Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #31
loud640
I like beer!!

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by puncar thogoole
just put an old BMW onto Spanish plates & in the past have changed a few cars , what do you need to know ?
Just for starters , its worth talking to a few different "Gestors", heard of some silly money being charged
Thanks Carl, I was gonna try and do it myself (without a Gestor). I'm not too clear what the process is for bikes. I seem to recall that bikes over 600cc are treated differently.

I believe that I need to get a special ITV done 1st, then an engineers report, and then go see Trafico to get the bike registered. I have also heard that I need to get a form from the British Consultate to "prove" that I brought the bike over as part of my permanent move. This would apparently reduce my tax payable upon registration.

The problem that I have is that everything I have found out about the process seems to be rather vague & wooly. Maybe I should just pay a Gestor.
loud640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #32
loud640
I like beer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTreme
I got my cover HERE!
I'm on the case, thanks for the link
Old 10-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #33
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Oddometer: 627
My Strom is a Spanish bike, but my XT350 still has Brit plates. I just insure it through e-bikes where I get 365 days Euro cover.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #34
puncar thogoole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud640
Thanks Carl, I was gonna try and do it myself (without a Gestor). I'm not too clear what the process is for bikes. I seem to recall that bikes over 600cc are treated differently.

I believe that I need to get a special ITV done 1st, then an engineers report, and then go see Trafico to get the bike registered. I have also heard that I need to get a form from the British Consultate to "prove" that I brought the bike over as part of my permanent move. This would apparently reduce my tax payable upon registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud640

The problem that I have is that everything I have found out about the process seems to be rather vague & wooly. Maybe I should just pay a Gestor.
Loud640 , I've only changed plates by using a gestor , I've heard of people trying to do it all themselves , it usually ends in tears !.(also heard of people being told that an inspector will have to come from Madrid because its a "special" vehicle thats not common in Spain,& you will have to pay there travel expenses , something stupid like 1500 euros , I'm not kiddin). Things that appear easy at first like going to trafico end up being half a day wasted because first you stood in the wrong queue , then when you were in the correct queue after waiting an hour you are told you need (pick one!)photocopy/photocopy signed by a notory/oridginal document/something you haven't even hered of !. The gestor (if they are any good) seems to have a way of being first in the queue with the correct paperwork , my Gestor even has a "Perrito"(inspector) in the same company , they just tell me a time & place to meet , he looks at the vehicle , verifies that it is what its claimed to be & tells me if anything has to be changed for the ITV. The ITV doesn't seem to be that much different from a normal one , just a bit more attention to chassis numbers & vehicle wieght etc , oh , & its more expensive(what a supprise!!). I'm not saying don't do it yourself (I'd be very interested to hear how you get on if you do), but I think maybe sometimes you have got to accept that people make a living out of changing paperwork , it has to be hard to do it yourself or they would be out of work !!!. I think its vauge & wooly on purpose , It is expensive compared to UK (think it was free , or near when I last lived in UK), but I don't think there is a way round it. Hope this helps & not hinders !. (never hered of the British consulate form thing).
Take care, Carl.
puncar thogoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #35
Quimi
Tremendous n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hey!! From Barcelona sorroundings here!!
Wee-Strom power!!

Quimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #36
loud640
I like beer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTreme
I got my cover HERE!
Thanks for the link, I am now insured with these guys. It was quite expensive, but not cheaper than a new bike. And not as bad as I had heard.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #37
Gatso'shy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh Me too ....

Me too .....

Mid way, tween Granada & Malaga

1000m up @ the source of the Guadalhorce

Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #38
village
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking living in alicante

ok guys , brit in spain love it, i ride wait for it !! ducati monster900 but love the idea of off roading for a first bike what would you suggest for all the dirty stuff, i also have a honda cruiser to sell ( bought on the spur of the moment ) but like the idea of off roading any ideas
dave
village is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #39
tohubohu
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Here´s another 640 rider for a year now
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #40
PaulXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by puncar thogoole
Loud640 , I've only changed plates by using a gestor , I've heard of people trying to do it all themselves , it usually ends in tears !.
Hola Todos!

I’m based in Sant Cugat near Barcelona most of the time and the rest of the time in the Charente in Western France.

I’ve got 2 bikes here at the moment.

I’ve just got a French registered XChallenge new from the dealer in LaRochelle – on French plates and French Insurance via BMW in France.

I’ve also still got my UK plated F650 Dakar here on UK plates and UK insurance.

Basically you are only meant to keep a non Spanish plated vehicle here for no more that 6 month is any 12 month period. Quite how they can keep track on this I’m not sure – I figure the 6 months starts from the first time you get stopped by the Police…..

Found this when I was looking the other day to import my Dakar
http://www.livespainforlife.co.uk/default.aspx?id=56 seemed to be a good guide.

I'm also in for a meet up, if I can also get time away from my child-care duties….

Paul
PaulXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #41
puncar thogoole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Hi Paul

Regarding the 6 month thing, I think you might find if you were to be accused of rideing about for longer than 6 months it would'nt be a case of "them keeping track", it would be more like "prove that you haven't!" Could be a bit tricky, I think it makes a lot of difference whether you appear to be "holidaying" or working.
This is just my experience, not law, & others will have experienced different!
puncar thogoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #42
Dakota XT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Brits living in Spain for 4 years 50km inland from Malaga. Hubby rides a XT600, I ride an XT600 and a Yamaha Tricker 250.
Dakota XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #43
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
Hola Guapos!

Im Welsh
bob
anyone seen bob's streetcred

loz
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #44
Angel-V
Pisahuevos

Oddometer: 84
Other from Zaragoza, with a Vstrom 650

I spent part of my money in girls, beer and bikes......and the rest...the rest I misspend it
Angel-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #45
gonzalo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello!
One more from Barcelona.
I have an Africa Twin and an XR400.
Good pics in this forum. See you.!
My english "no da pa más".
gonzalo is offline   Reply With Quote