Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Dukeryder OP

Oddometer: 7,551
Question Chinese Scooters

So what's the deal? Which ones are good, which ones not so good? Rumors are some are made with the same (not clones) engines that go into the Yamaha and Honda scoots.

There's so many different brands but sooo many look the same. I figure the point of this thread is to educate some of us on which of these Chinese Scoots are viable alternatives to the Japanese ones. So far through the Search I've found Vento highly reccommened but not much mention of anything else other than the Chektak(sp) which is a retro look/vespa copy. I'm mainly interested in the 150cc bikes so that my girlfriend can ride too and I too can have some fun with and get some grins.

These TGBs look cool

but how do you know if it's junk or not????

TIA!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Vento is good. TGB has had good reviews.

The Chetak is indian made by Bajaj--very good, but discontinued IIRC--if yo're interested in a metal shifty scoot it gives you a clean 4-stroke engine with a 4-speed manual shift on the grip like the classic vespas and lammys. The Vespa PX parts are not necessarily interchangeable with it for mechanicals or body parts.

In the used department, check out the Honda Elite 80 and Elite 150. You can sometimes find them for what a new chinese scoot will cost you for a 50 or 125/50.

Go here for a gripefest and blacklist of baaaaad scoots.

If you go with a Vento, try www.qualityscooters4less.com and www.powersportsfactory.com, as well as the yahoo vento group here for good online support of Ventos.]

Give Kymco a good look--they're not chinese but while we're talking scoots, what the heck, gotta talk Kymco. They're well-built, have a great reputation, and a solid presence in the US with a big HQ in South Carolina. They put a 2-year warranty on their machine. I've got a Super 9 and love it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Dukeryder OP

Photog,

Thanks for the quick reply! Didn't know the Chetaks were Indian. I'm more interested in the plastic bodies scoots though. If I were back in Daytona I'd be able to find a used one in a minute, but due to my current location finding a decent used one is next to impossible. I've eyed a few used ones on eBay but I really wouldn't want to buy anything that is more than a couple years old without physically inspecting it myself. From my experinence most scoots belonging to people I knew usually didn't see ANY maintenance let alone regular maintenance.

When I lived in Daytona everyone seemed to have one sitting around, so far the best one I've ridden was a 50cc MZ Miskito, but that's probably only because it was the newest. Between that and the Aero 80 those are probably the 2 scoots I've got the most time on. I've ridden the Zuma all over Key West, and that was a decent scoot too, just the rental was a little abused.

I'm going to look over that site, thanks for the link seems like a TON of info over there. I don't know jack about the off-brand scoots and don't want to get burned.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
chuckklr04
Banned

Oddometer: 4,612
In about a week you can check out the quality of the Tank scooters first hand.

Just swing by my house.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132191

chuckklr04 screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 08:03 PM
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
chuckklr04
Banned

I can get you one for around $1050.00

4 Stroke Moped Street Racer 150cc 4 stroke with Performance pipe and Factory tuning option

click to see larger imageName: Moped - Super Street Racer 150 Your Price $1050.00 On Sale
Other scooters com $1,439.00
Serial Number: Moped 150 Racer TK150T-7
Manufacturer Name: Tank
Stock Status: Sorry out of stock

Notify Me When Stock Is Available
Street Legal Moped Series

Fast moped for sale online 150cc 4 stroke street legal! Buy your scooter online now.

The 150cc Racer Moped the fastest moped in the 150cc scooter category. The 150cc 4 stroke scooter engine is tuned for pickup and top speed. The Deluxe upgrade has a high performance muffler and the engine is factory tuned for even more pickup and torque. Please note the Deluxe 150cc Racer moped does not come with a scooter trunk. Top speed is 65 MPH + in most cases.

If you want to save on gas, this scooter gets close to 90 MPG! Imagine how many times you can go to work and come back on $3 of gas.

Online scooter / moped buyers beware. Some scooter com and moped com online stores sell you this moped for about the same price, make sure that it is an original Tank Brand, not a cheap imitation and that residential and lift gate delivery are included in the price.

Urban Racer 150 Specification EngineEngineSingle Cylinder, 4 Stroke, 149.7CC CoolingAir Cooled CarburetionSingle Walbro Carburetor IgnitionCDI(Electric Start), Kick Start Drive Train TransmissionAutomatic Clutchless Centrifugal Belt DriveChassis and Suspension FrameSteelFront Suspension Twin Telescopic ForkRear Suspension Twin shocksBrakes, Rim and Tire Front Brake Hydraulic Disc Brake with ABS Rear Brake Drum BrakeFront Tire 130/60-13"Rear Tire 130/60-13"DimensionWheel Base 56"Seat Height 28"Clearance6"Crated77"x46"x22"WarrantyStandard6 Month engine and drive trainExtendedNAFactory OptionAlarmIncludedTrunkIncluded (not included in Deluxe Model) Remote Control Included ShippingDeliveryFree in the 48 lower US states - Residential & lifgate includedLegalStreet LegalHighway legal in CA and most other states - Check local lawLicenseMotorcycle license required in most states

Please click on the following links to download the user manual for this motor scooter: TK150T-7 Part 1 TK150T-7 Part 2 Color: Blue
Red
Black
Silver

Upgrade: Deluxe model with High Performance Pipe, Low torque high RPM factory tuning - no trunk (Add $60.00)
Deluxe model with High Performance Pipe, Low torque high RPM factory tuning - with trunk (Add $105.00)
Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
chuckklr04
Banned

Don't lie to us. It's really for you!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Photog,

Thanks for the quick reply! Didn't know the Chetaks were Indian. I'm more interested in the plastic bodies scoots though. If I were back in Daytona I'd be able to find a used one in a minute, but due to my current location finding a decent used one is next to impossible. I've eyed a few used ones on eBay but I really wouldn't want to buy anything that is more than a couple years old without physically inspecting it myself. From my experinence most scoots belonging to people I knew usually didn't see ANY maintenance let alone regular maintenance.

When I lived in Daytona everyone seemed to have one sitting around, so far the best one I've ridden was a 50cc MZ Miskito, but that's probably only because it was the newest. Between that and the Aero 80 those are probably the 2 scoots I've got the most time on. I've ridden the Zuma all over Key West, and that was a decent scoot too, just the rental was a little abused.

I'm going to look over that site, thanks for the link seems like a TON of info over there. I don't know jack about the off-brand scoots and don't want to get burned.
Feel free to holler. I've had a Vento (and loved it) and currently have a Kymco Super 9 (50cc) nd an '03 Stella (177cc kitted). The scoots are used as commuters as well as joyriders so they've seen frequent use.

Check out my blog. If you start at the beginning it chronicles my experience with the Vento, from a motorcyclist's point of view, though written for the non-motorcyclist.

I did a ton of research on the Chinese scoots before I got the Vento Zip R3i. It's a good idea to be prepared for a bit of D-I-Y maintenance, more so than with a main line brand like Yamaha, Honda, Kymco, or Piaggio/Vespa and Aprilia. Still, if you're getting something with a known drivetrain like the Minarelli H/V engine or the Honday GY6 you're probably going to be okay for the most part.

The biggest thing is deciding what your needs are going to be with regards to displacement, and that's going to be based on your commute/errand needs, the terrain, flow of traffic, and so forth.

Have a look around the forum, do some searches, and holler if you need anything.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Dukeryder OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckklr04
Don't lie to us. It's really for you!
Yeah more than likely it'll be my play toy but "available" for her to use. It's a toss up right now between a scoot or another bike. I'm definetly going to have to head up to your place and check out the Tanks when they come in.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
I can get you one for around $1050.00

4 Stroke Moped Street Racer 150cc 4 stroke with Performance pipe and Factory tuning option

click to see larger imageName: Moped - Super Street Racer 150 Your Price $1050.00 On Sale
Other scooters com $1,439.00
Serial Number: Moped 150 Racer TK150T-7
Manufacturer Name: Tank
Stock Status: Sorry out of stock

Notify Me When Stock Is Available
Street Legal Moped Series

Fast moped for sale online 150cc 4 stroke street legal! Buy your scooter online now.

The 150cc Racer Moped the fastest moped in the 150cc scooter category. The 150cc 4 stroke scooter engine is tuned for pickup and top speed. The Deluxe upgrade has a high performance muffler and the engine is factory tuned for even more pickup and torque. Please note the Deluxe 150cc Racer moped does not come with a scooter trunk. Top speed is 65 MPH + in most cases.

If you want to save on gas, this scooter gets close to 90 MPG! Imagine how many times you can go to work and come back on $3 of gas.

Online scooter / moped buyers beware. Some scooter com and moped com online stores sell you this moped for about the same price, make sure that it is an original Tank Brand, not a cheap imitation and that residential and lift gate delivery are included in the price.

Urban Racer 150 Specification EngineEngineSingle Cylinder, 4 Stroke, 149.7CC CoolingAir Cooled CarburetionSingle Walbro Carburetor IgnitionCDI(Electric Start), Kick Start Drive Train TransmissionAutomatic Clutchless Centrifugal Belt DriveChassis and Suspension FrameSteelFront Suspension Twin Telescopic ForkRear Suspension Twin shocksBrakes, Rim and Tire Front Brake Hydraulic Disc Brake with ABS Rear Brake Drum BrakeFront Tire 130/60-13"Rear Tire 130/60-13"DimensionWheel Base 56"Seat Height 28"Clearance6"Crated77"x46"x22"WarrantyStandard6 Month engine and drive trainExtendedNAFactory OptionAlarmIncludedTrunkIncluded (not included in Deluxe Model) Remote Control Included ShippingDeliveryFree in the 48 lower US states - Residential & lifgate includedLegalStreet LegalHighway legal in CA and most other states - Check local lawLicenseMotorcycle license required in most states

Please click on the following links to download the user manual for this motor scooter: TK150T-7 Part 1 TK150T-7 Part 2 Color: Blue
Red
Black
Silver

Upgrade: Deluxe model with High Performance Pipe, Low torque high RPM factory tuning - no trunk (Add $60.00)
Deluxe model with High Performance Pipe, Low torque high RPM factory tuning - with trunk (Add $105.00)
It's NOT a moped. Mopeds have pedels.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
So what's the deal? Which ones are good, which ones not so good? Rumors are some are made with the same (not clones) engines that go into the Yamaha and Honda scoots.

There's so many different brands but sooo many look the same. I figure the point of this thread is to educate some of us on which of these Chinese Scoots are viable alternatives to the Japanese ones. So far through the Search I've found Vento highly reccommened but not much mention of anything else other than the Chektak(sp) which is a retro look/vespa copy. I'm mainly interested in the 150cc bikes so that my girlfriend can ride too and I too can have some fun with and get some grins.

These TGBs look cool

but how do you know if it's junk or not????

TIA!
I had a Loncin 125 for about a yr. Mechanicaly, it was OK. Not built as sturdy as a Japanese scooter, but fairly realible. The engine was not a copy of a specific Japanese model, but more like a combo of Yamaha and Honda features.
The fit and finish was sub-par. The paint was deffinately thin and scratched easily and the fasteners rusted.
But it had lot's of features and was a decent value for the money.
My recommendation for non-Japanese Asian scooters, is to look for one that copies Honda's or Yamaha's running gear exactly. That would make obtaining parts much, much easier.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
chuckklr04
Banned

The 250 Tank/Viva is in! Waiting on the battery to charge to take the first spin.

Dukerider, Pass by my house for a test drive.

And lunch

And a beer!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Dukeryder OP

Quote:
The 250 Tank/Viva is in! Waiting on the battery to charge to take the first spin.

Dukerider, Pass by my house for a test drive.

And lunch

And a beer!
Sweet! I'll Definetly Have take a ride up to your place this weekend.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
chuckklr04
Banned

Quote:
Sweet! I'll Definetly Have take a ride up to your place this weekend.
Call before you come. Fuel problem I think. Vaccum powered fuel pump ain't pumping.

Wait a minute, youse bes a ex tech.

Drop by anytime!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
chuckklr04
Banned

Quote:
Call before you come. Fuel problem I think. Vaccum powered fuel pump ain't pumping.

Wait a minute, youse bes a ex tech.

Drop by anytime!
Update ! Dukerider dropped and gave me lesson in vaccum hoses.Seems they left out a few when built.What I expected was true. Vac problems.

How was the steak?

Scoot runs great now below 50. Seems to be running lean and cuts out after running 70 for a bit.

I'm thinking float bowl set to low?

Pics of Duke on Naked scoot to follow.

boiled King crab,boiled shrimp,corn,taters,green bean's,Allaigator sause picauit,Tator salad,Steak,Etc.

Should have dropped by today!
griled gator,
Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Please click on the following links to download the user manual for this motor scooter: TK150T-7 Part 1 TK150T-7 Part 2
That is some of the funniest stuff I have read in a LONG time. There may be two sentences of good english through out both manuals. Here are some quotes:

The function of braking is not excellent after clearing and passing by toblolly. In this case please note rear vehicle till resume well.

If air pressure is normal tire becomes chap, damage and abrasion, will damage steering bar

CHECK THE DISCRANPANCY POSITION
*Check any question and maintain it
*Check free driving of braking
*Catch hold of lever of braking
*Check whether the free distance is suitable

Would it kill them to pay some 12 year old kid to rewrite this stuff in something resembling English? Something tells me the importers Product Liability insurers, if they exist, haven't read the manuals and seen these fine instructions.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote