Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #136
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,091
That's all? Funny cuz I always found Spain a trifle bureaucratic in these things...

My Case, I am Canadian born Canadian- Swiss dual citizen who now lives in Barcelona. On a whim I bought my dream bike, an Africa Twin as a gift to myself on my 30th. Sound decision. I didn't think too much about the details as the bike was bought here and originally registered here, but;
it turns out my Canadian motorcycle rating is not accepted for INSURING a bike in Spain, riding yes INSURING no. The Canadian CAR licence can be convalidated, or transfered over to a Spanish equivalent with a minimum of hassle.
The Canuck bike rating though, is not good enough for Spain, you have to redo the licence process which means riding a maximum of some 25 horsepower for 2 years. As much as it pissed me off at the time I can almost understand it now; I got my Canadian bike rating in about 20 minutes at the Motor Vehicle Branch parking lot in Vancouver, on a 90 cubic inch Harley that wasn't mine.
My only solution: I went to Switzerland where thank God my mother has retired, registered myself as a resident which I am entitled to do as I have the passport, filled out the forms, stood the line, smoothed the clerks, got the stamps, made the photocopies, signed the dotted lines and was taken back into the fold with Swiss efficiency, made a legal resident of my ancestral homeland.
From there I went to the traffic authority, aka the Strassenverkhersamt (that's really what it's called) and was subjected to more formalities to be able to surrender my Canadian licence to them. The Swiss, unlike the Spanish, honour and accept our Canadian bike ratings as worthy of their roads. Turn in your valid Canuck licence and get a Swiss equivalent in a matter of a few weeks, service only valid for registered residents with stamped, signed and photocopied in triplicate residency papers.
The chipper, professional young clerk (I didn't know such a thing existed) eyed my peeling, dog-eared and generally battle weary old licence with polite disdain.
This all took two days.

A few weeks went by and finally an official looking letter arrived to my mother's house. Unfortunately it was not from the Strassenverhersamt but rather from the Swiss Police's forgery investigation bureau. It turns out my battered old licence has been sent in as suspicious and inspected, scanned, magnified, put under special lights and subjected to all manner of indignity. The final verdict was "traces of possible manipulation or forgery to document, application denied". One third or half of the last number of my birthdate was faded or chafed, only by looking at the bottom half could you see that it in fact was a 5. I called the office and was able to talk to the corresponding officer, explained that this was just the result of 4 years, countless kilometers, untold cycles through the washer and a few accidental falls in the water. I had numerous other pieces of identification I was willing to present myself with, including a valid Swiss passport, a valid Canadian passport, Canadian birth certificate, social insurance card, a German driver's licence (also car only rated) and pictures of myself as a newborn in the babyseat in a shiny new 1975 Volvo station wagon. All featured the same bithdate. If any of these showed any trace of forgery I would surrender myself immediately and without protest for incarceration. I got not even a laugh. Swiss bureaucracy is efficient, it is thorough and swift, to the maximum extent that such bodies can be, it is not however, flexible, not at all. I was told that my suspicious, unholy document would be returned to the Strassenverkersamt, please could I come remove it at once.
As I was already back in Spain at the time I asked my mother to please do me the favour and pick it up. When my chipper, friendly 68 year old mother went to the SVA the next day she was attended by a friendly, professional clerk only a few years years her junior.
"They say my son is a forger" said my mom "but he's not, he's just a bit careless, no matter how many times I told him to check his pockets before washing his pants he always forgets something in them, he was like this at 12, now he is 30, I fear he will not change, but he is not a forger, he is a good boy, this licence is just very, very clean"
"clearly" answered the clerk, and 2 weeks later I received my shiny new motorcycle-rated, Spanish valid, certified Swiss driver's licence.
That was 3 years ago, and I have been riding every day since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
I did recently register my bike from Sweden to Spain. The procedure is the following for importing a vehicle from an EU country to Spain.
  • According to the latest legislation, if one imports a vehicle from another EU country within 60 days from the date the owner of the vehicle unregisters him/herself from the home country's tax system, there is no need to pay any import tax. This is good news but I can assure you you will need these 60 days since the process takes time
  • Everything starts at ITV, the office of inspection of vehicles. ITV wants a document called Certificate of Conformity, this document lists all technical documents of the bike and is prepared by the producer. I got this document from the Swedish Importer of KTM. The document (it has to be absolutely the original) has to be presented to ITV along with the original registration papers of the inital country.
  • If you don't have or can't get the COC document (apparently it is the importing company's responsibility to archive and provide it to the bike's owner), then you have to contact the Colegio de Ingenieros (Institute of Engineers), book a time and they will send an engineer who takes all measurements of the bike and prepares a document called ficha de technica, this would cost you around 250 euros, so you better find the COC document.
  • Then you pay an inspection fee, in my case (KTM 990 Adv) it was around 100 euros and book a time for the initial inspection. ITV can give a date in 3-4 weeks.
  • That day, you bring the bike, they confirm the chassis number with COC or ficha de technica and ask you to pay another 10-15 euros and join the inspection queue again (don't ask me why they do so, ITV has its routines ) In the second inspection, they do a full inspection, including emission measurements, brakes, lights etc.
  • We assume that the bike passes inspection then you pick up your ficha de technica and permit for circulation form ITV.
  • Then you go to the tax office. You need to present a form which proves that you have unregistered yourself from the home country's tax system and it has to be approved (in Spanish) by that country's consulate if possible. In my case, the Swedish tax office sent a document to the Swedish consulate in Spain and they wrote a letter in Spanish explaining that I am not registered there anymore. If you don't want to unregister from the home country then 7% of the vehicle value (there is a table about how to calculate the value, first year 100% of the new price, second year 80% etc) if the engine is less than 1600cc (most bikes are ) has to be paid as tax
  • Assuming that you presented your papers then you are exempt from paying this tax but at the same time you have to register yourself to the Spanish tax system, well couple of documents need to be filled there
  • then you go to the municapility and pay the road tax
  • finally you go the traffic office called traffico and pay the license plate tax and apply for license plate and your registration papers.
  • couple of days or a week later, traffico issues the registration papers and then you go to a small shop nearby which makes the licence plate, pay the fee and get your licence plate.
  • Finally you contact a Spanish insurance company, insure the bike
  • Your bike is Spanish now
  • You need to unregister the bike from the initial country, every country has different rules in that. For Sweden, we send the original registration (in my case, it was archived but Swedish traffico accepts the ITV stamped version), a written request to unregister, the original license plate or my confirmation that I will destroy it. Swedish traffic office then informs the Swedish insurance company.
ITV archives the original registration papers but gives you a stamped copy of the originals. Ask them to make multiple stamped copies, they will be needed, because tax authorities, municapility etc ask for a document that proves you owning the bike and in my case Swedish registration papers show that piece of information.

You need the NIE (spanish identification number) number to be able to do all this, if you don't have it, then you should start with that process, which includes registry in the town hall, then at the immigration police then back to the town hall.

As you can see those 60 days are really needed, the process is pain in the ass. I managed to do that with a very limited Spanish and had to use my unresistable charm to female spanish government officials . They are quite helpful indeed. Patience and smiling open all doors.
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #137
romeo one
retired

Oddometer: 27
And thats why I have taken both my bikes back to GB and put them up for sale,not worth the hassle,
Here in Mallorca there not very helpful so 60 days is`nt enough time.
romeo one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #138
BeachBum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Do it right the first time and you won´t feel like a douche kiddo.
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #139
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo one
And thats why I have taken both my bikes back to GB and put them up for sale,not worth the hassle,
Here in Mallorca there not very helpful so 60 days is`nt enough time.
Romeo one, are you in Mallorca nowadays? We should ride together sometime.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #140
2wheelfrenzy
Traveler

Oddometer: 29
buying motorcycle in Spain

I'm moving to Gerona, Spain for work in January. I'll have my license sorted before I head over (thanks for the detailed help!). What's the process for buying in Spain? Are prices higher than in the U.S? Would importing a bike be worth doing?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #141
nowthe9
noob?

Oddometer: 10
hi there all! another one from Mallorca with a KaToM 990! fancy a ride??
nowthe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #142
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowthe9
hi there all! another one from Mallorca with a KaToM 990! fancy a ride??
Of course. Let's decide on a day to ride. I will send a PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #143
goliatsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
another "mas".

Protégete cualquiera que sea tu afición.
WWW.GOLIWEB.ES
goliatsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #144
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
WOW, Baleares is overcrowded, many advriders around there

Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #145
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliatsp
another "mas".

hey, how the heck could you have been on gs trophy? you did not even show up on qualifications test at Basella¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ How Did you finally make it to be a member on Spanish expedition?????

Nice pics indeed, not many sand by the way, you better want to came with us to Morocco, we´re leaving this friday, By 525 my case.........not many things better to fly over the sand.

Let´s meet those advriders around Madrid to ride with the. ok?

best regards.

i know you went back to ADV didn´t you....
Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #146
robszombie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Guys, I've a '91 DR800 in good condition, however it doesn't seem to be putting out huge amounts of torque in comparison to my enduro or SM. I had a DR600 yrs back & as far as I can recall the power's about the same!
It's reluctant to accellerate from a steady speed under load, does the carb still need adjusting?
Any ideas greatly appreciated, also, what Ah batteries work best? I'm using a 14Ah new battery at present but it's struggling on cold mornings.

Thanks in advance, Robs.
robszombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #147
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Hello everybody!

Another one from Barcelona

XTZ660 to play around and a CB500 to ride the world
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #148
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

I am trying to get to know some enduro riders in Mallorca. Does anybody know any Spain or Mallorca based online forums of enduro-offroad riders?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #149
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
I am trying to get to know some enduro riders in Mallorca. Does anybody know any Spain or Mallorca based online forums of enduro-offroad riders?
www.embarrados.com
www.endureros.com

Old 11-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #150
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Muchas gracias.