User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #226
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
If you need any help with the sail rig, shoot me a PM. I can take some pics for you.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #227
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
These modern boats make my 1946 Grumman 17' look like an antique!
Or... make my canoe & I look like antiques. I came home from the Marines in '71 and went back to school on the GI Bill (spelled broke) and lived on the Tar River. Judy and I would paddle 3 miles upstream with a bottle of wine and a ball of Gouda cheese and drift back down in the evenings.....good times. Still love Judy and the canoe!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 AM   #228
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,522
Cute shot, Linzi!

DirtDOG, I can't even believe how calm that water is in some of those shots! And those waves look like a LOT of fun! Yeah baby!

Hey Bandito, that Rob Roy looks a lot like the ol Mad River Monarch. A good friend of mine loves his.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #229
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Here's KLRBarry in his 13' Necky Manitou which is a fine boat. I'm buying the Necky Manitou 14' with drop skeg as soon as I sell my other boats.

Barry just bought a Liquid Logic Pisgah 14' which is perfect for him but a little tight in the cockpit area for me, very nice paddling boat though.

DirtDOG screwed with this post 12-31-2006 at 06:40 AM
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #230
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Cute shot, Linzi!

DirtDOG, I can't even believe how calm that water is in some of those shots! And those waves look like a LOT of fun! Yeah baby!

Hey Bandito, that Rob Roy looks a lot like the ol Mad River Monarch. A good friend of mine loves his.
The lower Neuse River basin where it enters Pamlico sound is an interesting place, it can go from calm to violent in a mater of minutes. I remember when I first started going there about 30 years ago and would watch a small wind shift and all the folks that live on the south shore of the Neuse would immediately yank their boats out of the water as they knew what was coming. Last spring when we were down there we had 35-55 knot winds from the northwest for 3 days and it sent waves breaking onto my brothers lawn. Here's a pic of that just starting as we rounded the point back to his house. It was smooth as glass just an hour before when we were headed south.

This pic is at the intersection of the Neuse River and the interscoastal waterway as winds out of the northeast arrive just in time for our 5 mile paddle back to the northwest. It wasn't what I would call fun.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #231
MrBob
Welcome to Medicare

Oddometer: 7,513
The guy who sold me my sailboat also has an old canoe hanging in the rafters of his garage. It was canvas covered at one time and now all of the canvas is gone. What's left is in good condition: ribs, slats, stem, thwarts, seats, etc. I promised him that if he sold it to me I'd restore it and use it regularly. He likes the idea but has been unable to determine a value. What should I offer him?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #232
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentspoke
Would a boat like that Old Town Adv 139 be a good boat for extended river touring? For example I have always wanted to put in across the street from my house and go 100 miles or so to the coast. It is mainly flat moving water, with some Class 1 and 2, maybe 3 in a few spots that could be avoided.
Lot's of slow sections, so I would not want to be in a short boat. Also not interested in white water, just exploring some of our more tame rivers, but I am thinking a Sea Kayak would not be good either as I would never be in the ocean. So these mid length boats sound interesting.
'spoke,
There are lots of boats that would fit the bill, the Old Town is quite wide thus has great initial stability. you can fish out of it easily with adding a bit of rigging. Most of the stuff I do is exactly of which you speak, just nice touring but not out in the open ocean, mostly local rivers and lakes, back bays and estuaries. I'm a pretty big guy with long legs and big feet so that eliminates about 75% of the boats out there. My choices are few but there are more and more boats for the larger paddler coming on line every year. If you're serious about getting a boat, try as many as you can before you buy.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #233
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
The guy who sold me my sailboat also has an old canoe hanging in the rafters of his garage. It was canvas covered at one time and now all of the canvas is gone. What's left is in good condition: ribs, slats, stem, thwarts, seats, etc. I promised him that if he sold it to me I'd restore it and use it regularly. He likes the idea but has been unable to determine a value. What should I offer him?

Take a close look at the condition of that wood before you offer him anything- may look fine on first inspection, but it's probably dried out and brittle. You'll need to rework that wood to a great degree before you can put any kind of load on it. On Ebay you'll occasionally find frame-only Klepper kayaks. They're usually a few hundred dollars- but there's a lot of detail that make Kleppers foldable. An old canoe frame is probably not worth a heck of a lot, unless it has a good coating of varnish or poly on it.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #234
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,522
Great photos, DirtDOG.

But man, I don't think I'd be havin fun either with all that junk straped to the fore deck of that kayak!

I don't like anything on the decks of my boats except a compass up front and a spare paddle out back.

Oh well, it's all good as long as everyone makes it home unscathed.

Take care. Have fun. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #235
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Great photos, DirtDOG.

But man, I don't think I'd be havin fun either with all that junk straped to the fore deck of that kayak!

I don't like anything on the decks of my boats except a compass up front and a spare paddle out back.

Oh well, it's all good as long as everyone makes it home unscathed.

Take care. Have fun. Mark H.
My brother fishes out of that boat at least 3 times a week and the old milk crate holds his stuff, now that he has the new boat he'll be able to travel less the "hillbilly" look. I kid him about it all the time.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #236
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

WooooooooooooHoooooooooooooo, new boat in the house. Yesterday I sold my other boats within an hour of listing them on Craigslist and came home with this Necky this evening. I won't be working much tomorrow.

With cool cockpit operated drop skeg.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #237
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,627
Canoeing in the mountains....

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #238
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
He looks like he's traveling on through but I'd be pulling up on that nice camp spot. "Hard ta port, Bert"
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #239
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

That ain't no "one lunger"~

Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #240
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
That ain't no "one lunger"~
Just my luck she'd be a carbon/kevlar snob.

"Why yes, it is plastic."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: