Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #1261
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomikedh
Nice bike Durangoman, looks like mine. Hope to see you in Moab someday!!!

Just wanted to pass along some fork info for everyone. I am currently trying to cross over the front end for a KTM 43mm setup. The triple clamps from the KTM have the perfect steer tube length for the head tube of the Elefant. After I get this thing put back together I will let you all know what springs I had to order and any other misc. info. Just wanted to share.
hum,,, I am trying to do that as well :-))
Thanks to R-Dubb I have a loaner set of 43mm fork and the Elefant fork has the same dimension as the 43's so I am hoping to re-use the Elefant triples. I have not confirmed yet that the axle length would be the same.

I received the 20mm axle over the weekend and didn't have time to try mounting the fork on the bike for a try.

So are you planning in using the KTM Triple ?
Also are you the person looking for a set on KTM Talk ?

Just wondering , seems like we are trying the same thing at the same time we may get it done
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #1262
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Sounds like a good project. I'm interested to see what you come up with for spring rate. The modified forks on my KTM are really good on dirt but too soft for road. I get full travel over nasty high speed single track but too much dive when braking hard on pavement. I can dial up the comp damping for pavement (which really only slows the rate of dive) but then it's harsh on dirt. If I rode more pavement with it I would try springs with a little higher rate. Keep us posted. I may try Racetech valves first. Any body tried them on the Elefant?
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #1263
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Speedo

Will the speedometer from a mid-90s 900ss fit the Elefant? This Klicks stuff is driving me nuts... and my tripmeter broke.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #1264
motomikedh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
Sounds like a good project. I'm interested to see what you come up with for spring rate. The modified forks on my KTM are really good on dirt but too soft for road. I get full travel over nasty high speed single track but too much dive when braking hard on pavement. I can dial up the comp damping for pavement (which really only slows the rate of dive) but then it's harsh on dirt. If I rode more pavement with it I would try springs with a little higher rate. Keep us posted. I may try Racetech valves first. Any body tried them on the Elefant?

What kind of KTM are you running ?? My friend from infinitymachineanddesign.com is a 640 Adventure master when it comes to suspension. Sounds like you need to beef up the mid-valve if you are getting brake dive. I will let you all know how the project goes.

I plan on using the KTM triple since it is matched to the front wheel axle length. If we use our showa triple clamps with the KTM 43mm forks they will work sliding into the crowns, but now you might have an axle problem. Hope you know a good machinist to make you some spacers. I have a way of calculating the necessary spring rate so that I can order the right ones, I also have to install spacers in the fork to get the right travel length for the Elefant.

I will keep everyone informed. KTM suspension questions, ask zerodog on this forum, he knows his stuff.
motomikedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #1265
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

I haven't tried yet, but seems like the fork legs at the top triple are 190mm from center to center, the E900 seems to have the same dimension.

Again I have the fork and axle here, I haven't had time to try to mount it.

If you have both triple maybe you could measure and compare ?

Thanks
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomikedh
What kind of KTM are you running ?? My friend from infinitymachineanddesign.com is a 640 Adventure master when it comes to suspension. Sounds like you need to beef up the mid-valve if you are getting brake dive. I will let you all know how the project goes.

I plan on using the KTM triple since it is matched to the front wheel axle length. If we use our showa triple clamps with the KTM 43mm forks they will work sliding into the crowns, but now you might have an axle problem. Hope you know a good machinist to make you some spacers. I have a way of calculating the necessary spring rate so that I can order the right ones, I also have to install spacers in the fork to get the right travel length for the Elefant.

I will keep everyone informed. KTM suspension questions, ask zerodog on this forum, he knows his stuff.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #1266
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,283
Lamin Sambou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamin Sambou
nice bike.

could you post some pics of the endcan with the side panel removed?

thanks
andyp
Is Lamine Sambou your real name or are you an honorary Jola?
I surmise Andy P. is your real name, no pun intended, just curious.
Did you go to Senegal from the UK on your Cag'?

Just wanted to talk about the "Lac Rose" which I miss dearly, I used to get there every other week-end
Now I'm in St-Louis Missouri and betrayed the Africa Twin 750 for a KTM 950 (awesome bike).

Ciao Lamin :)

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #1267
motomikedh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I haven't tried yet, but seems like the fork legs at the top triple are 190mm from center to center, the E900 seems to have the same dimension.

If you have both triple maybe you could measure and compare ?

Thanks
Christian
The triple I borrowed has a 14mm offset. The one I am buying which is a stock KTM is 20mm offset. I have no idea what the Showa is that we have on our Fants. The showa steer tube is 230mm and the KTM that I measured is 244mm. It will fit, I may have to make a shim, but I will post pics when I get it all done.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #1268
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
1988 750 Elefant Lucky Explorer

Hi all. I finally got a photobucket account sorted so thought I'd post a piccy of "the flump".
[IMG][/IMG]
Taken in the Rakaia Gorge in the South Island of New Zealand. Spent two weeks touring around two up and attending the Italian Motorcycle Owners Club annual convention. Picked up prize plaque for "best post 1970 Ducati". The judges said it was great to see a bike being used for what it was designed for. It was covered in dirt at that stage and was up against bikes that had been trailered to within a few kilometers of the event just for the show. Also came second in the "slow race". Just couldn't crawl like the big Benelli six with the idle turned waaaay down!
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #1269
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,141
Starting to get more used to riding the Elefant off road. Having very little dirt experience and on a big bike, and not being the biggest guy it has been a challenge but a fun one.
Went riding with a group of four guys yesterday, two on DR650's and one on a BMW Crosscountry and I was the only one who didn't drop their bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281425

Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #1270
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I was the only one who didn't drop their bike.
Good, Ride Faster.. it will happen.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #1271
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
Good, Ride Faster.. it will happen.
Oh, I've fallen just not yesterday. The Elefant is not for crashing, gonna get a DR or something for crashing
Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #1272
motomikedh
Gnarly Adventurer

It's a lot easier to go UP a trail on the Fant, rather than go down. Keep up the good riding skills, and stand up more. That bike is meant for aggressive style riding on the pegs. If you can, work on the forks, I think the stock Showa's are terrible and dive so far you hit the bash plate on everything. Beef up the mid-valve if you have the same problem as I do. Good pics, keep them coming.

We all need to get a rally going this year, since last years fell through and no one committed.. Maybe one in the east, and one in the west to help everyone out.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 AM   #1273
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I was the only one who didn't drop their bike.
Amazing how not being able to buy body parts will keep you from dropping your bike....

I find that standing on the pegs on this bike is the way to go.

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #1274
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flan8tive
Amazing how not being able to buy body parts will keep you from dropping your bike....

I find that standing on the pegs on this bike is the way to go.
I normally do stand and it does offer more control. The truth is by that point I was barely able to hold on and it was the end of the ride. My right triceps and forearms were burning from using the clutch and after we rode out of there, maybe a 1/2 mile from that point we hit the pavement and cruised home.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #1275
rogersboyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Looking for really nice Elefant

I've had my minds eye on an Elefant for about a year, and just missed a Lucky Strike nice one on ebay. I hesitated, and it was gone.

I'll pay top dollar for a really nice one.

Jeff Rogers
rogersboyz is offline   Reply With Quote