Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
scottzilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Tuono vs FZ9??

Am I nuts?
As i've gotten older i've outgrown the full fledged sport bike thing but appreciate the sporting side of riding. I love the concept of the naked sportbike; bring the bars up, the pegs down and give me a comfty seat.
I went from a Buell CityX to an '07 Speed Triple to an '07 Tuono. By definition the Tuono should be exactly what I want: A naked Sport bike.
Mine has been reliable and fun to ride. The "Character" gets old though. The fueling is rough, it's a hard bike to ride slow.
I've almost bit the bullet in the past on some Japanese nakeds but they all are a bit too watered down for my liking. The MFG's seem to make them soft.

I really like the FZ9 and the reviews are good. People say great things about the engine and of course, the low price but apparently the suspension sucks and the FZ1 fueling gremlins have made their way over to this bike too..
Am I nuts for even considering this bike vs my Tuono?
How much "Sport" will I be giving up with the FZ9?
scottzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I have a 2007 Tuono and had a well appointed and sorted FZ-09 (as well as an FJ-09). If you have only one bike the FZ-09 or FJ-09 might be the better choice. For an all around bike the FJ is the best choice. That being said, I really like the Tuono and love the visceral feedback it provides.

Total power is similar between the two but the Tuono does offer more torque on the lower end of the power band. The FZ needs suspension work out of the box while the Tuono is ok as is. You won't be giving up much "sport" going with the FZ but you will be giving up the sexy Italian for the girl next door.

I sold the FZ-09 but it will be tough for me to ever sell the Tuono.

bmac screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 02:58 PM
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,113
Why don't you just get a power commander and have the fueling done?

A lot of older big twins are lean as hell to pass emissions (Ducati, Apprilla, and to a lesser extent BMW all have had issues with this). That causes a fair bit of snatch at low RPM which is annoying with an I-4 its a beast with a bigger sporting twin.

Hell just slap a PCV and auto-tuner.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Or you could get a new Tuono. My understanding (not from personal experience) is that the current Tuono is pretty well sorted all the way around. And very, very fast.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
Or you could get a new Tuono. My understanding (not from personal experience) is that the current Tuono is pretty well sorted all the way around. And very, very fast.
As long as you don't want to go more than a 100 miles between fills sure.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I had a 2007 Tuono (with Power Commander and Arrow exhaust done by the PO) and I've had a chance to take the FZ09 for a couple laps around the track. In my mind, it's not even close, the Tuono is by far the superior bike. The handling, the motor, the components, the appearance (subjective, I know) are far, far superior. Fwiw, the fueling on my bike was as good as any I've ever experienced, and I got 120-135 miles to a tank pretty comfortably.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
fast4d
Banned

Oddometer: 2,481
two minutes connected to the axoine (sp?) machine and mapping can be fixed and TB balanced (unless it is really out of wack).

2nd gen tuono issues are hydro clutch, rear brake bleed and alternator on bikes > 25k

all documented. easy if you are mech handy.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
curtis6870
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Yes you are nuts.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
scottzilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah, thanks for the replies.
I suppose I misrepresented my bike a little;the fueling is not terrible. It just has a stumble in the rpm's that can get annoying at in- town speeds.
Bike likes to be revved.

Love the V4 Tuono. . running aprox 10k for a 2012-2013.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
quasigentrified
Ape Trumpet

Oddometer: 867
running 15t in the front sprocket cleaned up ALL the low speed issues with my '14 tuono. the stock fz-09 feels really sketchy in comparison.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 09:24 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 AM   #11
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,279
Sounds like you just want a new bike. Nothing wrong with that of course, but a gen 2 Tuono is a great bike.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
scottzilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
running 15t in the front sprocket cleaned up ALL the low speed issues with my '14 tuono. the stock fz-09 feels really sketchy in comparison.

I changed to the 15T front sprocket as well. It wasn't the miracle worker I was led to believe it would be. It makes it easier to hit 6th on the hwy but that's about it for me.