Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #376
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
That's pretty normal; it will feel really gutless compared to anything faster. But ride nothing but the 250 for a week or so and it will feel normal. Switching between my VFR and 250, the lil' bike feels broken every time I pull away on it for the first time but the "expectation" memory quickly returns.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #377
LCGarage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
waste oil run

...even use it to bring 2-3gal of waste oil to the reclaim center.
At 1.5qts, it's not the one generating much waste...makes for a quick oil change/fill too.
Love that thing!

LCGarage screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 01:40 AM
LCGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #378
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
I rode up to Tawas City today with my buddy. 140 miles round trip.

I love this bike.
mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #379
Guevara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I just sold my Aprilia Tuono, to buy a kawasaki Versys (for touring and longer distances 2up), and the 2009 ninja 250r to mess around on, and take to the occasional track day. You would think that riding bigger supersports for so many years, and coming off such a beast of a machine, the 250r would be boring...BUT MAN IS IT FUN. You get to ride the thing like youre in motoGP ALL THE TIME, and avoid many tickets since youre not really going as fast as you think you are. It did feel weird at first, but once you realize the bike needs to be revved high, REALLY high,it opens up a whole new dimension. I will be hanging on to this bike for as long as I can.
Guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #380
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I really like my '00 Ninja 250, but OMFG I hate the seat !!!

The stock seat is a strangulator of one's naughty bits. 20 miles and my junk was cryin for mercy ! I put a corbin seat on it (which is very comfy for the butt) and the boys can hold out for about 45 min before they're screamin in pain. Someone needs to make a flat dirtbike style seat for this thing or get rid of the upward rise in the front.

BTW the Corbin puts your butt about 2" lower to the ground and slightly reduces legroom. It doesn't allow much rearward movement tho.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #381
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
The seat on my wifes '10 isn't very good but I can ride for a good 45 minutes before I start to get sore. I had thought about getting a new seat for it (Corbin) but I want to see how long she wants to keep it before I do that. If she is ready to upgrade by next summer then I don't want to have spent $$ on stuff that isn't going to increase the value on resale. So far, she hasn't complained about the seat yet, but it's rock hard compared to the seat on my FZ6 for sure.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #382
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6
The seat on my wifes '10 isn't very good but I can ride for a good 45 minutes before I start to get sore. I had thought about getting a new seat for it (Corbin) but I want to see how long she wants to keep it before I do that. If she is ready to upgrade by next summer then I don't want to have spent $$ on stuff that isn't going to increase the value on resale. So far, she hasn't complained about the seat yet, but it's rock hard compared to the seat on my FZ6 for sure.
Butt soreness isn't the issue for me. It's the other stuff down there that has me singin soprano after a few minutes.

You don't have to worry too much about lost resale value w/ the corbin. It won't increase the bike's total value much, but you can put the stock seat back on and resell the corbin by itself for 75% of what you paid, so it's not a huge money pit if it makes the bike more comfy. My 2000 only cost me a grand so I figured another $300 for a Corbin wasn't far out of line. I'm definitely going to make a flatter taller non-nutbustin seat or have one made-up for me somewhere. Until then, it's the Corbin and short trips for my Ninjette.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #383
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
The stock seat is a strangulator of one's naughty bits.
I've never been able to figure this out (seriously, I have NEVER had that kind of issue on any bike, pillion behind me w/ hard braking and all). Are you by chance limited in stature? You know, height challenged.. Or maybe a smaller guy (like, thighs small around)?

I've done 4 tanks in a day, getting off and resting for 30 minutes when fueling up to give the knees and butt a rest, but I'm also 6'4", 250lbs and have to buy "relaxed" fit jeans to get over my damn thighs (guess I should stop with the squats/dead-lifts already).
Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #384
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
im thinking about taking the "new" 05 I just bought for a 1000 mile round trip down to Arkansas in a few weeks, hope I dont break down. Havent been on a carb bike in years and I left the fuel petcock on reserve accidently. When that runs out you are standing by the side of the road waiting for wife with gas can, ie last night!
firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #385
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,301
I think its pretty cool Kawasaki wants to poll its customers on what to do with the next ninja 250.

I sorta thought that they had it sorted out with the exception of F.I. and this poll should actually be to decide what to do with the ninja 500.

http://www.kawasaki-research.com/ninja250

I said it should be a ninja 375 triple in the comments section but in the other section i gave highest marks for the idea of a 350 ninja with fuel injection..
with a msrp of $4499

edit: the worst idea in the poll was text messaging built into the dash.
edit edit: sorry the link was not a open invite but a targeted polling operation..

andruboz screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 04:20 PM
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #386
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
That's pretty normal; it will feel really gutless compared to anything faster. But ride nothing but the 250 for a week or so and it will feel normal. Switching between my VFR and 250, the lil' bike feels broken every time I pull away on it for the first time but the "expectation" memory quickly returns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guevara
You would think that riding bigger supersports for so many years, and coming off such a beast of a machine, the 250r would be boring...BUT MAN IS IT FUN. You get to ride the thing like youre in motoGP ALL THE TIME, and avoid many tickets since youre not really going as fast as you think you are. It did feel weird at first, but once you realize the bike needs to be revved high, REALLY high,it opens up a whole new dimension. I will be hanging on to this bike for as long as I can.
I have had the same experience. Have an '09 Concours and a little Duc Monster in the garage, but a ride on the 250R makes me feel like an amateur version of Bradley Smith. That is FUN!!!
But recently our "little girl" (22 y.o. daughter- 250R pilot) fell in love with an '02 ZX6R and the 1/4 litre Ninja is gone, traded in. Fortunately the "new" 600 is a faster lightweight, but Jen is LOVING it.
I do like smaller bikes.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #387
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M
I've never been able to figure this out (seriously, I have NEVER had that kind of issue on any bike, pillion behind me w/ hard braking and all). Are you by chance limited in stature? You know, height challenged.. Or maybe a smaller guy (like, thighs small around)?

I've done 4 tanks in a day, getting off and resting for 30 minutes when fueling up to give the knees and butt a rest, but I'm also 6'4", 250lbs and have to buy "relaxed" fit jeans to get over my damn thighs (guess I should stop with the squats/dead-lifts already).
Nope. 5'10 205ish pounds slightly thicker than avg thighs, relaxed fit jeans, although I've tried other pants & jeans brands and experienced the same pain. It probably depends on how and where yer junk's aligned and how much your butt and thighs fill out the pants... But the seat shape seems to grip my pants and pull them to the rear and upward. This plus the seat's upward rise toward the front amounts to the strangulation. I have a bunch of bikes and only experience the issue really badly on the Ninja. It's not as bad w/ the corbin, but it's still goin on.

It happens to a far far lesser extent on my DR650 which also has a seat w/ downward slope in the rear and upward in the front.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #388
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6
I actually love the seat on my 2009 250R and have done about 150 miles in a day on it and not felt a thing. The seat on my WR250X, on the other hand, is killing me after about 90 miles.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #389
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

The '09 appears to have a flatter seat w/ a little less U-shape to it. I'm thinking it's the U-shape on my 2000 that gets to me, and maybe the rounded sides also focuses pressure against my 's

I'll figure something out. I really enjoy the bike otherwise. I honestly think the Ninja250 is a bit over-rated as a beginner bike and seriously under-rated as a bike for those w/ more experience. The shreik of that motor at 14Krpm puts a grin on my face every time!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #390
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
My 2010 seat is stiff and flat - I just stuck a Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad on mine and now I can sit on it for a full tank of fuel before my rear hurts.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote