User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Chain Gun OP
2nd Time 'Round

Oddometer: 100
Honda Trail 90's, Cub's and Elite's

This week I got to to do some work at the shipyard in Avondale, Louisiana operated by Northrup Grumman. What surprised me was all of the Honda Trail 90's, Cub's and Elites that were in use.

I asked one of the guys I was working with about the Trail 90 he was riding. He told me he got it new in 1980. The odometer read almost 24,000 miles. It had some rust on the exhaust and some pieces were missing and he didn't know when the last time the oil was changed, but it would start with one kick. He said the Elites were not as good as the Trail 90's or Cubs. As a side note, all of these bikes had weathered Hurricane Katrina.

The other thing that surprised me was the fact that here was a U.S. company that was allowing the use of motorcycles to accomplish daily tasks. As big and as busy as the ship yard is, I cannot think of a more economical and efficient way to move a person from point A to point B.

I don't know what type of training was required to ride at the ship yard, but
everyone who was riding was wearing a helmet and appeared to be riding safely. I relize that my observations over just three days doesn't mean much, but in this day and age of litigation if there were any real problems the use of motorcycles would have been stopped a long time ago.

I apologize for not having any pictures, but being that they were working on U.S. Navy ships, cameras were not allowed.

It was great to see the old stuff still working in such numbers on a daily basis. In this day of advanced electronics, I still wish all bikes came with "KICK STARTERS." (just in case!)