User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
dsmith4243 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bmw R1200c Engine Trouble

Hello, this is my first post. I was riding Sunday night, and I hit an unseen pothole pretty hard. After I hit it, I tried to rev the engine and nothing. I put in the clutch and then she almost immediately died. I turned it off and tried to start it again, and it started and then instantly died again. I checked some stuff today, I have spark to both cylinders, my fuel pump is still making noise when preparing to start, and I removed one of the fuel lines and it had good flow coming from it. I'm not sure how to proceed from here, and would really love it if I could avoid taking it to someone. Wondering if you guys had any suggestions for me!
dsmith4243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
That could be a tough one... so I'll just throw out a few random ideas.

Is it running on both cylinders?

If not, things to check are for something out of place (possibly knocked loose during the harsh pothole hit). Vacuum leaks, intake leaks, throttle body sync, oxygen sensors in the headers, loose injectors, loose coils, etc. etc. etc.

If both cylinders are doing the same, find someone who can hook up a computer and read the codes. That could be hard to do... check Chromeheads.org... maybe someone near you can help.

I've also had spark plugs crack... can be hard to see if the crack is in the lower ceramic, but that allows it to arc in places other than the top.

Pull the seat and check all the connections to the computer / battery. It may be something as simple as a loose plug.

Check fuse panel (maybe even just replace all the fuses, they are cheap)... I've had a fuse with a hair-line crack cause me to loose a lot of hair before.

Wish I had a better idea to help... I'm kind-a just throwing random stuff out.

Good luck. I hope you find it without having to pay a mechanic tons of dough.
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,792
The side stand switch, perhaps. If the switch is telling the bike that the stand is down it won't run in gear.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Too late

CajunRider & Anorak just itemized every contribution I was about to make. I'm out of here.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,319
The C model has only one throttle body, check to see if it has come loose and has a air leak.

This has happened more than once on these models, most commonly with the "C" models.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote