ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
darkstarmoto OP
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 403
More storage in the glove box

My 1st (useful) post as an Adventure owner after picking up my 05½ 950 late last fall. She’s been torn down all winter getting some seriously needed maintenance (has 50K+ on the ticker) and I’m in final assembly for Spring riding. Wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts all the great info on this forum, it made any issue I had concern about easy to deal with because all I had to do is hit the search button and voila…answers found.

So you’ve installed your (insert your favorite foam intake filter kit here) on your 950/990 and it’s awesome, but you noticed now there’s some extra space under the factory glove box. Yeah, I noticed the same thing and since I’ll remove the box to service the filter anyways I started thinking about how nice it would be to be able to put more stuff in the box then just a wallet, a pack of smokes, maybe a pair of shades and your average smart phone. I’m putting a lock barrel on my door eventually and want to be able to pull my GPS or what have you and throw it in there and lock it up while off the bike.

I searched around and didn’t find any pre made solutions so with that line of thought I set about making it deeper. Basically cut out the existing floor and made a nice aluminum box that fit nice and tight and is deeper by about 3”. I was also in need of a good place to mount my Shindengen FH020AA regulator and the plan is to mount it to the outside bottom of the new box floor.

Anyways on to the pics. Will post a side view of it mounted tomorrow.

So much room

No going back now

New deeper box (lighter for scale)

Side view

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]05 KTM 950ADV[/B][/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkOrange][B]08 KTM 690 SMR[/B][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR=Black]07 Ducati MTS1100S[/COLOR][/B] - [COLOR=Red][B]Redneck Engineering Mutant[/B][/COLOR]
darkstarmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Great idea, I was looking at mine just the other day thinking exactly the same thing.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Good thought sadly they CPR snap out bracket does not allow expanding glove compartment.

Still made some use of the space under it mounting the pump for the air horn under the snap out bracket.

/Johan

[URL="http://www.dirtyadv.com"]www.dirtyadv.com[/URL] (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Grizzz4440
Over the Hill (Wild Bill)

Oddometer: 108
Cool

Nice job !guy needs all the room he can get.
Grizzz4440 is offline   Reply With Quote