Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
2 years into riding. I'm conflicted as to what I want

~~
In a perfect world, I'd have 2 or 3 bikes. I have no garage, and barely anything you'd call a toolbox.

Here's the jist:

First bike, CBR250R. 2nd Bike: Gladius.

What I've learned since riding those two bikes as far as what I want:

All day comfort: The CBR sucked. Seat sucked (even after a Saddlemen), buzzy in the power band. Good learner bike. The Gladius could go about an hour. Two with an Airhawk, but the windblast got to my neck after that. Powerband was perfect, but couldn't handle freeway windblast for very long. Too jerky on the throttle/engine breaking.

Drive Train: I don't want to screw with the constant attention a chain requires. 500 miles, lube. 1k, clean and lube; adjust slack. Just don't care. Want to service a bike every oil change, and not worry about shit until the next one.

So here's the back and forth I've going through. I like sporty bikes with good handling and lean. But I want all day comfort and low maintenance. Basically, I have chain driven, middle weight sport standards/ADV bikes on one hand, and not horrible cruiser style bikes on the other.

Sport Tourers you say? Most are too expensive, too tall, and too damn heavy. The FJR works pretty good, but finding a good condition one for 6k or less isn't happening in my region. Not sure I want to deal with the weight on a day to day basis anyway.

So here we have it: There are no middle weight sport/adv bikes w/o a chain other than the F800ST and maybe the NT700V. I'll only buy big 4 jap bikes due to dealer network (yes, I've looked at harley's), and the NT seems to be holding it's value WAY more than you'd think it should in my region.

So, at the moment, I'm looking at a Vulcan 900 classic. How I wish the big 4 made a mid control cruiser outside of the Shadow RS. Why did they decide to put a chain on that bike anyway?

Not sure how I'd feel on a bike like the Vulcan, it has floorboards but isn't crazy forward, but you folks here on ADVrider are the shit and I'm sure some of you have maybe come up from similar situations and could throw some insight to me. Probably buy a bullet for summer and definitely pick up some hard bags with my tax returns. New 2013 leftover for 6k and comes with a Batwing fairing.

As much as I like tossing around my Gladius at will, a good 85%+ of my riding in this region is straight-line, 55+ MPH roads.

Wish I could rent all the bikes in the world to try them out!
~~
2012 Genuine Blur SS220i (Retired)

Soulbreeze screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 11:51 AM
Soulbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
~~

Wish I could rent all the bikes in the world to try them out!
~~
That's why companies do demo days.

What kind of body type are you? Tall? Thin? Short? Fat? Muscular?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,512
The Guzzi V7 has a shaft drive and I personally ride a Yamaha Bolt with a belt drive.

My previous bikes were a 919 and EX500. The Bolt has the most comfortable riding position. It's sporty, but you're somewhat limited with lean angle. The upgraded shocks which cost me $180 gave me more lean angle and more comfort.

It's a great all rounder bike and can be modified to suit your needs.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
That's why companies do demo days.

What kind of body type are you? Tall? Thin? Short? Fat? Muscular?
Never heard of any demo days around here. Maybe in Chicago? I'm pretty antisocial so I'd probably be too nervous to ride a bike. I'd like to try one, but I don't even know how to find out about those demo things.

And I'm 5'6", 175 pounds, 29-30" inseam. So a bit short, slight stocky, bit of a beer belly but not fat otherwise. Got big legs from soccer and skateboarding heh.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
MGN54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
You mentioned Harley and $6k in your post. Have you given thought to a Dyna Superglide. Seen some preowned ones going for around that here in my area. Mid controls. Very low maintenance with belt drive and no valves to adjust. Plethora of seats, windshields and luggage to make the bike as you want it. If you take your time and buy right, you'll have a bike that should keep it's value for a good while. Just a thought.
MGN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
The Guzzi V7 has a shaft drive and I personally ride a Yamaha Bolt with a belt drive.

My previous bikes were a 919 and EX500. The Bolt has the most comfortable riding position. It's sporty, but you're somewhat limited with lean angle. The upgraded shocks which cost me $180 gave me more lean angle and more comfort.

It's a great all rounder bike and can be modified to suit your needs.
I actually looked at the bolt, but couldn't find much besides new ones around here for 8K+. Was kinda surprised I didn't see more used ones. Wasn't really sure if the Bolt was what I wanted to ride for hours on end either really.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
Drive Train: I don't want to screw with the constant attention a chain requires. 500 miles, lube. 1k, clean and lube; adjust slack. Just don't care. Want to service a bike every oil change, and not worry about shit until the next one.
Stop doing so much chain maintenance. Plenty of folks get 5-digit mileage out of a drive set without any more than an adjustment every few thousand miles as needed.

Any decent chains are internally lubricated, have hardened contact points, and are rated for waaaaaay more load than they'll ever see in a motorcycle application. Don't worry about it. It doesn't look like you're pursuing real powerhouse bikes so there's really no reason for this to be a factor; much less require constant attention.

I'd recommend you stick with steel sprockets, essentially ignore chain maintenance, play with the seat/ergos of your Gladius, and experiment with adding a windshield of some sort.
gmiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN54 View Post
You mentioned Harley and $6k in your post. Have you given thought to a Dyna Superglide. Seen some preowned ones going for around that here in my area. Mid controls. Very low maintenance with belt drive and no valves to adjust. Plethora of seats, windshields and luggage to make the bike as you want it. If you take your time and buy right, you'll have a bike that should keep it's value for a good while. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't touch a traditional Harley. The nearest dealer is almost as far as the nearest BMW dealer and I have not heard about good experiences from either.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Assuming you don't already have one, perhaps getting a center stand or a swing arm stand would make chain maintenance a lot less of an issue for you.

That and a simple wind screen (again, assuming you don't already have one) could make the Galdius work better for you.

Honestly I used to be a stickler for shaft drive bikes, but with teflon chain lube and either a center stand or a swing arm stand, its not much of an issue any more.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
Stop doing so much chain maintenance. Plenty of folks get 5-digit mileage out of a drive set without any more than an adjustment every few thousand miles as needed.

Any decent chains are internally lubricated, have hardened contact points, and are rated for waaaaaay more load than they'll ever see in a motorcycle application. Don't worry about it. It doesn't look like you're pursuing real powerhouse bikes so there's really no reason for this to be a factor; much less require constant attention.

I'd recommend you stick with steel sprockets, essentially ignore chain maintenance, play with the seat/ergos of your Gladius, and experiment with adding a windshield of some sort.
Well, my last chain lasted 4k miles. My sprockets didn't look bad at all so I just replaced the chain. Hardly stretched in the first 2k when I had it adjusted. 2k later my chain and sprockets were both fucked and had to drop 300+ on another chain, sprockets, and installation. That may have been been a misjudgement on my sprockets, but it doesn't matter, I don't want to deal with it again.

The windshield thing is a bitch too. It's just so personal. I bought one for my bike and it was horrible.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
MGN54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
You won't need the dealer. Find a good independent mechanic in your area and you're good to go. OEM parts and accessories can be ordered online if needed. Were you referring to a Harley Night Train (NT) in your post?
MGN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Maxi scooter. 400+ CC

I particularly dig the Yamaha Tmax

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 12:32 PM
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #13
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Assuming you don't already have one, perhaps getting a center stand or a swing arm stand would make chain maintenance a lot less of an issue for you.

That and a simple wind screen (again, assuming you don't already have one) could make the Galdius work better for you.

Honestly I used to be a stickler for shaft drive bikes, but with teflon chain lube and either a center stand or a swing arm stand, its not much of an issue any more.
Yeah, was using Maxima before I got my scotoiler, which hasn't worked as well as I thought it would so far.

Center stand would be nice. I told myself I'd only buy another chain drive bike if it had an available or standard centerstand. As a matter of fact, there's a left over FZ6R I've been considering that is crazy, CRAZY cheap (5300 brand new w/ warranty!) and I can get a center stand for that. Would have to spend about a grand on bag/shield/heated grips, but could make a great light ST bike.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Soulbreeze OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN54 View Post
You won't need the dealer. Find a good independent mechanic in your area and you're good to go. OEM parts and accessories can be ordered online if needed. Were you referring to a Harley Night Train (NT) in your post?
Wasn't referring to any one in particular, but I do like the Bob's and the 1200 sportster as well.

Kinda surprised at the responses actually. I thought someone would chime in about the Vulcan or maybe tell me a past feeling of going from a more performance oriented bike to a cruiser.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,213
So you want:
-Inexpensive
-Low to ground
-Japanese
-Non chain drive

The Suzuki Savage/L40 is belt drive and can be had super cheap.

It's not a very good bike, but if 85% of your riding is just punching a straight-line hole in the air then it probably doesn't matter much.

If nothing else, it may be a good low-cost way to evaluate how you feel going from a econo-standard to a krap-e-kruiser before you take the plunge on something more expensive.
gmiguy is online now   Reply With Quote