ship's engine room so they know what it is like... )

Anyway, at last Santander's Isla de Mouro came into view

The Cantabrian coast is always a most welcome sight after an almost 24-hour long sea voyage

We disembarked as quickly as possible, as we still had 500 km of motorway to drive, and only allowed ourselves a 20-minute break in a Spanish service station for some bocadillos, pasteles y café con leche.

Despite the occasional downpour of biblical proportions, we made good progress and arrived in Chaves around 10 o'clock at night, over an hour earlier than I had prewarned Senhora Celina. We even had time to gather in the 'Abade' Bar next door and discuss the plan for the following day.

Whose weather app would be right? Rob's free for all, predicting a cloudy but dry day, or Martin's paid for, which announced rain for the whole of Sunday?

Don't miss the next episode...
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwnite View Post
Great photos, were they all taken in Portugal?
Thanks very much, Drwnite - yes, the pictures in the first post were all taken in Portugal, some on the border strip with Spain but still pretty close.

Doing this permanently is certainly a very tempting idea...
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #11
Beefiddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Great stuff, I'm even excited and I know what happened, cos I was there!
Beefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #12
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Here is my excuse for the slow video editing. As for the lack of clutch or throttle control...I have none.

Notice the thumbs up to my husband at the bottom of the slope - would it convince you?

Janey's Off from Dr JM on Vimeo.

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Not sure why I can't get the video embed up, but the link in the post still works.

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oh Janey, that was spectacular!

Hope you're feeling better by now...
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,226
Bit disappointed that Jane swore after the crash, I thought she was too cultured to know such phrases.....

On the other hand, I'm impressed that she kept the throttle open until she came off the bike.