User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #151
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
A Garmin GPS like the ones mentioned above are great. The 60csx and the eTrex units are cool. Alternatively, there are "knotmeter's" that are made for paddleboarders and kayakers, but they do add a tiny bit of drag to your hull.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #152
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Garmin makes the Forerunner series which is worn on the wrist and made for runners, but it would work well for you and the 101, sells for under $100.
Just ordered one, thanks for the tip. Gotta love this forum!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #153
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
I don't get in too much rowdy water, yet! I have my street pilot mounted in front of the cockpit and a battery from an uninteruptable power supply mounted in a container between my legs. The street pilot has battery capability, also. I've dunked it once with no adverse effects other than popping the fuse on the battery, I also carry the etrex as a backup. I have USRoads and Rec loaded into it which shows all the boat ramps and access areas, it has revolutionized my scouting abilities and has allowed me to find hidden waters that you normally wouldn't see and by taking a short portage off the main channel find some incredible pools and ponds that one would've missed otherwise.

Could you imagine the havoc we could create in the "laying down tracks" forums?

The hydrolock threads would spike...

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #154
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

Could you imagine the havoc we could create in the "laying down tracks" forums?

The hydrolock threads would spike...

I have some recently that start at a local boat ramp, they might just think it was a shallow water crossing.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #155
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
I have some recently that start at a local boat ramp, they might just think it was a shallow water crossing.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #156
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:

We could go and map out sandbars for the truly adventurous.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #157
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
We could go and map out sandbars for the truly adventurous.
A little photoshop work on the "ride report"...

Sure, a 1150GS on the "Neuse River Adventure"? No problemo. Easy ride. We took it at 5mph just to watch the scenery.

PS - bring goretex

PPS - and a bilge pump

PPPS - are you scuba certified? Good.

PPPPS - if your jesse bags don't leak by now, they will after this ride...

Like I like. Yep.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #158
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,449
Quote:

Garmin makes the Forerunner series which is worn on the wrist and made for runners, but it would work well for you and the 101, sells for under $100.
I've got the Forerunner that I use on my recumbent trike, hiking and intending to use on the canoe. Waterproof, gives basic speed and distance info, breadcrumb track and more. No mapping though. Two versions, either rechargeable lithium battery or two AAA's.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #159
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,039
Quote:
A little photoshop work on the "ride report"...

Sure, a 1150GS on the "Neuse River Adventure"? No problemo. Easy ride. We took it at 5mph just to watch the scenery.

PS - bring goretex

PPS - and a bilge pump

PPPS - are you scuba certified? Good.

PPPPS - if your jesse bags don't leak by now, they will after this ride...
The next great invention will be a bike with pontoons, unless it has already been done?
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #160
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Do they teach a "c" to "c" style roll? At the height of my white water paddling days, I had a hand roll down pretty effectively. You really have to snap your hips and force yourself to keep your head tilted over on your shoulder after the snap until you are fully righted, or you wouldn't make it.

After some searching, they taught me the brace roll, shown here.

They were teaching me that and I had a sweep roll in my head, from a rolling dvd I had purchased. That could be part of my confusion.

I was also rolling a 17' touring boat, is there a preferred method for different boats?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #161
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,516
Cool link Patch! I still say you can't cognize when upside down. I find letting a student rest their head on your shoulder while they're upside down so they can breath but still go thru the motions works well. Stress the set up and then practice making the rest one habitual, linked, executed motion. Don't forget to eventually practice your offside and then hand rolls too. Good luck.

I also don't really think the type of boat matters as long as you're well braced in there even if it's only by your thighs. Some touring boats actually come up easiers with their peaked or rounded decks as opposed to the flatter decks of some ww kayaks.

Ya hoo fun! MH
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #162
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Cool link Patch! I still say you can't cognize when upside down. I find letting a student rest their head on your shoulder while they're upside down so they can breath but still go thru the motions works well. Stress the set up and then practice making the rest one habitual, linked, executed motion. Don't forget to eventually practice your offside and then hand rolls too. Good luck.

I also don't really think the type of boat matters as long as you're well braced in there even if it's only by your thighs. Some touring boats actually come up easiers with their peaked or rounded decks as opposed to the flatter decks of some ww kayaks.

Ya hoo fun! MH
Thanks for the tips. My instructor said my hip snap was good and even my setup was correct, but in-between those two I get a little sloppy, lacking a fluid motion, good brace and keeping my head down, part of it I bet is just from thinking too much about it. I also was in a pool where there were kids and a huge corporate party with 200-300 people around the pool, add in we were cramped for space and it just added too many other elements at that time. Hopefully I will be to practice again soon, with a lot less people and more room.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #163
patch29
Surly Rider

Here is a link to a lot of different style rolls with only a very brief description.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #164
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,449
You know, if you guys just bought canoes, you wouldn't have to worry about getting upside down and wet.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #165
patch29
Surly Rider

I was able to look at two more kayaks today. The Impex Currituck and the larger version the Assateague.

These are very nice boats, in line with what I would like. I like the larger cockpit on the Assateague, I can carefully slide my knees in or up while seated and I have more room to let them relax in the boat. The one thing I do not like is the placement of the skeg control. It goes right into my kneecap and it is padded. The smaller Currituck does not off the room for me to move around and I have to slide my legs in first, but it feels much better. For some reason the skeg control is further back in this model, making my knees fit much better. The tighter fit is nice though if I were in rougher water or wanted more boat control. One was used, one new, so I would want to try and find a better deal on a used Currituck. It is definitely in the running.

They both have IR backbands and seats. The felt fine. I think I like the CD backband a little more, it has less curve in it, but either would work. I did like the overall seat of the Impex boats. The Currituck is about 1/2-3/4" narrower than the Assateague, fine for now, it might get a little tight with more clothing in colder water. I was wearing heavy cotton shorts at the time.

The Impex boats look very well manufactured and have a lot of nice little points. The bulkhead behind the seat is clear, to help let light in when you are looking for items, well laid out, reflective deck lines and the fit and finish looked very good to me.

I really want to try and paddle a British Style boat now. Then take it into some surf.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: