ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #91
nufenen
Adventurer
 
nufenen's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 39
Hi Amado!

I think that these two sites are the best. You can also rent BMW's in Hertz but is more expensive and there are not many offices arround Spain.

http://www.bmwmotorental.com/es/index.asp

http://www.motoespana.com/es/

nufenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #92
viatormundi
Citizen of the world
 
viatormundi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Mallorca-Spain
Oddometer: 644
Schuberth helmets in Barcelona

Friends,
anybody know which shop/dealer sells Schuberth helmets in Barcelona? A friend of mine would like to buy a J1 helmet.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #93
Fitero
Just One of Billions
 
Fitero's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Portland. Oregon
Oddometer: 228
Hey Sloppy; to get a modified vehicle accepted by the Spanish ITV and Trafico, you have to go to Trafico, and find a Ingeniero especialicado en Homologaciones, to do an engineering study of the modifications, which you then present to Trafico, and the ITV when you get the vehicle inspected. It can be done, but it is a pain in the ass, and sometimes expensive. What most do, is make the bike legal for the ITV inspection, then revert back to modified status once approved. You run the risk of getting the bike impounded by the Guardia Civil if stopped. I found that persistence was the key here. A good Gestoria can take care of this for you too.

Hey Amado, you are going to my favorite part of Spain! Start off by visiting Santillana del Mar. Keep in mind, it is over-run with tourists and their garbage, but it is a must see. Then, take a route through Potes, all the way to Fuente De' and take the cable car up to the top. Once done, back-track, through Potes, and circle around the Picos de Europa park, and go to Cabrales, Onis, then Cangas de Onis. You need to take a bike up the mountains to the lakes of Covadonga. If you start off in Santander, you can take a nice walk along the water-front... There's a nice bar, can't remember the name that is the oldest in Spain. Any of the coastal towns will have great seafood. Suances is nearby, and although the town itself is not very attractive, the tourists are more scarce, and the seafood in the restaurants down at the waterfront is good. Comillas is another option, and has a nice house designed by Gaudi. If you want to travel south a little on N-623, you should see a hidden gem named Orbaneja del Castillo.
Too many little towns...not enough time!!! Enjoy.
__________________
Soy un AGONIAS!!!
Fitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #94
ata
expat in the jungle
 
ata's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bilbao, close to the fu****ng Guggenheim
Oddometer: 2,272
Nice place.... Orbaneja del castillo....... ummmmmmmmmm look at this




ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #95
BeachBum
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Laguna Beach, Ca / Baja Mex / Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 36
Question for the Spaniards or transplants here in Spain.

I got pick pocketted 2 weeks ago, lost everything but my Passport as I dont carry it with me.

Im an American living in Madrid, there is no way for me to get a copy of my DL without going back to California. Is there anyway I can get a Spanish CarNet without a DNI? I drive my g/fs car and my scooter and have since parked both. Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #96
rickjames
RIP rickjames.
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nufenen
Hi Amado!

I think that these two sites are the best. You can also rent BMW's in Hertz but is more expensive and there are not many offices arround Spain.

http://www.bmwmotorental.com/es/index.asp

http://www.motoespana.com/es/

Thanks Nufenen,

Looks perfect as my mother is from Galicia and I'll be spending time there also and the first link has a location there. I usualy ride a KTM 640 Adventure but Ive always wanted to give the BMW F650 a try as long as it doesn't change me to a BMW rider .

Thanks Again
Anibal Amado
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #97
rickjames
RIP rickjames.
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero
Hey Sloppy; to get a modified vehicle accepted by the Spanish ITV and Trafico, you have to go to Trafico, and find a Ingeniero especialicado en Homologaciones, to do an engineering study of the modifications, which you then present to Trafico, and the ITV when you get the vehicle inspected. It can be done, but it is a pain in the ass, and sometimes expensive. What most do, is make the bike legal for the ITV inspection, then revert back to modified status once approved. You run the risk of getting the bike impounded by the Guardia Civil if stopped. I found that persistence was the key here. A good Gestoria can take care of this for you too.

Hey Amado, you are going to my favorite part of Spain! Start off by visiting Santillana del Mar. Keep in mind, it is over-run with tourists and their garbage, but it is a must see. Then, take a route through Potes, all the way to Fuente De' and take the cable car up to the top. Once done, back-track, through Potes, and circle around the Picos de Europa park, and go to Cabrales, Onis, then Cangas de Onis. You need to take a bike up the mountains to the lakes of Covadonga. If you start off in Santander, you can take a nice walk along the water-front... There's a nice bar, can't remember the name that is the oldest in Spain. Any of the coastal towns will have great seafood. Suances is nearby, and although the town itself is not very attractive, the tourists are more scarce, and the seafood in the restaurants down at the waterfront is good. Comillas is another option, and has a nice house designed by Gaudi. If you want to travel south a little on N-623, you should see a hidden gem named Orbaneja del Castillo.
Too many little towns...not enough time!!! Enjoy.
Thanks Fitero,

Last time I was in Asturias I was there for three months so got a chance to see some of the places you've listed like Covadonga, Santander, Picos de Europa and even have family that live in Pajares but there are also a lot I haven't and I've never travelled any of Spain on Motorbike. Comillas sounds great as I've only ever seen Gaudis work on TV and you have now got me wanting to see other places I never new existed like Orbaneja del Castillo.
I'll need to find out from the Spanish consulate about licences I require to ride in Spain.
I'll be sure to post some pics on Advrider while I'm there.

Cheers
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #98
nufenen
Adventurer
 
nufenen's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by amado
Thanks Nufenen,

Looks perfect as my mother is from Galicia and I'll be spending time there also and the first link has a location there. I usualy ride a KTM 640 Adventure but Ive always wanted to give the BMW F650 a try as long as it doesn't change me to a BMW rider .

Thanks Again
Anibal Amado
It's a pleasure!

I love your bike! I don't know why KTM has stop the production... I hope to see soon a KTM 690 Adventure. Maybe we can do a change... I give you my BMW F650 a you give me your KTM!

Enjoy your days in Spain
nufenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #99
Sloppy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sloppy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero
Hey Sloppy; to get a modified vehicle accepted by the Spanish ITV and Trafico,
Thanks a bunch for this info. I decided to pass on the bike for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amado


I'll need to find out from the Spanish consulate about licences I require to ride in Spain.
I'll be sure to post some pics on Advrider while I'm there.

Cheers
Please post whatever you find out here. I probably should know this too. I was just planning on using my American motorcycle license and playing the stupid American if I got stopped, but if I am going to be here long term I probably shouldn't do that

On the other hand, I really don't want to have to jump through any expensive hoops or tiered licensing crap to drive a decent bike. I've spent enough time on sub-250cc bikes, thanks!
Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #100
BeachBum
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Laguna Beach, Ca / Baja Mex / Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Thanks a bunch for this info. I decided to pass on the bike for now.


Please post whatever you find out here. I probably should know this too. I was just planning on using my American motorcycle license and playing the stupid American if I got stopped, but if I am going to be here long term I probably shouldn't do that

On the other hand, I really don't want to have to jump through any expensive hoops or tiered licensing crap to drive a decent bike. I've spent enough time on sub-250cc bikes, thanks!
Your American license is good for 6 months from the time you arrive. Best bet would be to head over to AAA and get an International license. My problem is I got my wallet stolen so now I have nothing and dont know of a way to get a duplicate from Ca.

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

When You Really Need To Speak Their Language...
Let the IDP Speak for You!
When traveling overseas, carry an International Driving Permit ... even if you're not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly.
Valid in over 150 countries, the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.
Before you travel the world, travel to any AAA office for your International Driving Permit. Bring your valid U.S. driver's license, $15USD* , and two ORIGINAL passport-type photos** (also available at AAA offices). You may also wish to fill out our International Driving Permit application in advance. Simply print out the application, fill in the information requested and bring it with you to the AAA office nearest you. If you prefer to secure your International Driving Permit through the mail, enclose your completed application form, two ORIGINAL passport-type photos each signed on the back, a $15USD permit fee and a photocopy of both sides of your driver's license and mail them to the AAA office nearest you. Include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service, if desired. See USPS.com or DHL.com for rates.
NOTE: If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address:
AAA/IDP
1000 AAA Dr.
Heathrow, FL
32746
Attn: Mailstop #28


*Funds must be in U.S. dollars. Acceptable forms of payment are U.S. bank check or money order payable to AAA and these major credit cards with expiration date- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card.

**Digital photographs are acceptable, however, they must be of a certain quality. Please read http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...otography.html for guidelines




Here ya go kiddo, have a safe trip,

Paul
Madrid, Espaa
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 AM   #101
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO
 
alfaris's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 1,154
Talking Greetings from Madrid, Spain

Hi there,

I am from Madrid, ive lived on the USA for three years, California, Colorado and Wahshington DC.

I have been surfing around this forum for several years and now i realize there is a sign up post for spanish riders..........I ve been so focused on the bikes section.........

Well, now ive got a 2006 HP2, with two sets of wheels. I really enjoy this bike in all kind of terrains. Also a CRF450R for these days you need to fly around, and a trials bike scorpa 250sy that i used some sundays.

Before ive had: G650X Challenge, GS1200ADV, KTM525xc, KTM950S, Montesa 315R, Gas Gas 270TXT, Gas Gas 250 TXT, Honda XR650R, Honda CBR929RR, Honda CR500R, Honda XR600R, Honda Shadow VT1100, Honda VFR750R, Honda XRV750 Africa Twin, Yamaha XT350, Morini Camel 500, Sanglas Yamaha 400, Maico MC 250 and my first one was Montesa Cota 348 Trail.(1978)

Lets move then this section too.

__________________
09 KTM 530 EXC
07 XR650R
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #102
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
Hola amigos,

I'm heading back to Spain this year (daughter is studying in Salamanca) and would like some info on camping.

I plan on doing Madrid, Salamanca, northwest Spain and then down to Portugal.

Any recommendations on good camping sites (non-tourist type, rustic is fine) would be greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias,

Gianni
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #103
carlitosville
n00b
 
carlitosville's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 4
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuevototem
Hola a todos,

Estoy en BARCELONA GAVA alquien interesado en recorrer el GARRAF?

les muestro una foto

Attachment 160918

Saludos
Hi chicos!

My name is Carlos (carlitosville) and I have a Varadero 1000 with Touratech luggage. I'm living in Vilanova i la Geltru, and I don't never speak english...

Nuevototem... que, viniendo de la Plana Novella??

Bye,

Carlitosville
__________________
Partire per Viaggiare, non per Arrivare
carlitosville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #104
nufenen
Adventurer
 
nufenen's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosville
Hi chicos!

My name is Carlos (carlitosville) and I have a Varadero 1000 with Touratech luggage. I'm living in Vilanova i la Geltru, and I don't never speak english...

Nuevototem... que, viniendo de la Plana Novella??

Bye,

Carlitosville
Ey! Carlitos!

I'm from Cubelles we ride together. I have lost the Dominic number, a canadian man who is living in BCN with an Africa Twin.

Well, if anyone want to ride with us, we are on www.motostrail.com

See you!
nufenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #105
nufenen
Adventurer
 
nufenen's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 39
Hi Alfaris! What curriculum! You can make us a summary... which is the best that you have ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Hi there,

I am from Madrid, ive lived on the USA for three years, California, Colorado and Wahshington DC.

I have been surfing around this forum for several years and now i realize there is a sign up post for spanish riders..........I ve been so focused on the bikes section.........

Well, now ive got a 2006 HP2, with two sets of wheels. I really enjoy this bike in all kind of terrains. Also a CRF450R for these days you need to fly around, and a trials bike scorpa 250sy that i used some sundays.

Before ive had: G650X Challenge, GS1200ADV, KTM525xc, KTM950S, Montesa 315R, Gas Gas 270TXT, Gas Gas 250 TXT, Honda XR650R, Honda CBR929RR, Honda CR500R, Honda XR600R, Honda Shadow VT1100, Honda VFR750R, Honda XRV750 Africa Twin, Yamaha XT350, Morini Camel 500, Sanglas Yamaha 400, Maico MC 250 and my first one was Montesa Cota 348 Trail.(1978)

Lets move then this section too.

nufenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014