User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #256
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Last Saturday KLR Barry and I went to Lake James to do a 10 mile trip and it was the maiden voyage of my new boat. I love this boat.

Barry's new Liquid Logic Pisgah 14

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #257
Win38-55
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
The only way to travel.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #258
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Last Saturday's entertainment;
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #259
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komet
Looks nice...sort of a canoe-kayak hybrid?

Bell calls it a "Decked Canoe" and is called the Rob Roy in honor a guy that wrote pulp novels about his kayaking adventures about a hundred years ago.

John MacGregor (1825-1892)

John MacGregor, through his extremely popular books and magazine articles from 1865 to 1892, practically invented the sport of canoeing (or kayaking, we would call it today).

One correspondent tells us MacGregor spent part of his youth in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where his father was stationed in the '30s in a fort. He may have picked up some canoeing experience there.

He graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge, earned an M. A., and became a barrister-at-law in the Temple, London. He formed and became Captain of the Royal Canoe Club, England.

From reading his books you will notice he carried in his canoe a number of religious tracts (in this movement called "Muscular Christianity") written in the local language and was always ready to hand them out. He did not travel on Sundays, but did lecture on his travels and gave much of the profits to charities, especially to boys in the inner cities.

He published accounts of several other canoe cruises, including one to Scandinavia and another to Jordan and Egypt. We have seen the Baltic cruise book but haven't had time to scan it yet. The appendix to that book gives some construction details for his canoe designs.

A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe on Rivers and Lakes of Europe, [1866,] 1892
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #260
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,942
Very nice pics DirtDog. What are you using for a camera and how are you waterproofing it?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #261
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

[QUOTE=2whlrcr]Very nice pics DirtDog. What are you using for a camera and how are you waterproofing it?[ /QUOTE]

Sony DSC H5, just keep it in an inflated dry bag but other than that it's up to me to keep it out of the water. Get's interesting when passing it from one kayak to the other. :whoops
Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #262
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
I found a Manitou 14 to paddle, and some similiar boats. One of these weekends we will go try them. I kinda like the sound of that Prijon Yukon Expedition too. Have not located one to try out though.
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #263
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentspoke
I found a Manitou 14 to paddle, and some similiar boats. One of these weekends we will go try them. I kinda like the sound of that Prijon Yukon Expedition too. Have not located one to try out though.
http://www.brown-web.net/kayak/Revie...Expedition.htm
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #264
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 610
Texas river fishin.

Goin after some trophy bass

I love it when a plan comes together

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #265
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
My son on the Bow River here in Calgary. Kyaks are Q-Stars made by the Western Canoe Company in Abbotsford BC. Weight 24 lbs.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #266
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,555
Very pretty, DirtDOG.

Very vibrant.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #267
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Bell calls it a "Decked Canoe" and is called the Rob Roy in honor a guy that wrote pulp novels about his kayaking adventures about a hundred years ago.

John MacGregor (1825-1892)

John MacGregor, through his extremely popular books and magazine articles from 1865 to 1892, practically invented the sport of canoeing (or kayaking, we would call it today).

One correspondent tells us MacGregor spent part of his youth in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where his father was stationed in the '30s in a fort. He may have picked up some canoeing experience there.

He graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge, earned an M. A., and became a barrister-at-law in the Temple, London. He formed and became Captain of the Royal Canoe Club, England.

From reading his books you will notice he carried in his canoe a number of religious tracts (in this movement called "Muscular Christianity") written in the local language and was always ready to hand them out. He did not travel on Sundays, but did lecture on his travels and gave much of the profits to charities, especially to boys in the inner cities.

He published accounts of several other canoe cruises, including one to Scandinavia and another to Jordan and Egypt. We have seen the Baltic cruise book but haven't had time to scan it yet. The appendix to that book gives some construction details for his canoe designs.

A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe on Rivers and Lakes of Europe, [1866,] 1892
That's interesting.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #268
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

I was perusing some smugmug accounts and found this report about the Etowah River in N. Georgia. Evicta and I along with my brother and his wife did this trip about 20 years ago. It's really cool because there is a tunnel through a mountain that extends about 1/4 mile and at the half way mark there is a shaft that goes to the summit of the mountain. Pretty freaky doing whitewater inside a tunnel. There is a rock shelf that blocks half of the exit at certain water levels and makes for an interesting finale if you hit it wrong. We spent a whole week doing the Etowah, the Hooch and a bunch of lakes. Sure was a fun time.

Check out the album
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1330947
Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #269
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
Found a Prijon Yukon Expedition in NY, the problem, I live in Oregon. He said I could drive by and pick it up though.
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #270
motorcycle_guy2004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Kayak surfing

I just stumbled across this thread looking for ideas for towing my sea kayaks behind my WeeStrom. Here's a shot from some surf time last summer in my NDK explorer:

And one of my favorite shots:

Still looking for trailer options -- so far the best seems to be a Rack & Roll setup, which is a bit pricey, though.

-Tom
www.VirginiaSeaKayakCenter.com
www.tomshobbies.net
motorcycle_guy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: