Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #121
BeachBum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I live with my Spanish g/f and that is exactly what she has. Here they are good for 10 years also and they just started the points system here like we have in the states. Her father has already lost his Carnet twice.

Carnet is just what they call thier drivers licence. If you already have a valid US drivers licence just to to the AAA site and spend the $15.00 to get the International. AAA is one of your best sources for info on this subject.

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

When You Really Need To Speak Their Language...
Let the IDP Speak for You!
When traveling overseas, carry an International Driving Permit ... even if you're not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly.
Valid in over 150 countries, the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.
Before you travel the world, travel to any AAA office for your International Driving Permit. Bring your valid U.S. driver's license, $15USD* , and two ORIGINAL passport-type photos** (also available at AAA offices). You may also wish to fill out our International Driving Permit application in advance. Simply print out the application, fill in the information requested and bring it with you to the AAA office nearest you. If you prefer to secure your International Driving Permit through the mail, enclose your completed application form, two ORIGINAL passport-type photos each signed on the back, a $15USD permit fee and a photocopy of both sides of your driver's license and mail them to the AAA office nearest you. Include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service, if desired. See USPS.com or DHL.com for rates.
NOTE: If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address:
AAA/IDP
1000 AAA Dr.
Heathrow, FL
Attn: Mailstop #28

*Funds must be in U.S. dollars. Acceptable forms of payment are U.S. bank check or money order payable to AAA and these major credit cards with expiration date- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card.

**Digital photographs are acceptable, however, they must be of a certain quality. Please read http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...otography.html for guidelines

BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #122
BeachBum
Adventurer

Here´s a little more info for you.

IDP FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How will I benefit by carrying an International Driving Permit on my next overseas trip?
The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document that provides important information from your driver’s license in eleven different languages, including English. This document came into existence by virtue of a treaty signed in 1949 by the United States and other foreign countries. As an official document, the IDP is recognized in over 150 countries today. Carried in conjunction with a regular drivers license, the IDP can help break down language barriers when traveling in non-English speaking countries. In addition, the IDP provides an additional source of identification. The $15 charge for an IDP is a small price to pay for such peace of mind.
Am I required to have an IDP in foreign countries?
There are some countries that do not recognize a drivers license from the United States, but officially recognize an IDP (e.g. Hungary). There are other countries that honor a United States drivers license, but require a local language translation (e.g. Spain). The IDP can satisfy these types of situations. Keep in mind, however, that while a certain country’s government may not require an IDP, car rental companies located in that country, such as Hertz, may require an IDP to rent a car. Purchasing an IDP prior to departure can save a lot of potential hassles.
What happens if I am stopped and given a citation against my IDP?
The IDP does not hold any powers of its own apart from your drivers license, and therefore, you do not have a separate driving record with an IDP. The IDP is valid only when carried in conjunction with and acts as a translation of a drivers license. If you are traveling in a foreign country and were to be stopped by a law enforcement officer, your U.S. drivers license and IDP should be presented to the officer. If a citation is issued to you, it will be reflected on the driving record that is with your drivers license.
Since Hong Kong was transferred from Great Britain to China, do I still need an IDP to drive there?
The United Nations recently provided official notification to the U.S. State Department indicating that the treaty which applies to Hong Kong at present will continue to apply to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the name given to the territory by China. Such notification should not be misconstrued to mean that China now recognizes IDPs, as the People’s Republic of China has never become a party to the treaty.
If someone visits the United States from a foreign country and discovers that they need an IDP, can they purchase one from AAA?
An IDP must be issued in the same country as the drivers license of the traveler. Therefore, if someone from the United Kingdom has a U.K. drivers license, their IDP must also be issued in the United Kingdom.
I have a U.S. drivers license, but I am a citizen of another country. Where should I obtain an IDP?
The IDP must be issued in the same country as the drivers license. In the case of a drivers license being issued in the United States, the IDP must also be issued in the United States. Contact your nearest AAA office to obtain an IDP.
If someone has a drivers license from a U.S. territory such as Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, how would an IDP work for them?
Since their drivers license was issued by a U.S. possession, their IDP would also be issued in the United States. Contact a AAA office in the United States, and the IDP can be issued and mailed.
What do I need to obtain an IDP?
You need to complete a brief application form (available through this Internet web site, or your nearest AAA office), provide 2 passport-sized photographs with your signature on the back of them, a photocopy of your valid U.S. issued drivers license, and a check or money order for $15 in U.S. funds. If transacting by mail, these items would need to be mailed to a AAA office in the United States. Otherwise, everything can be handled in a single office visit.
NOTE: If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address: AAA/IDP, 1000 AAA Dr., Heathrow, FL 32746 Attn: Mailstop #28
Old 06-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #123
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Not wanting to break anyones thunder, but what is the procedure for importing motorbikes to Spain?

Might have a job opportunity in Barcelona, haven't found any links.

Oh yeah, I don't speak a word spanish :P
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #124
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,154
Thumb Some Administrative issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
You sure about that?? Isn't the Carnet a permit and not the Department of Motor Vehicles? Just curious.
hi,

1 Spanish equivalent to DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) is the DGT (Dirección General de Trafico).

2 The Pink Slip is decomposed on two documents here:

"Ficha Tecnica" Issued by The Department of Industry (Ministerio de Industria)

"Permiso de Circulacion" (Vehicle road permit) issued by DGT.

3 Plate is "matricula" also issued by DGT. To plate your vehicle and depending on which vehicle you are plating, you shall pay the "impuesto de matriculacion" Vehicle Plating Tax to your regional Tax Service. the new EURO Directive is already operational and plating tax is measured in terms of emissions on CO2 your vehicle splits into our beloved athmosphere. Thanks god enduro bikes are exempted of it and many road bikes. For instance my HP2 will pay 4.5% over vehicle value (ex VAT).

4 Driving License is "Carnet de conducir" issued also by DGT.

All this mentioned are like FEDERAL documents , issued by Federal administration.(Administracion central)

5 Then you shall pay your Muni Taxes Over Vehicle (impuesto municipal de circulacion) to the city Hall department, which is an annual payment. It is issued and due from time the vehicle is plated yearly by local administration.

To buy your vehicle new yo have to do most of all mentioned above.

Sorry for

alfaris screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 04:46 PM
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #125
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC
Not wanting to break anyones thunder, but what is the procedure for importing motorbikes to Spain?

Might have a job opportunity in Barcelona, haven't found any links.

Oh yeah, I don't speak a word spanish :P
I did recently register my bike from Sweden to Spain. The procedure is the following for importing a vehicle from an EU country to Spain.
  • According to the latest legislation, if one imports a vehicle from another EU country within 60 days from the date the owner of the vehicle unregisters him/herself from the home country's tax system, there is no need to pay any import tax. This is good news but I can assure you you will need these 60 days since the process takes time
  • Everything starts at ITV, the office of inspection of vehicles. ITV wants a document called Certificate of Conformity, this document lists all technical documents of the bike and is prepared by the producer. I got this document from the Swedish Importer of KTM. The document (it has to be absolutely the original) has to be presented to ITV along with the original registration papers of the inital country.
  • If you don't have or can't get the COC document (apparently it is the importing company's responsibility to archive and provide it to the bike's owner), then you have to contact the Colegio de Ingenieros (Institute of Engineers), book a time and they will send an engineer who takes all measurements of the bike and prepares a document called ficha de technica, this would cost you around 250 euros, so you better find the COC document.
  • Then you pay an inspection fee, in my case (KTM 990 Adv) it was around 100 euros and book a time for the initial inspection. ITV can give a date in 3-4 weeks.
  • That day, you bring the bike, they confirm the chassis number with COC or ficha de technica and ask you to pay another 10-15 euros and join the inspection queue again (don't ask me why they do so, ITV has its routines ) In the second inspection, they do a full inspection, including emission measurements, brakes, lights etc.
  • We assume that the bike passes inspection then you pick up your ficha de technica and permit for circulation form ITV.
  • Then you go to the tax office. You need to present a form which proves that you have unregistered yourself from the home country's tax system and it has to be approved (in Spanish) by that country's consulate if possible. In my case, the Swedish tax office sent a document to the Swedish consulate in Spain and they wrote a letter in Spanish explaining that I am not registered there anymore. If you don't want to unregister from the home country then 7% of the vehicle value (there is a table about how to calculate the value, first year 100% of the new price, second year 80% etc) if the engine is less than 1600cc (most bikes are ) has to be paid as tax
  • Assuming that you presented your papers then you are exempt from paying this tax but at the same time you have to register yourself to the Spanish tax system, well couple of documents need to be filled there
  • then you go to the municapility and pay the road tax
  • finally you go the traffic office called traffico and pay the license plate tax and apply for license plate and your registration papers.
  • couple of days or a week later, traffico issues the registration papers and then you go to a small shop nearby which makes the licence plate, pay the fee and get your licence plate.
  • Finally you contact a Spanish insurance company, insure the bike
  • Your bike is Spanish now
  • You need to unregister the bike from the initial country, every country has different rules in that. For Sweden, we send the original registration (in my case, it was archived but Swedish traffico accepts the ITV stamped version), a written request to unregister, the original license plate or my confirmation that I will destroy it. Swedish traffic office then informs the Swedish insurance company.

ITV archives the original registration papers but gives you a stamped copy of the originals. Ask them to make multiple stamped copies, they will be needed, because tax authorities, municapility etc ask for a document that proves you owning the bike and in my case Swedish registration papers show that piece of information.

You need the NIE (spanish identification number) number to be able to do all this, if you don't have it, then you should start with that process, which includes registry in the town hall, then at the immigration police then back to the town hall.

As you can see those 60 days are really needed, the process is pain in the ass. I managed to do that with a very limited Spanish and had to use my unresistable charm to female spanish government officials . They are quite helpful indeed. Patience and smiling open all doors.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #126
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Friends,
I consider selling my bike. Besides segundamano.es can you recommend any other online sites to place my ad?
thx
Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #127
BeachBum
Adventurer

motos.net

Paul
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #128
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum
motos.net

Paul
Gracias
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #129
javi_r90s
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi from Mediterranean coast

Hello!

I'm Javi from Pineda de Mar a village of coast between Barcelona and Girona in Spain.

I ride r1150gs a DR350 and one Bultaco 155 of 62 '
I expect to enjoy much of this one forum and I will try to help in what could.

Regards ADVriders.

javi_r90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #130
Bandit GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi Javi. See you at gstrail.es (and this site too)
Cheers, Jorge
Bandit GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #131
Ousouye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hi from Seville, I´ve just logged in for first time.
I´m the proud owner of a brand new Tenere 2008.

Ousouye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #132
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,100
Chicos,

Soy Dominic el canadiense en Barcelona, voy a Marruecos hacer pistas del 15 al 30 de septiembre pero a la vuelta me encantaria hacer pistas en el Pireneo con vosotros.

Nufenen much tiempo que no hablamos, te acabo de enviar un mensaje hoy aqui en ADV. Acabo de leer el ride report del viaje que hiciste con tu mujer y el belgico, guay!

Saludos,

Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufenen
Ey! Carlitos!

I'm from Cubelles we ride together. I have lost the Dominic number, a canadian man who is living in BCN with an Africa Twin.

Well, if anyone want to ride with us, we are on www.motostrail.com

See you!
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #133
nufenen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hola Dominic, ya he visto tu privado. Sí! Las vacaciones han sido fantasticas.

Cuando vuelvas de Marruecos quedamos y nos mirarmos fechas para ir a los pirineos.

Saludos.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #134
payo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello everybody, it´s the first time that i write in this forum.
I´m from Madrid, Spain.
And we are planning a 2nd morocco trip in november.
I hope that everything goes well, or almost well....
Best regards.
Attached Images

payo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #135
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by payo
Hello everybody, it´s the first time that i write in this forum.
I´m from Madrid, Spain.
And we are planning a 2nd morocco trip in november.
I hope that everything goes well, or almost well....
Best regards.
Hel-ola,

Just back from Morocco, Atlas and the south, PM me if you want a map of some of the latest pistes I found. I am not in this forum often.

DD
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote