User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
glassgs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
New Guy Questions

I have never ridden a scooter, but owned 8 motorcycles. I am faced with a 30mi trip to school in the near future, in a big city. Fuel cost is a big concern as is traffic, storage, weather protection. A 450-650 scooter has my eye (burgman).
A recent call from my wife, at work on the other side of this city, reporting that it was pouring down rain there and hoped that I was not out on the bike. This was a great time for me to try my rain gear ride to school, which I did. I stayed mostly dry under my gear (phone got soaked), clutch hand was stiff and sore (work out) and wondering what I would do with my wet gear at school. I won't sell my 1150GS but, the tall 1st gear, lack of storage for my $500 Shoei!! with gear has me thinking? Any thoughts?
glassgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
What's the fastest speed you need and for how long? Hills?

You might be able to do this on the cheap (if price is an issue) with a used Honda Helix. Funky looking, but can do 65 easily and plenty of cargo space to stash stuff in the trunk. About $1500 and up. There are entire herds of people who tour the US on 'em, putting 40K or more on on the original drivetrain. Good scoots.

The Elite 150 and 250 (also used) might also be a consideration.

Tell us a bit more about what the roads are like, traffic, and so on.

Same situation (sort of) for me--the GS is serious overkill for the commute I've got (It's shorter than yours) so scoots do really well for having a place to stash stuff, easy parking, not so much of a workout in stop-and-go.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,867
The Helix has a better ride for a thirty mile commute, ad better rain protection than a GS, but the Elite can be parked much easier. With the Helix, you mostly have to use a real parking space, with the Elite, you'll be amazed where you can park it. In the city. I'd probably slap a black "50" on each side and park it on the sidewalk.

The 150 is a great little scooter as long as you don't have to go more than 55 MPH on the flats.
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
leapfrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I love the burgman 400. There's just no waste of money. I can ride it for short commutes around town, pick up milk, 5lbs of potatoes etc... and on the weekend I ride with my husband he has a vstrom, and like last weekend we covered ~500 miles. So you can tour with it too. Very versatile scoot-maybe your wife could ride it when you ride your other bike?

Good luck with whatever you decide

"d"
leapfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
glassgs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hills are a real factor in Pa. The ability to easily accelerate and cruise at 65mph with jaunts higher for defensive moves. I am looking foreward to the CVT trans. How is the vibration with the single cylinder vs twin cylinder scoots?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
glassgs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Morphous!

The Morphous is a cool looking scoot! May just have to go check one out. What will I do if I don't look like everyone else on the road?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
bgroover
woodchuck

Oddometer: 79
I have a 1200gs and am thinking of a scooter due to the stop and go traffic.(In sw pa) 30 mile round trip. The one I like is the Aprilia Scarabeo 500. It is $7300 but is ABS, power brakes and full luggage. I also like the abs Honda Reflex and Silverwing. About $5300 and $7300 before luggage. I like the idea of better gas mileage on the reflex being a 250 but the Scarabeo seems to be the ticket based on specks and should be the best compromise of power and MPG and bigger wheels. The dealer said it would be two weeks before I could see one. I am only looking at ABS models. I think they make a burgman ABS but it is over $8000. I am 6 foot 1 and the Reflex feels good to me. If the Scarabeo doesn't feel right I will proabably end up with a Honda.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wvriders/
bgroover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
leapfrog
Adventurer

Hills on a 400 eh no problem

going to the desert eh no problem

going to the beach eh no problem it's a scooter man!

My daughter(11), husband and I have a blast riding together, we even went camping-

good luck with whatever you buy but don't rule out a burgman for all it can do. I never rode a motorcycle before, bought this bike used and rode it home Las Vegas to San Diego- stayed off the freeways (had no idea how to ride) Stayed on the highways, took two days. After riding in the wind, rain with trucks, desert, mountains, cold I learned how to ride "a little bit".

"d"
Old 05-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
mrmonk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
A good used Burger will only cost you about $4K, probably for less than you want to spend though .

M
SWRrider Blog
mrmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
glassgs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Turned my trip to the mall into a scooter search. Got to see the 400 Burgman, my legs are too long for it. Saw the 400 Majesty and it is nice, good storage under the seat and a place for my helmet (XXL X-11?). The Morphous is a cool scoot with less storage space but, still a place for my helmet though. What kind of mileage can I expect for a 6'2 250lb guy? The Cee Bailee higher screen would be a must. Salesman said a test ride was available on the 400 Majesty. How would the Maj and the Morph compare power wise on the road? MPG wise?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #11
donsolo
MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer: 156
better than a suburban or a Har(d)ley
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
leapfrog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassgs
Turned my trip to the mall into a scooter search. Got to see the 400 Burgman, my legs are too long for it. Saw the 400 Majesty and it is nice, good storage under the seat and a place for my helmet (XXL X-11?). The Morphous is a cool scoot with less storage space but, still a place for my helmet though. What kind of mileage can I expect for a 6'2 250lb guy? The Cee Bailee higher screen would be a must. Salesman said a test ride was available on the 400 Majesty. How would the Maj and the Morph compare power wise on the road? MPG wise?
My husband is about your size, and he feels fine on my scoot. He looks different than me on it though . I will admit the scoot looks a little small but he likes to take it out cause the ladies are always interested in talking to him about it. I see it in his eyes when he gets home to let me know the girl down at the parts store really likes the bike he let her sit on it .....lucky for him I am not the too jealous type... What he didn't like about the Majesty was the handlebars hit his knees-

"d"