ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
TypeRated OP
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Nolensville, TN
Oddometer: 131
Tire Recommendation - '05 Tiger 955i

Since I'm planning on buying a particular '05 Tiger that needs some tires, I'm looking for recommendations on what to get. I've been in the sportbike scene pretty much since I've been riding, so I know about the Q3s, 2CTs, etc, but ADV stuff isn't my forte.
I'm looking for something 90-95% street touring, no hardcore off-roading, just an occasional dirt path or gravel road, and something that I can get good mileage out of. For reference it's got a 110/80-19 front, 150/70-17 rear.
__________________
'04 Yamaha R1

TypeRated screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 09:46 PM
TypeRated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
ArchRider
Adventurer
 
ArchRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRated View Post
Since I'm planning on buying a particular '05 Tiger that needs some tires, I'm looking for recommendations on what to get. I've been in the sportbike scene pretty much since I've been riding, so I know about the Q3s, 2CTs, etc, but ADV stuff isn't my forte.
I'm looking for something 90-95% street touring, no hardcore off-roading, just an occasional dirt path or gravel road, and something that I can get good mileage out of. For reference it's got a 110/80-17 front, 150/70-17 rear.
Type,
I've been very fond of the Metzeler Tourance. I have a set on my 2001 Girlie. When I purchase it, that is what the previous owner had on it and I ride quite like you are describing. On the rear, I can typically get around 10k mi out of it.
Now, I have never tried another tire on this bike so you may want to see what other opinions pop up. But for the wearability and wet weather traction, the Tourances are good.
ArchRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
jphish
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tumwater Wa
Oddometer: 611
a 17" front ?? Hmmm - a 19" front is stock for girlies. Might want to check that again.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
jphish
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tumwater Wa
Oddometer: 611
PS - I liked the Anakee 2's - better traction on wet pavement.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 419
Looking forward to inputs on this as well. My Tiger is just about ready for a new set of tires, I have the Metzeler Tourance EXP's on it now.

I was thinking of a set of the Shinko 705's this time around, but not sure. I ride 97% street, but would explore a bit more off road if I was more confident. Not sure the tires would make much difference, it's a tall and heavy bike. I know lots of people take these bikes off road, but a man has to know his personal limits.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
warriorcole
n00b sch00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham Al.
Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRated View Post
Since I'm planning on buying a particular '05 Tiger that needs some tires, I'm looking for recommendations on what to get. I've been in the sportbike scene pretty much since I've been riding, so I know about the Q3s, 2CTs, etc, but ADV stuff isn't my forte.
I'm looking for something 90-95% street touring, no hardcore off-roading, just an occasional dirt path or gravel road, and something that I can get good mileage out of. For reference it's got a 110/80-17 front, 150/70-17 rear.
I have the Mich. Anakee 3s on mine. I am real pleased with them.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
warriorcole
n00b sch00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham Al.
Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Looking forward to inputs on this as well. My Tiger is just about ready for a new set of tires, I have the Metzeler Tourance EXP's on it now.

I was thinking of a set of the Shinko 705's this time around, but not sure. I ride 97% street, but would explore a bit more off road if I was more confident. Not sure the tires would make much difference, it's a tall and heavy bike. I know lots of people take these bikes off road, but a man has to know his personal limits.
The Shinkos are great but get really slippery (scary) with a little age. I like them for the KLR but not so much for the Tiger.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
TypeRated OP
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Nolensville, TN
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchRider View Post
Type,
I've been very fond of the Metzeler Tourance. I have a set on my 2001 Girlie. When I purchase it, that is what the previous owner had on it and I ride quite like you are describing. On the rear, I can typically get around 10k mi out of it.
Now, I have never tried another tire on this bike so you may want to see what other opinions pop up. But for the wearability and wet weather traction, the Tourances are good.
Looks like a pretty good set of tires. I may have to give those a shot.
You guys heard much about the Tourance NEXT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
a 17" front ?? Hmmm - a 19" front is stock for girlies. Might want to check that again.
Fixed. Been on sportbikes too long
Seems the Anakee 2 is discontinued now that the Anakee 3 is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcole View Post
The Shinkos are great but get really slippery (scary) with a little age. I like them for the KLR but not so much for the Tiger.
Had some 705s on my previous KLR. They were on there when I got it. As you said, they were a bit sketchy and not the most confidence inspiring tires on the street. I'd like the Anakee 3s, but man, they're not cheap. I priced a set for $329... not bad, but still not as well-priced as the Metzelers.
__________________
'04 Yamaha R1
TypeRated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #9
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,639
I have just purchased an 06 955 tiger that needs tires.

I have Mich PR4's on my SV1000 and they work great on the street but also grip well on dirt roads as well.

I was thinking of getting a set of the pr4 trail versions for the tiger - they come in the right sizes.

The 705 radials are tempting as they are under half the cost of the pr4's but I keep telling myself tires are not where I should be being a tight arse....
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM   #10
HI378
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 17
Tires for 90-10

I just bought another 05 tiger yesterday and first thing I ordered were a set of Heidenau k60's. They are not 90-10 tires but are fantastic on the street and very good on mild off road. Let us be honest here and admit that 90-10 tires suck on anything but pavement.
HI378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #11
pizzaman383
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 87
profiles

I like the Tourance because it's got a slight more rounded profile than the Anakee and I prefer the smooth turn-in rather than a dive-in. I'm sure this is a slight difference but I thought it worth mentioning.

By adjusting the weight on the front end of the Girlie (buy changing front or rear preload) changes the responsiveness so I use that to fine-tune the handling.
__________________
PizzaMan

Black 2004 Triumph Tiger
Author: Passionate About Pizza: Making Great Homemade Pizza
www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com
pizzaman383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014