Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #1561
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,423
Wow, for a guy with a bad bike habit, you're not much of a negotiator are you? You aren't out of the game. Negotiations have just begun.

There are very few people out there that will pay that much for a 20 year old motorcycle. Give him another month. A dealer with a used bike on the floor, right before Christmas, might think a lot differently.

That bike is yours--Adventure Kitty said so.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #1562
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,596
A Cagiva 650 Elefant has come up for sale in your area DH, and I posted it to the Craigslist Finds Out West thread. The guy might be related to those numbnuts that Tim's dealing with, since he wants $1,500 for something that needs a fair amount of repair, but it might work for somebody talented at restorations.

Like Adventure Kitty.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #1563
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
The guy might be related to those numbnuts that Tim's dealing with, since he wants $1,500 for something that needs a fair amount of repair,
Have you actually seen it? I contacted him weeks ago & he sent me pictures. That bike is not restorable. The plastics are destroyed and the rest of it isn't in much better shape. He was so pompous in the email that I never even bothered to respond ("$1500 firm, I know what it is and I know what it's worth" ).

I thought about buying it, stripping it and building a pseudo Dakar bike out of it but I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it (well, maybe $1200).

FWIW: I paid $2000 for AK's 650. It had 5,600 miles on it and a new battery. It needed a shock rebuild, a fork rebuild, steering head bearings (actually corroded flat spots into themselves), the carbs challenged my last nerve and the corrosion created some intermittent electrical issues. At the end of the day, it was still in far better shape than that CL bike.

I do think it would be a cool basis for a more dirt-oriented bike though. As I posted before: the rear shock is capable of 9" of travel. The front fork is a bit spindly but it's workable. Somebody could ditch the heavy muffler, some of the extra bracketry and maybe even put a smaller battery and ditch the starter (it's surprisingly easy to kickstart). A 7" Baja light up front and minimal instruments would finish it off. A couple of pull-off 750 cylinders and pistons could up the displacement on the otherwise over carbureted engine (twin 34mm for only 650cc ).

A 375 pound, 750cc dirtbike for about $3000. Aww...crap...you've got me talking myself into it again.

Oh yeah, I just remembered their one weak spot: the transmissions are made of glass. Must. Remember. That.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #1564
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Have you actually seen it? I contacted him weeks ago & he sent me pictures. That bike is not restorable. The plastics are destroyed and the rest of it isn't in much better shape. He was so pompous in the email that I never even bothered to respond ("$1500 firm, I know what it is and I know what it's worth" ).
No, I didn't call - I can't afford to pay attention right now. lol3 But it seems that's a common trait for some people with these bikes. My bike needed a lot of work that I could see - and more that I couldn't and the guy wanted $3k because another one had sold - with bags and in better shape for that a couple months before. I was desperate & had to have this bike (bad combo) so I beat him up for $100 and got it.

A 375 pound, 750cc dirtbike for about $3000. Aww...crap...you've got me talking myself into it again.

Oh yeah, I just remembered their one weak spot: the transmissions are made of glass. Must. Remember. That.
See, you've come to your senses.

I guess the moral of the story is - this guy's gonna keep it since he won't budge and most Elefant owners are reasonable, cold-blooded buyers that can walk away from a bad deal.

Yeah, that's it!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #1565
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Wow, for a guy with a bad bike habit, you're not much of a negotiator are you? You aren't out of the game. Negotiations have just begun.

There are very few people out there that will pay that much for a 20 year old motorcycle. Give him another month. A dealer with a used bike on the floor, right before Christmas, might think a lot differently.

That bike is yours--Adventure Kitty said so.
Sorry to disappoint Adv.Kit. but it's not going to happen.

I placed a red wine fueled bid on E-Bay the other night and was quite surprised when it won

So now this beauty is on it's way (BTW it confirms your diagnosis of my "problem")

Sorry Kitty don't be too cross I couldn't help myself
Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #1566
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
So now this beauty is on it's way (BTW it confirms your diagnosis of my "problem")
Yup, take a total snoozer of an 80s Honda, put a big gas tank and paint job on it, so it looks like something that went to Africa and suddenly I want it. I'm such a marketing puppet.

Very cool bike. I suspect you still want the Elefant though. Where are you going to put it when the Elefant's price comes down?

PS: AK just looked at the globe and told me that it's not that far away.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #1567
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Oddometer: 165
Cry Seriously bummed out

here is where i sell the best most cool moto I have ever ridden:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post8305133
Old 11-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #1568
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Bay Area - 94 e900 in CL

I don't know the guy - not associated in any way.

But it looks pretty good, so if you're searching for a 'Fant, here's one:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/930139466.html

Reply to: sale-930139466@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-22, 2:44PM PST

18k miles, new Tourances, seat recovered, custom paint. Wiring upgrade, new battery, recent service.
I bought this bike thinking it would replace my Monster but I was wrong-still prefer a street bike I guess....

Old 01-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #1569
KingRWB
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Elefant on Fire.

Elefant Riders,

Three months ago my Elefant caught on fire. Yes, your heard me, CAUGHT ON FIRE. Fortunately I was pulling back in the driveway when it happened, so I was able to grab the hose and put out the burning air filters within 2 minutes. Only thing that really go tourched was the hydrolic clutch line direcltly under the frame and over the carbs.

I'm just now digging into the Fant to see what's wrong. Here's the story: The bike was still a little cold and I jumped on it to take it around the block. Coming back down the street I gave it a good amount of gas, and it made a large backfire and then started to idle really rough, almost about to dye. To try to bring it back to life I grabbed the throttle again. It immediatly jumped up to 3k RPM's and stayed their, like the throttle was stuck, I then twisted the throttle again thinking maybe I could unstick and it immediatly stuck at 6k RPM's. At that point I gave it up and hit the off switch, just as a large flame came up through the handle bars, catching the gas soaked air cleaners on fire.

Any THOUGHTS on why this happened. I was thinking it may have jumped time, but that would have ruined the engine and made much more noise. Also, I took off the timeing belt covers and they look fine. The engine is turning over no problem and I'm going to check compression. At this point, I think the internals are ok so I'm cleaning the burnt rubber out of the carb and am going to give it try starting it.

Anything else I should check or take into account? Thanks!

OH YEAH. None of the mechanics in my area want to touch the bike, so here I go. There were some posts in the past regarding someone having a manual. The one I downloaded had pages missing so if anyone has one to email or mail it would be much appreciated...

Thanks All,

Rob
KingRWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #1570
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Sorry to hear that. Elefants catching fire seems to be a pretty common problem.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #1571
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

It would help if we knew what year we're talking about. They've had Dellorto carbs, Bing carbs and fuel injection. Every one of them could present a different problem.

Also: stock air filter box and cover or do you have pods? Foam pods burn very nicely. I suppose K&N would as well if you got them fuel soaked.

I don't see any reason why an Elefant would be more prone to an intake fire than any other motorcycle.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #1572
KingRWB
n00b

Quote:
It would help if we knew what year we're talking about. They've had Dellorto carbs, Bing carbs and fuel injection. Every one of them could present a different problem.

Also: stock air filter box and cover or do you have pods? Foam pods burn very nicely. I suppose K&N would as well if you got them fuel soaked.

I don't see any reason why an Elefant would be more prone to an intake fire than any other motorcycle.
The carbs say Mikuni on them, if that helps. Also it had pods on it, but not K&N. Maybe be time for an upgrade on that. I'm taking the carb apart now to soak, anything to note on this. Thanks Again...Rob
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #1573
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

What year bike? Where are you located? This is a worldwide forum. If you want specific help, you have to share specific information. Elefants were made from 1985/86 through 1996.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #1574
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 866
Elefant Sightings

This may be old news but what the hell, I can't read Romanian.
http://www.motoflash.ro/stiri/modele...a_elefant.html
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #1575
KingRWB
n00b

Quote:
What year bike? Where are you located? This is a worldwide forum. If you want specific help, you have to share specific information. Elefants were made from 1985/86 through 1996.
Yes of coarse. It is a 94' 900 Elefant. I'm located in Bend, OR, USA. Thanks...