Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #1366
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
did you stretch new canvas?? i am trying to figure out how to do that on mine.
and so far not gettting what i would call good information..
Navarro canoes don't have any canvas on 'em. They're fiberglass and wood. We used to sell 'em at REI.

And sorry, don't know anything about fabric boats myself. Good luck, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #1367
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,799
Can anyone help me identify this kayak? It's a 10-foot kayak but I can't make out the make. I'm going to take a look at it this afternoon and I want to be able to make an informed decision.

I'm looking for a kayak to just putt around in the bay with, nothing crazy.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #1368
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Another beutiful day on the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1369
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Can anyone help me identify this kayak? It's a 10-foot kayak but I can't make out the make. I'm going to take a look at it this afternoon and I want to be able to make an informed decision.

I'm looking for a kayak to just putt around in the bay with, nothing crazy.
What bay?
Something that small could pose serious problems if the wind starts blowing and creating waves if you are away from shore any distance. I'd look into some kind of Sea kayak for bay paddling. Ideally you want something with a skirt, that you can roll back upright. Can you roll a kayak?
Those little kayaks are only really good for calm rivers and small lakes.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #1370
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
What bay?
Something that small could pose serious problems if the wind starts blowing and creating waves if you are away from shore any distance. I'd look into some kind of Sea kayak for bay paddling. Ideally you want something with a skirt, that you can roll back upright. Can you roll a kayak?
Those little kayaks are only really good for calm rivers and small lakes.
Nothing like the Chesapeake. I live on the Santa Rosa Sound, essentially part of the intracostal waterway. The water--which is literally right outside my back door--is generally calm and easy.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #1371
njpaddler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Bluhduh Think it out 1st, ask yourself "What if?".

Quote:
Nothing like the Chesapeake. I live on the Santa Rosa Sound, essentially part of the intracostal waterway. The water--which is literally right outside my back door--is generally calm and easy.
This is how people get into trouble year after year. You want a boat that will handle conditions that are not ideal. Bays, especially shallow bays, are more dangerous than the ocean in wind. The windswept waves steepen faster and higher because it's shallow.

Put it this way: when I'm riding, I am ATGATT. I don't dress for the air temperature, I dress for scraping on asphalt and blunt impact. When I'm paddling, I don't dress for the air temperature either, I dress for immersion in cold water. I don't plan on either, but I'm protected if things go south.

The point is, expect that some day the worst will happen and if you're prepared for it, you have a better chance at surviving it. That starts with choices you make to manage the risks, meaning the right boat for the type of paddling and the skills to use it, meaning practice at self-rescue and recovery, and the effortless ability to roll up when you flip.

If I sound alarmist & preachy it's because I used to work in a paddleshop, had lots of training and trip-leading experiences and saw lots of preventable mistakes ruin people's days. I also made the same stupid lack of judgement mistake one day on the Hudson and was given up for dead by all when a 53 MPH storm rushed on top of me during a quiet, sunny, sleepy drifting afternoon. I never saw it coming, and should not have survived it, but I did.

That unidentified little boat is for calm lakes & rivers, as was pointed out. Take it onto any bay, get far out enough and caught in a sudden squall and you are severely screwed. Wear orange, it makes body recovery easier for the SAR boys.
njpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #1372
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Kayak people.

Jeebus, I don't think he's planning any open water expeditions here people. He's looking for a beach toy. Some perspective may be in order.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1373
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
A longer kayak with a spray skirt is still a better option. The boat depicted looks very cheap(costco boat?) and as I said, is more suited for a small lake, flat water stream/river...with no rocks. Personally I would never buy something like that.

Once you start paddling you WILL want to go exploring further away from the comfort of right in front of the house. It will be better suited for that and you don't have to wear the skirt all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Kayak people.
Funny, giving someone advise so they don't get the wrong equipment and wind up not liking it for it's intended purpose or even worse, possibly dieing as a result of having the wrong equipment has never been funny. But hey, that's just me.
Granted the Sound he is referring to is small I'd rather err on the side of being safe than sorry.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #1374
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Kayak people.

Jeebus, I don't think he's planning any open water expeditions here people. He's looking for a beach toy. Some perspective may be in order.
Askel is right on, obviously njpaddler and bwalsh—despite being well-intentioned—completely missed the boat.

The price was very right and I did get it. It's a cheap beach/lake toy for me and I'm sure it'll get plenty of use and get me some exercise.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1375
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Askel is right on, obviously njpaddler and bwalsh—despite being well-intentioned—completely missed the boat.

The price was very right and I did get it. It's a cheap beach/lake toy for me and I'm sure it'll get plenty of use and get me some exercise.
Great and enjoy. It is a fantastic pass time.

Can you do me a personal favor please. Add some flotation bags or bottles to the boat. Something that will not pop out when you go over. Something like this is what I have in mind: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760

Thank you.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1376
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post
Great and enjoy. It is a fantastic pass time.

Can you do me a personal favor please. Add some flotation bags or bottles to the boat. Something that will not pop out when you go over. Something like this is what I have in mind: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760

Thank you.

There is some flotation foam already stuffed in the bow and stern that should do the trick.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #1377
njpaddler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thumb Missed the boat

Ok, hey, enjoy every second of it !
njpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1378
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Funny, giving someone advise so they don't get the wrong equipment and wind up not liking it for it's intended purpose or even worse, possibly dieing as a result of having the wrong equipment has never been funny. But hey, that's just me.
Granted the Sound he is referring to is small I'd rather err on the side of being safe than sorry.
When I first picked up a paddle a few years ago, I quickly decided that I wanted to go fishing on a local river flat. Granted, the main channel of the river can be quite treacherous on a rising or falling tide and flats drain quickly. I first posted to a local fishing forum and the Safety Nazis came ou of the woodwork! I was terrified to take my kayak out on the flats. I went out and bought a special kayak! I got every safety thingie that I could think of. Only then did I venture out. The end result is that I am, to this day, terrified of that river, top to bottom and I miss out on a lot of fun. What makes it worse is that I see, every single time I go out, people, some of the very same people from the fishing forum and "civilians" all over the place doing thins and in craft that I was assured would have me swept out to see, drowning of hypothermia. Caution yes, paranoia, no.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1379
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
That little boat has a lip for a skirt to fit on.
I bought a skirt for my kayak but usually use a splash deck instead. Splash deck is like half of a skirt, it covers the hole in front so paddle drips don't get in, but doesn't attach to my body.
I like Sealz brand skirts. Not much more expensive than department store stuff and much better made.
Still paddling that $75 used kayak!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #1380
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I think that a sit on top would be a bit better than the sit in type in this case. If and when you tip over getting back into a full kayak is a bit more difficult to deal with. A SOT you just flip over again and climb aboard.

I agree though with all the safety stuff mentioned though, it's part of the "Better safe than Stupid Plan" or worse, the "Better Safe than Dead Plan"! Carry a knife nice and handy when around fishermen as you're bound to get caught, snagged or even hooked! They'll cast right at you at times, and yes you'll be an actual target for them to cast at so be prepared to cut a line, especially when impaled with a treble hook!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: