User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
scootertrash OP
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Cool news video on scooters..

Found this news clip on the Houston scooterbattalion.com site....

http://www.scooterbattalion.com/ (scroll down)

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Ngorongoro
boon

Oddometer: 186
Does Texas have a helmet law?

I saw several riders without a helmet in the video.

I guess that is another way scooters can save gas - you can't ride it when you are in a coma after a crash.
Ngorongoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
Hey Ng... what kind of Aprillia you riding ?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngorongoro
Does Texas have a helmet law?

I saw several riders without a helmet in the video.

I guess that is another way scooters can save gas - you can't ride it when you are in a coma after a crash.
Texas does have a Helmet law, but if you take the MSF you can file for a sticker to put on your plate that makes you exempt from the Helmet law.

Also if the scooter is less than 50cc a Helmet may not be required 'cause in many states a scooter isn't considered a motorcycle and some places they aren't even worthy of requiring insurance or registration. I used to ride scooters all the time without a helmetbut would never ride a "real motorcycle" without one. I've been down more than once on a scooter too. I doubt I'd ride without one now though.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Ngorongoro
boon

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Texas does have a Helmet law, but if you take the MSF you can file for a sticker to put on your plate that makes you exempt from the Helmet law.
Wow - with that logic you can reason that if you take a Skydiving training course and become certified, then you can apply to jump without a parachute . Strange regulation.

Here in my province in Canada you can be exempt from wearing a helmet if you have a "medical condition" that prevents you from wearing a helmet and a doctor certifies it. I see A LOT of riders without helmets here. I do not know who has less on the ball - the riders or the doctors that are writing the certification.

All I know is my insurance rates will keep going up every time a helmetless rider requires medical treatment for an injury that could have been prevented.

kdude - currently the only Aprilia in the stable is a SR50R Factory 50cc 2-stroker. I am currently negotiating on purchasing a Scarabeo 500. I really like the Aprilia product. It is underrated, IMO. I just wish Piaggio would import the entire Aprilia lineup to North America and invest in developing a proper dealer network. I would love to try a Caponord, but I do not feel confident in the after sales maintenance and parts availability.
Ngorongoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Mr. King
Adventurer Lite

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder

Also if the scooter is less than 50cc a Helmet may not be required 'cause in many states a scooter isn't considered a motorcycle and some places they aren't even worthy of requiring insurance or registration. I used to ride scooters all the time without a helmetbut would never ride a "real motorcycle" without one. I've been down more than once on a scooter too. I doubt I'd ride without one now though.
Under 18 YOA a helmet is required.

You have to have an additional $10K in insurance to get the helmet exemption sticker on the plate. An MSF course won't do it.

The law doesn't seem to be enforced unless a rider is pulled over for another violation.

MacMan