Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #76
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuY
Where can a noob go to get educated on these things?

Also, are there any that are made for bigger fellas?

1: see my post above - if you're talking about folding kayaks specifically, the book by Ralph Diaz is THE reference you should seek out.

2: ever met Jabba? He didn't come by that nickname accidentally.
Either his Raid or mine is well suited to a large solo paddler - both have a central removable frame member that can be placed to support the front paddler's backrest, or moved back one rib to position a solo paddler in the center of the boat. Go for the Raid II if you want to do flowing water, rivers, or anything requiring maneuverability, or the Grand Raid if your orientation is more long distances, trips, etc. For solo paddling you'll need an accessory one-hole spray deck if you want to cover it up for bad weather (comes with a deck for two people already), and you may need something other than the stock sprayskirt, which barely fits me (40" waist). For fairweather paddling you need nothing other than the stock boat, a paddle, and a lifejacket.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #77
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuY
Where can a noob go to get educated on these things?

Also, are there any that are made for bigger fellas?
www.boatertalk.com
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #78
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,430
Here is a picture of a canoe I was stationed on.

I was a Plank Owner in 1977. I can't believe they decommissioned in 16 years. What a waste of money.

2whlrcr screwed with this post 05-26-2006 at 03:51 PM
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #79
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr

I was a Plank Owner in 1977. I can't believe they decommissioned in in 16 years. What a waste of money.

SWMBO's dad's "canoes" during WWII:

It's "'Commander' dad" when I talk to him.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #80
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
I was a Plank Owner in 1977. I can't believe they decommissioned in in 16 years. What a waste of money.
Dayum. I've got underwear older than that!

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #81
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Here's a cedar strip canoe my good friend Rob built about 10 years ago. He built it over the course of a couple of months in the basement of a NYC tenement apartment building. He almost couldn't get it out in one piece after it was finished!

This is in the Adirondacks...

Here I am with a Northern Pike caught on that trip...

Here's Rob with a nice Weakfish (aka Squeteague) caught on Shelter Island.

Here I am with another Weakfish...

and a little Striper just before releasing it...

We've caught a lot of fish in that canoe over the years.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #82
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:

FUcking paddle must weigh a ton!~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #83
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,725
Here are some from today kayaking Prince Williams Sound near Whittier, Alaska, I paddled the Dagger Meridian SKS, Mark paddled VCP Nordcapp. It was in the mid 60's and beautiful.

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #84
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
This thread has tempted me in a new direction. I am looking at buying a Fiberglass kayak. I have never owned one, so do I need to do anything differently? I would think getting in and out of the boat I just need to pick a less rock place than I might with my poly boat.

How about scratching the gel coat while it is on the roof rack? I use a Yakima rack with Hully Rollers and straps with cam locks. Are these fine is there a better way to not damage the finish?

I would like a boat that is faster and I am looking at a Current Designs Andromeda.

Any advise or precautions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Patrick
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #85
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
This thread has tempted me in a new direction. I am looking at buying a Fiberglass kayak. I have never owned one, so do I need to do anything differently? I would think getting in and out of the boat I just need to pick a less rock place than I might with my poly boat.

How about scratching the gel coat while it is on the roof rack? I use a Yakima rack with Hully Rollers and straps with cam locks. Are these fine is there a better way to not damage the finish?

I would like a boat that is faster and I am looking at a Current Designs Andromeda.

Thank you,
Patrick

Careful with the Current Designs... their quality has slipped considerably since their relocation to your country. A great hull but the latch system on the dry storage compartments are notorious for leaks. You will notice that a glass kayak is much quicker as well, unless it's wider than your previous.

The thing with kayaks is that each design and model is a little different from the others, since each of us is built differently. You really have to try each one out for an hour while getting it on its secondary, some will not agree with you and feel very unstable while others just feel "right". If you are going to own one that your wife or daughter will use, make sure you get their input as well. Because womens hips are wider, they will prolly not have the same comments about a certain model as you will.

Not sure if you get Seaward kayaks in the US or not; up here on the west coast of Canada they are hugely popular and my personal favorite.

Last bit of advice... take lessons on basic strokes and self-rescues. And don't worry about the scratches.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #86
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyBoy
Last bit of advice... take lessons on basic strokes and self-rescues. And don't worry about the scratches.
I did that a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize that you're supposed to show that you can escape from a skirt, self rescue and pass a test to get the certificate that allows you to rent certain boats. I guess it makes sense as floating in the bay here can certainly kill a person.

BTW- Only 3 of our class of 10 got the certificate.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #87
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 420
Glad you passed. I see from your profile that you've been in my neck of the woods already. Get your ass back up to Port Alberni, take the Lady Rose ferry to Sechart Lodge, rent some Seawards and paddle the Broken Group Islands. Amazing set of islands, great way to spend a week.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #88
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,655
Quote:
Glad you passed. I see from your profile that you've been in my neck of the woods already. Get your ass back up to Port Alberni, take the Lady Rose ferry to Sechart Lodge, rent some Seawards and paddle the Broken Group Islands. Amazing set of islands, great way to spend a week.
I like and appreciate the recommendation, however, Mexico and the Gulf of CA are beckoning and that's the priority and the aim. I truly love our fine neighbors and the Country to the north but that'll have to wait.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #89
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Careful with the Current Designs... their quality has slipped considerably since their relocation to your country. A great hull but the latch system on the dry storage compartments are notorious for leaks. You will notice that a glass kayak is much quicker as well, unless it's wider than your previous.
Haven't seen any signs of leakage so far - the interior compartments of my Current Designs Squamish have remained bone dry, even after several day long adventures in rough seas. As for the relative speeds, everything I've read suggests that the differences are greatly exaggerated. I paddle my plastic hulled Squamish at sustained speeds of just under 5 mph on local lakes. As you can see, its not exactly a racer:

I've only been kayaking for about a month, and I'm not in the best physical condition. By comparison, racers on lightweight carbon fiber composite surf skis like the Futura II below cruise at roughly 6 mph - only a 1 mph difference.

Quote:
Not sure if you get Seaward kayaks in the US or not; up here on the west coast of Canada they are hugely popular and my personal favorite.
According to their website, Seaward's dealers are located in the Northeastern US: http://www.seawardkayaks.com/searchDLRsearch.aspx
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #90
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29

Here are some on-line reviews of the Andromeda, including usefull comparisons with other kayaks: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show....html?prod=844

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: