Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #1441
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis24
Credit for this goes to flash_412 from the Yahoo Gran Canyon group. The picture of the tool is for the GC which I believe is the same as the E.

You're having trouble with the lugs shearing on this tool?
I assumed (possibly incorrectly) when I saw the tool, pin & bolt photo that the bolt was used to lock the tool & pin together by passing thru the pin centre & screwing into the tool.
I may be miles of beam here but if that is possible it will make it a lot harder to shear the lugs off. Maybe that's worth a try?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #1442
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Oddometer: 519
Talking Stampy the Elefant is home!

It may not be much in the way of a ride report, given the road I traveled, but it's pretty special to me. I just returned from picking up my new wheels, a 1995 Elefant .

I left for the St. Louis, MO area to buy the Elefant listed in this thread at the end of last week, and spent part of Friday and all of yesterday riding it back home to CO. I had hoped to find some fun roads along the way, but it was HOT and I have to be at work tomorrow, so I opted for speed over interest and simply sped along I-70.

Meet "Stampy" and see pics here. (Note I'm wearing my Bidart Elefant gathering T-shirt for the occasion!)

The bike rode beautifully, sounds great, looks awesome. I got comments and it got looks at every stop. I just love how much character this beast has, and despite being saddle sore and tired, I'm anxious to get back on and ride some more!

Thanks go to Prodirtdale for going over this bike with such care, and for making the purchase so easy. It was a pleasure!
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #1443
Adventure Kitty
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl
Meet "Stampy" and see pics here. (Note I'm wearing my Bidart Elefant gathering T-shirt for the occasion!)
Stampy is a very nice name! That was a very nice aventure!

One of mine is Lumpy and the other is Baby Lump.

This is Lumpy.

This is Baby Lump

Be sure to give Stampy a good bath and don't make her stay alone for very long. Heffalumps are social creatures and like attention. That's why mine live in the house!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #1444
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Adventure Kitty,

I like Lumpy and Baby Lump. They are very nice!

Stampy had his bath this morning, and he'll be coming to the house soon. I have to find someone to adopt a Virago so Stampy can have a spot in the house!

Stampy says hi to your Heffalumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Kitty
Stampy is a very nice name! That was a very nice aventure!

One of mine is Lumpy and the other is Baby Lump.

Be sure to give Stampy a good bath and don't make her stay alone for very long. Heffalumps are social creatures and like attention. That's why mine live in the house!
Loki - '76 7KCAB (three-wheeler of sorts)
Old 07-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #1445
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
It may not be much in the way of a ride report, given the road I traveled, but it's pretty special to me. I just returned from picking up my new wheels, a 1995 Elefant .

Very cool. You must also be a Simpsons fan; since you beat me I now have to think of a name other than "Stampy" for mine.

I hope I'm so lucky to only get a warning if stopped going through CO in September.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #1446
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,598
Welcome Stampy (and flygirl) to the herd.

Great pix - looks like you found at least one place to open Stampy up and not heed the law.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #1447
flygirl
n00bius maximus

LOL... well, let's just say it's a good thing nobody stopped me in KS. Doubt I'd have gotten away with just a warning!

Have I mentioned I love this bike???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
Welcome Stampy (and flygirl) to the herd.

Great pix - looks like you found at least one place to open Stampy up and not heed the law.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1448
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,947
Quote:
LOL... well, let's just say it's a good thing nobody stopped me in KS. Doubt I'd have gotten away with just a warning!
I have a picture just like that from Colorado last year. Love riding in Colorado but there are just too damn many of these for my taste:

As far as being saddle sore, it looks like you've got the Corbin seat. That should be fairly comfortable but they are hard. Ride the pegs a bit more and you'll never get saddle sore again.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #1449
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
I have a picture just like that from Colorado last year. Love riding in Colorado but there are just too damn many of these for my taste:
Yeah, what's up with your speed limits there? Hwy 550 between Ouray and Silverton has a painfully slow speed limit. I was warned about how treacherous that road was. What a joke. I don't think I could have spilled a cup of coffee in my motorhome at the posted speed.

I understand 'tourist dollars' but you're supposed to voluntarily leave your money.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #1450
flygirl
n00bius maximus

RonS,

Funny story about the Corbin... I was trying to decide whether to ride with that or the stock seat all the way back, and while changing them out, the latch release cable broke, so I was stuck with the stock seat for the ride. I don't find it too uncomfortable, but an 11-hour day gets old even in an overstuffed armchair .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS

As far as being saddle sore, it looks like you've got the Corbin seat. That should be fairly comfortable but they are hard. Ride the pegs a bit more and you'll never get saddle sore again.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #1451
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,947
Quote:
RonS,

Funny story about the Corbin... I was trying to decide whether to ride with that or the stock seat all the way back, and while changing them out, the latch release cable broke, so I was stuck with the stock seat for the ride.
Ouch! I think straddling a balance beam all day would be more comfortable than the stock seat. Those things are bricks.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #1452
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
RonS,

Funny story about the Corbin... I was trying to decide whether to ride with that or the stock seat all the way back, and while changing them out, the latch release cable broke, so I was stuck with the stock seat for the ride. I don't find it too uncomfortable, but an 11-hour day gets old even in an overstuffed armchair .
I broke the latch at the end of the cable. It took me 4 weeks and 3 tries to make a replacement out of a old knee slider. Riding with a unlatched seat was kinda fun... the Corbins are great.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #1453
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Talking Heffalump adventures in Europe - Part I

It's time to post my trip report of my first real ride on an Elefant, not counting a short practice run or two on a friend's. I'll (try to) include a select few pics here, and you can see the whole trip here.

I left CO for Paris, France on June 21, via Chicago...
From JourneyToElef...
With the new baggage limitations, it was certainly interesting packing my riding gear, camping gear, and two weeks' worth of very pared down clothing. Managed it, and despite United Airlines' now signature delays, also made my (very tight) connection

I dragged, shoved, lugged, and heaved my luggage from Chucky D. airport to Montmartre, where the fellow renting me the 900 Elefant lives. I arrived an utter sweaty, panting mess to find nobody home. An elderly neighbor kindly let me leave my bags with her while I went to find some sustenance.

Turns out a soda across from the Moulin Rouge will cost ya nearly eight Euros. Wow. And I even speak the language fluently, can't imagine what they do to real tourists!

I went back to the apartment, and Renaud and his wife Aline were back from getting groceries. We made smalltalk, then delved into the particulars of the bike rental. Renaud wanted to check me out on the bike, which involved me taking him as my first ever passenger on a motorcycle, through the narrow cobblestone streets and insane traffic of Paris, to a relatively quieter area to practice some basics. I don't think I impressed him at all.

Fortunately, he still let me take the bike.

So the next morning, I bought a prepaid cell phone in case of emergencies, and departed Paris (thanking deities, stars and demigods for my GPS)...
From JourneyToElef...

Go to Part II here

flygirl screwed with this post 09-16-2008 at 02:10 PM
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #1454
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Well.... I am not sure it's the same. At least to me the issues with buying an Elefant (or Gran Canyon for that matter) were not the same as when considering a Transalp or TDM. The fear of being left with an "orphan" bike with the Italian bikes was real, and as it turned out, pretty well justified. It's not just that that specific model isn't imported anymore, the whole dealer network was (in some cases still is) non-existant.

Sure, some parts are interchangeable with Ducatis, but not all are, and until you had the list figured out, it was hard to find the right parts. Not to mention that if you needed soemthing that was bike specific, you were SOL, even if your buddy Luca was willing to comb the Italian countryside for those parts. And that's a real shame, because these were some of the best Adventure Touring bikes around at the time. Heck, I know a nicely modified Elefant 900 that would give a run for it's money to many of the newer bikes.

Just need to remember to check the oil more often than on a V-Strom...

Gustavo
Mine looked just like that! A '94.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #1455
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
It's time to post my trip report of my first real ride on an Elefant,
Awesome photos. I have to ask though: how did you end up flying all the way to France to take part in a rally for a motorcycle you didn't even own (and I assume, knew little about)? And after seeing so many Elefants laying on their side, why did you still buy one? You sat on the Multistrada. Was Pierre Terblanche's 'goiter styling' too much for you too?

Adventure Kitty is sitting here wanting to look at the pictures of the horses and the donkey again.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote