ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #811
riceless950
Let's Ride!
 
riceless950's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: The Great Northwet
Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
[/IMG]



Beautiful drop Gaston! Thanks for sharing the photos.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #812
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Bismarck
Oddometer: 1,248
How about some flat water...



__________________
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
Vagrant, vagabond, transient, hobo, bum. But park a motorcycle next to him and PRESTO! He's an advrider!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #813
Bimble
In giro in moto
 
Bimble's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Oddometer: 8,350
Into the Tsangpo Gorge

Wild footage of the 18,000ft deep Tsangpo Gorge being run.

Hulu link
__________________
Siamo tra qui e lė.
Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #814
wizz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: over yonder on the north coast of ca
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
This is a surfboard for Kayakers. It's called a Waveski. More popular in OZ and SA than in the US. Pretty dang fun!

there is a guy in my area, nocal, that makes world class sit inside fiberglasss surf kayaks. his boats have won internationals a few times and he has won nationals himself a few times. dont have a link but his name is dick wold and his boats are tops in world class surf kayaking.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #815
wizz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: over yonder on the north coast of ca
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
Wild footage of the 18,000ft deep Tsangpo Gorge being run.

Hulu link
was at an event here called rivernights where two of the guys who made that descent showed the movie and had a q&a. if im not mistaken most of the gorge is so large and gnarly with ungodly amounts of water that it was unrunnable.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #816
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz
there is a guy in my area, nocal, that makes world class sit inside fiberglasss surf kayaks. his boats have won internationals a few times and he has won nationals himself a few times. dont have a link but his name is dick wold and his boats are tops in world class surf kayaking.
Good stuff... would like to give that a try some day.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #817
wizz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: over yonder on the north coast of ca
Oddometer: 1,525
i can tell you from experience that going from plastic to these boats in the ocean is like going from a scooter to a cbr- so much faster with crazy carving ability. literally sitiing on a surf board.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #818
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtz
My winter project finished. Registration tomorrow. Launching next weekend.

Very nicely done!

Can you provide details? Is this a "book" pattern or did you loft it from scratch? Looks like about 15-16 ft. Epoxy?

Iseveral years ago I built a Redbird (from Canoecraft) as my first boat. That went well & I wanted a whitewater boat so I lofted one after studying the Mad River Freedom. I will find some pics. Since we live in Utah, they we clean & scratch free for .....about 1 day.

Here is a pic of the Redbird on a trip to the Canadian Rockies....Bow Lake I believe. Note the green water. Don not swim here....





Again...Nice work!
JLH
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #819
aztec06
mono loco
 
aztec06's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Oddometer: 4,037
yesterday
__________________
"everybody knows this is nowhere"
aztec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #820
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,988
Nine days and counting before Bill the Duck, myself and two guys from SC and ATL head to Manaus Brazil for a riverboat/kayak trip up the Rio Negro. Pictures to follow.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #821
Riverbud
Ding fries are done
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 134
My wife Patty and I went up to Salida for FIBARK last week and had a chance to take out a couple of Dynamic Duo tandem kayaks. I'm in the front of the orange one, and Patty is in the front of the green boat.





__________________
http://riverbud.smugmug.com/
Riverbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #822
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice
 
Bill the Duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Nine days and counting before Bill the Duck, myself and two guys from SC and ATL head to Manaus Brazil for a riverboat/kayak trip up the Rio Negro. Pictures to follow.
That reminds me, anybody out there with a folding kayak know for sure whether a freshwater stingray can puncture the hull with its tail barb? Oh, and are fiberglass paddles piranha-proof? My boat's a Longhaul, so with the rubber hull I've got the electric eel thing covered, I think.

*gulp*

Gerry, how long ago was it when you first asked me "Wanna hear a crazy idea?"

Is it Wednesday yet????
__________________
Content free!
Bill the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #823
Gringo
simple by nature
 
Gringo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: a small drinking village with a fishing problem
Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
That reminds me, anybody out there with a folding kayak know for sure whether a freshwater stingray can puncture the hull with its tail barb? Oh, and are fiberglass paddles piranha-proof? My boat's a Longhaul, so with the rubber hull I've got the electric eel thing covered, I think.

*gulp*

Gerry, how long ago was it when you first asked me "Wanna hear a crazy idea?"

Is it Wednesday yet????
I think our nautiraid took a few jabs from stingrays in the FL keys with no harm done; I do know we rode right over a shark's back in shallow water and felt the boat's skin slide along that 'sandpaper' back; not a mark. I've also run aground on oyster beds here on Cape Cod many times, and it just scuffed it up a bit. That hypalon is pretty tough stuff.

No worries about piranhas - you'll be swimming with them before you know it. They don't bother people and the last thing they'll be interested in is a fiberglass paddle blade... and electric eels only mess with you if you mess with them, so don't go bottom fishing in any shallow, turbid streams... they're a bitch to get off the hook.

Boa viagem!!! Hope you see some pink dolphins...
__________________
- Gringo

____________________________________________
"I mean seriously, what is funnier than Helen Keller" - Mutineer

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #824
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice
 
Bill the Duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
I think our nautiraid took a few jabs from stingrays in the FL keys with no harm done; I do know we rode right over a shark's back in shallow water and felt the boat's skin slide along that 'sandpaper' back; not a mark. I've also run aground on oyster beds here on Cape Cod many times, and it just scuffed it up a bit. That hypalon is pretty tough stuff.

No worries about piranhas - you'll be swimming with them before you know it. They don't bother people and the last thing they'll be interested in is a fiberglass paddle blade... and electric eels only mess with you if you mess with them, so don't go bottom fishing in any shallow, turbid streams... they're a bitch to get off the hook.

Boa viagem!!! Hope you see some pink dolphins...
Thanks man, me too (dolphins). Really looking forward to this.
__________________
Content free!

Bill the Duck screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 09:35 AM
Bill the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #825
Trinity
Byron in Texas
 
Trinity's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas
Oddometer: 284
From a recent trip to Caddo Lake, near the Texas/Louisiana border:



Very unique...getting out of the bayou onto the main body of the lake we had to go through quite a lot of "duck weed"...looked a bit like paddling on a putting green...
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014