User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #166
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,364
A couple other items I like about the Impex boats, the skeg housing did not get in the way of storage, it was set back a bit from the hatch, where it felt in the way on the Gulfstream.

I also like the dual style carry handles front and rear.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #167
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
My Family Kayaks

Here is myself and daughter in the blue, wife in the green, and wife's friend in red. All going down the American River in Sacramento. Kayaks are great!
The gal in the red kayak POS boyfriend took the picture. He met us at the end.

Davis53 screwed with this post 06-19-2006 at 09:01 AM Reason: Picture to Small
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #168
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,839
Saturday's outing

I spent a good part of Saturday exploring the St. John's river. Pictured below is the route I took from the boat dock to the S.R. 415 bridge. This was my final run after some three hours of paddling. I didn't think my average cruising speed would be that good due to my general fatigue and having to fight persistent headwinds which constantly threatened to blow my hat off. Fortunately there's no water current to contend with since the St. John's merely connect two lakes. As it turned out, my average cruising speed on the final run was 4.83 mph - still pretty respectable, given the circumstances. No telling how much faster I'll eventually be able to go once I get a boat with a fast hull speed and a decent paddle, but it'll be interesting.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #169
patch29
Surly Rider

Here is a wooden kayak that must have taken a lot of work and care to create. The details are amazing. I don't think I would want to paddle it anywhere, it is too nice and too expensive, starting bit $8000.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #170
patch29
Surly Rider

Here is another cool link to the principles of kayak rolling, rolling styles and some physics of the capsize diagrams.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #171
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Here is a wooden kayak that must have taken a lot of work and care to create. The details are amazing. I don't think I would want to paddle it anywhere, it is too nice and too expensive, starting bit $8000.
Jeebus. Gorgeous boat, but strictly a "wall hanger". I wouldn't dare even expose it to sunlight.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #172
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Jeebus. Gorgeous boat, but strictly a "wall hanger". I wouldn't dare even expose it to sunlight.
No kidding. I would not mind having the skills, time or patience to build it.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #173
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

I'll be picking up my new kayak on Sunday. The Kaskazi Skua ARX, shown here with its removable spray-deack in place:

Cockpit area with spray deck removed:

Mine will be the yellow/white color scheme:

More info on the Skua:

http://ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.or...uperyaks2.html

Aurelius screwed with this post 06-27-2006 at 06:10 AM
Old 07-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #174
patch29
Surly Rider

I finally found the offer I could not turn down.

A shop north of Atlanta, The Outside World, had a 4th of July Sale. The Current Designs Sirroco was $899 vs $1399, so I am not the proud owner of a yellow Sirroco.

They had a different selection of boat from what I have seen before. I was able to sit in a P&H RM Capella 166 and a Glass 163. I really liked the feel of the 166 it was a little roomier, felt stiffer and I think the thigh braces and seat were better, but it was a lot more expensive. Now that I have paddled the Sirroco with the rounded hull I am not sure how I would like the Capella for playing around with its more defined keel. I would like to paddle one some day.

Day one with the Sirroco, wow what a different ride, with no keel it can really meander, but with the skeg it tracks very well. I am going to need to take some courses to learn how to control it better, but I do like it. It has a lot of rocker, the Looksha felt so different when I got back in it. It feels like a very flat boat. As someone told me the Sirocco floats like a duck in water and that is very much how the hull is shaped.

I played around with some rolling skills and I am feeling better about rolling this boat. I can layback a little more without having a seat hit me in the back. I also bought a whitewater skirt, which works much better than my touring skirt for keeping out the water. I was able to roll with a paddle float, to that was very helpful to, keep me in the boat (instead of a wet exit) and practice keeping my head down and the other motions. Maybe next time I will get it right.

One thing that was interesting with this boat is that I was able to get back in without a paddle float and I did it within a minute or two. It was not pretty, but in a pinch it can be done, in rough water I am not sure but it only gets easier with a paddle float.

Now I have a second kayak, perhaps I can find someone to go with me now.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #175
patch29
Surly Rider

The Outside World also has a very unique indoor pool, photos and video can be found here.

Quote:
"The Wave" is a simulated river feature in our exclusive indoor play pool at The Outside World. It's an excellent device for teaching beginner and intermediate technique, testing new boats or just having fun without all the preparation one might need for a "river trip".
Old 07-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #176
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
nother early am on the lake.

sorry but it's hard to get pics of the canoe while in it...

the good old sears boat. lasted 15 years a heavy abuse and still see's a day here and there.

now i need to finally make those whicker benches I've wanted for years...that and new paddles.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #177
patch29
Surly Rider

Here is my new ride.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #178
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Looking good, Patch!~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #179
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Looking good, Patch!~
Thanks, hopefully this will give me the insight into the style of boat I prefer most, so I can someday move up to Glass or Kevlar kayak.

I am also tempted to get a used whitewater kayak to take on some of the rougher sections of some of the local rivers.

Does anyone have any experience with a Dagger Crossfire? I found one locally that seems fairly cheap and it looks like a decent boat to run a river in.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #180
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Thanks, hopefully this will give me the insight into the style of boat I prefer most, so I can someday move up to Glass or Kevlar kayak.

I am also tempted to get a used whitewater kayak to take on some of the rougher sections of some of the local rivers.

Does anyone have any experience with a Dagger Crossfire? I found one locally that seems fairly cheap and it looks like a decent boat to run a river in.
I paddled one years ago when it was a new boat. I liked it at the time, but I couldn't compare it to newer boats as it's been a few years since I've done any river WW paddling. It was definitely a decent boat though, so if the price is right...

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: