Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
tarex OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Advice on first trip ever

Hey fellow ADV-Riders,

my cousin and I are planning our first ever week-long trip with our 2 Gsxr´s (k3+k4). We are from Hamburg (Northern Germany) and are planning to ride down to Oberstdorf (Bodensee Area) for a week filled with riding

Here are my questions :) I´m looking forward to your answers

1.)We are both not familiar with the area and are therefore looking for advice concerning nice roads/touring routes.

2.)Also we are not quite sure how many miles we will be able to do daily without being close to exhaustion / not able to concentrate anymore - especially since we ride sports bikes.

3.)Any further advice on touring essentials / important stuff to take into account / What do we need to prepare before the ride would be HIGHLY appreciated!

Looking forward to your replies !!

Best,

tarex
tarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 513
2.)Also we are not quite sure how many miles we will be able to do daily without being close to exhaustion / not able to concentrate anymore - especially since we ride sports bikes.

No exact answer to this it varies from person to person. As an average speed I work on 50 miles (80km) in an hour. Most rides tend to start out with one or two long days of motorway then mileage reduces when you reach somewhere interesting. Anything over 400 miles is a long day, anything under 200 is a short days riding, but that depends on if you are doing motorways or twisty mountain roads. I don´t like giving myself deadlines when riding so always allow an extra day or two towards the end to avoid having a mad dash homewards. If you have to do miles get an early alcohol free night and be on the road early. If you want to have a few beers, then wake up later, spend a couple of hours downing coffees and accept you won´t get as far that day. Sports bikes can be highly capable tourers. I´ve been around a fair bit of Europe in the company of a friend on a standard (ish) ZXR750. A gelpad on the seat and a large tankpad to lean on were the only things he used to make life more comfortable.

3.)Any further advice on touring essentials / important stuff to take into account / What do we need to prepare before the ride would be HIGHLY appreciated!

Are you camping or staying in hotels? The answers will be totally different depending on your answer.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 2,047
FFS.

Look on a map for twisty and interesting ways to get where you aim on heading to.

Then go and ride.

If you start to tire,look for somewhere to stop.

Just go and do it.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
TeflonTrout
n00b

Bluhduh More than a little jealous...

...Because that sounds really, really fun. I miss my '99 GSXR-750, it would have been great to have here.

Anyway, you could cut along the Castle road for a bit as you passed on your way South. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Road

A little less of a detour may be the Northern end of the Romantic Road, around Rothenberg om der Tauber. Great countryside, mildly windy roads, and of course, plenty of beautiful places to stretch out the inevitible sore backs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_Road

I think you've chosen a great destination, the Black Forest area is on my list of places to go, along with what I suggested above. Safe travels!
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
tarex OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post

No exact answer to this it varies from person to person. As an average speed I work on 50 miles (80km) in an hour. Most rides tend to start out with one or two long days of motorway then mileage reduces when you reach somewhere interesting. Anything over 400 miles is a long day, anything under 200 is a short days riding, but that depends on if you are doing motorways or twisty mountain roads. I don´t like giving myself deadlines when riding so always allow an extra day or two towards the end to avoid having a mad dash homewards. If you have to do miles get an early alcohol free night and be on the road early. If you want to have a few beers, then wake up later, spend a couple of hours downing coffees and accept you won´t get as far that day. Sports bikes can be highly capable tourers. I´ve been around a fair bit of Europe in the company of a friend on a standard (ish) ZXR750. A gelpad on the seat and a large tankpad to lean on were the only things he used to make life more comfortable.

Are you camping or staying in hotels? The answers will be totally different depending on your answer.
Thank you for your great post!

We will be staying at hotels :)
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 AM   #6
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 513
If you´re staying in hotels you can pack very light. The classic rule of thumb is take half the stuff you think you need and twice the amount of money. Make sure bikes are serviced (fresh pads, tyres, fresh lube, good pads), carry some basic tools and spares (fuses, headlight bulbs stashed on bike, can of chain lube) maybe think about breakdown cover and you´re good to go. Most problems on modern bikes will be bodywork related, duct tape and cable ties are always worth packing. I wear textile gear so don´t have to carry separate waterproofs, if you are in leathers find a waterproof oversuit that packs down small. Bin bags make excellent waterproof liners for boots. Buy some proper cargo straps rather than bungees (bungees rarely fail but when they do it´s nasty). Earplugs reduce fatigue when doing distance, I wouldn´t contemplate going on a long ride without them.
A face mask or something that covers the gap between the bottom of the helmet chin bar and your face will also reduce wind noise. A strip of insulating type across the top of the visor makes an effective cheapo sunshield.

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

A good recent thread for your question about mileage (but mainly American where distances are obviously vastly bigger and motorways bigger.)...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700569

Johann screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 04:05 AM
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Make sure bikes are serviced (fresh pads, tyres, fresh lube, good pads)...
Amen.

There's nothing like pulling up to a Passhöhe and hearing the clink of a brake pad backing hitting the rotor.

Or looking at your chain in the morning and seeing it almost drag on the ground with spiky sprocket teeth.

Or so I hear.

At best, it will cost more that it would at home and take a day or two out of your trip.

Lots cheaper to do it up front. Johann's comments are golden.

By the way - the above moments will almost always occur on a weekend or holiday when the bike shops are closed.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 184
Plus 1 for the above.
John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Reidman
Reidman of the Alps

Oddometer: 34
I live near Oberstdorf and can give you some tips about the local area if you want.

Like, don't pass cars going up Oberjoch because the cops watch from the overlook above and will bust you if you arrive at the top ahead of the cars you were behind at the bottom. Pass all you want once you reach the top and turn towards Tannheimer Tal. Which, you'll definitely want to do.

Go down Tannheimer Tal on highway 198 and in Stanzach turn left and take the L21 over to Namlos and Bichlbach and back. Once back in Stanzach, continue down the valley a little further and take a left on the road that goes over Hahntennjoch to Imst. These two roads are awesome.

Avoid the Fernpass, it's a slow parade of caravans.

Stay away from Füssen and the roads around it. (And for God's sake man, don't waste your time visiting Neuschwanstein Castle when you could be out riding.)

I could go on.

Do I understand you'll be riding around this area for a week? Or just here for a night and then back north again?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:42 AM   #10
tarex OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
I live near Oberstdorf and can give you some tips about the local area if you want.

Like, don't pass cars going up Oberjoch because the cops watch from the overlook above and will bust you if you arrive at the top ahead of the cars you were behind at the bottom. Pass all you want once you reach the top and turn towards Tannheimer Tal. Which, you'll definitely want to do.

Go down Tannheimer Tal on highway 198 and in Stanzach turn left and take the L21 over to Namlos and Bichlbach and back. Once back in Stanzach, continue down the valley a little further and take a left on the road that goes over Hahntennjoch to Imst. These two roads are awesome.

Avoid the Fernpass, it's a slow parade of caravans.

Stay away from Füssen and the roads around it. (And for God's sake man, don't waste your time visiting Neuschwanstein Castle when you could be out riding.)

I could go on.

Do I understand you'll be riding around this area for a week? Or just here for a night and then back north again?
Hey Reidman,

thanks for the advice! We´ll def. look out for the cops ;)

We will be staying at Oberstdorf for a week - def. wanted to visit Bodensee on one of our touringdays. For the other days we are not quite sure yet mostly bc we dont know the area AT ALL.

IF you have any more advice on what to look out for / what routes to take etc please dont hesitate!

Best,

tarex
Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Reidman
Reidman of the Alps

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarex View Post
Hey Reidman,

thanks for the advice! We´ll def. look out for the cops ;)

We will be staying at Oberstdorf for a week - def. wanted to visit Bodensee on one of our touringdays. For the other days we are not quite sure yet mostly bc we dont know the area AT ALL.

IF you have any more advice on what to look out for / what routes to take etc please dont hesitate!

Best,

tarex
Hey Tarex - PM me with your email address and I'll send you some Google map routes. Or do you use a Garmin? If so I'll make you some MapSource files.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #12
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
You may find a few ideas on here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...w.kK2oDNPXQ1BQ

When you hit mountain roads proper and factor in stops etc your average speed is more likely to be 30mph (around 50kph)
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #13
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post
When you hit mountain roads proper and factor in stops etc your average speed is more likely to be 30mph (around 50kph)
My GPS log from 2013. This is pretty consistent with years past.

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #14
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 184
As has ben said before. I tour on a sport's tourer. You can get 500 mile day's in. Try one on your first day. Kind of break the back of getting where you need to be. But I can do long day's in the saddle. 200 mile day's are dead easy. A good idea is, to start early. Ride to a set time at the end of the day. Then make your mind up if you can go further. I use the one hour strategy. When the time run's out. Think can you ride for another hour. That could be the weather and day light. Then do the same again.

Work's for me. Wish you well.
John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 445
+1 on servicing the bike and starting on good rubber and break pads. Then there's little need to bring spares, except for some chain lube: Bike shops are never far away, and if you're an ADAC member it's even less of a hazzle.
If you run out of lube (for the chain that is), any garage will probably help you out for free.

The GPS log below seems reasonable to me: calculate 50-60km/h on secondary roads which gives about 400km for a long day of riding - even less in the Alps.

A rain suit is not only good for rain, but also helps coping with low temperatures up high. You'll experience strong temperature changes.
Bring earplugs, a small flashlight, a water bottle, a camera, a credit card, cash. Maybe some wet swipes for the visor.

For a week of pure riding and living in hotels, many folks manage with a tankbag of luggage ...