User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #46
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,284
Most of the time the clients dont see them as you are out front, so when you do see a really big one, you slow down and call all the punters to gather around for one of your really interesting stories.

That way you are surrounded by much nicer looking stuff for the croc to choose.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #47
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya
Most of the time the clients dont see them as you are out front, so when you do see a really big one, you slow down and call all the punters to gather around for one of your really interesting stories.

That way you are surrounded by much nicer looking stuff for the croc to choose.
like the babe in the blue bikini ??

Old 05-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #48
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Too cool patch29! I used to own a kevlar Slipper! Perfect for me and my little dog, Comet. I wish I still had it but my knees don't do well bent that sharply for very long. You may need a whole new gunwale. Here's a link telling about who Mad River is now a part of: http://www.youcanpaddle.com/company.htm

Thanks for the MRC info. I knew something went on. Do you know why they don't offer the boats they used to? It seems to me that Wenonah offers what MRC used to offer, or am I missing something.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #49
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Hudson River, NYC, before September 11th.

Betsie Bay Kayak. Recluse Model. 19.5 feet. All made of wood.

dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #50
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
like the babe in the blue bikini ??

Well put, astro!
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #51
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,284
Actually, on this stretch apart from one memorable character who is fond of the odd human, all the big crocs are quite shy, especially if you are in a group. No one goes near the water after dark or goes walking on their own during the day. No tourists have been taken... yet. That big boy follows us every now and then, looking for stragglers I suppose. The chap kneeling down in the guide photo has come nose to kayak with him once, and the chap holding my kayak was padlding with another guide, just the two of them alone exploring and one attacked the other guys kayak but imidiately let go, maybe kayaks don't tate so good to a croc.

This area was a war zone for about 25 years up to the late 80's and they were shot at repeatedly. Also the locals take pot shots at them enough for them to keep respectable distances or sink when you approach.

What is pretty impressive is when you are floating like in this photo and keeping quiet. Crocs like to sun themselves and by floating in the current you can come around bushes to a sand bank of a few big ones. Once they see you they dash for the water, (they feel safe there). For someone who has not seen this before the sight of a fat 10 foot armoured toothy torpedo launching itself frighteningly quickly off the bank towards you can leave one a brown stripe down the middle, with a solid bit or two.

(they can easily outrun a human over short distances)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #52
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya
. . . The chap kneeling down in the guide photo has come nose to kayak with him once, and the chap holding my kayak was padlding with another guide, just the two of them alone exploring and one attacked the other guys kayak but imidiately let go, maybe kayaks don't taste so good to a croc.
reminds me of Larsen's Far Side cartoon of the 2 polar bears, stomachs bulging, lying contentedly next to an igloo with a hole in the roof. One says to the other "I just love this kind -- crunchy on the outside, soft, pink and chewy on the inside".
Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #53
Commie
Kurwa Peligrosa

Oddometer: 2,955
I just bought one of these, and it's backordered again

Commie screwed with this post 05-24-2006 at 06:13 AM
Commie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #54
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
About two hours ago in Marina Del Rey...

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #55
Marbleless
Intelligentsia Wannabe

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
About two hours ago in Marina Del Rey...

LC, that is so friggin' cool. I heard it's light. I wonder if I could strap it to my GS?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #56
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleless
LC, that is so friggin' cool. I heard it's light. I wonder if I could strap it to my GS?
I think you might be just the guy to try it! It is light - 26 lbs. It's looooong though at just a few inches shy of 21 feet. You've gotta come paddle it some time. You of all people will appreciate it. Especially when riding some ocean rollers.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #57
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Interesting, LC4. A friend of mine who owns a shop up here called Alaska Kayak said he's gonna bring some of those up here. Being uninformed, I asked him why? He said the things really fly! Interesting.

Cool Betsie Bay dlew. I'll bet that thing really cuts through the water! I'm just a bit more into a greenland style for the really big water and the aesthetics myself. Lovely never the less. MH
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #58
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
I think you might be just the guy to try it! It is light - 26 lbs. It's looooong though at just a few inches shy of 21 feet. You've gotta come paddle it some time. You of all people will appreciate it. Especially when riding some ocean rollers.

Damn Anthony, that thing is really, really cool. I've been wanting to get into kayaking myself. (Is yours even a Kayak?) I'm going to try and make it to the REI demo days this weekend just to check some out. I'm interested in maybe doing an overnighter or something. I guess that would be light touring? I don't know, but it looks like alot of fun.

Errin
Old 05-24-2006, 05:08 AM   #59
slowmotion
Banned

Oddometer: 3,709
This should be on a wall or something. Sweeeeeeet...

slowmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #60
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Interesting, LC4. A friend of mine who owns a shop up here called Alaska Kayak said he's gonna bring some of those up here. Being uninformed, I asked him why? He said the things really fly! Interesting.

Cool Betsie Bay dlew. I'll bet that thing really cuts through the water! I'm just a bit more into a greenland style for the really big water and the aesthetics myself. Lovely never the less. MH
AKDuc, yeah they are fast, and a lot of fun. They really start to get fun when you are paddling in the ocean and are running with some waves. You can catch a set of rollers and surf a set for up to 200 yards + at times.

As for the wooden kayaks, I love those Pygmy boats. Might build one some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
Damn Anthony, that thing is really, really cool. I've been wanting to get into kayaking myself. (Is yours even a Kayak?) I'm going to try and make it to the REI demo days this weekend just to check some out. I'm interested in maybe doing an overnighter or something. I guess that would be light touring? I don't know, but it looks like alot of fun.

Errin
It's a solo outrigger canoe (OC-1 class of boat) that is a closed deck racing style canoe. This one is a Hawaiian style one designed for ocean use and can handle rough water. There is a slightly different type of outrigger from Tahiti that is designed primarily for more sheltered water, like they typically have in Tahiti inside the Motus. Those are more of a sit in style, but don't have a spray skirt like a kayak does. Also, the Hawaiian style ones have a rudder that is connected to foot pedals for steering, whereas the Tahitian style does not have a rudder. They are a lot harder to steer, with the paddler often having to paddle 10 strokes on one side for every 2 on the other.

In Hawaii, they race outriggers like these between the islands with some races being 50 or so miles long. I am hoping to do the Newport - Catalina race next year, which is a 31 mile race.

As for touring, even light touring is pretty much out for these outriggers, because there is no real storage (a deck bungee is all mine has). It's really best used for racing, having fun paddling and surfing, and to get a great workout.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: