Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #1066
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post

Well, the 15t doesn't exactly speed it up
It's not faster but I'm in first and second gear a lot longer now which makes the bike feel like it pulls better.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #1067
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Don't know what year you have, but the older 250's had the speedometer/odometer drive off the front wheel so the sprocket size(s) has no effect on accuracy. Maybe the newer 250's (2009 & up?, whenever they changed) are different.
The 2008+ bikes have the same setup with the speedo cable run off of the front wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
No. They're driven off the same gear - so there is one single input. Unless the designer specifically designs in a calculated overage or underage in the last speedo gear, they're going to be 1:1.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens. The speedo is over by 10% or so, while the odometer is much closer to accurate (based on GPS or mile markers, take your pick). This isn't a mystery though, it's done intentionally. The speedo can't under report the speed without significant consequences, both legal and practical. It is set that way so no matter what size tire is slapped on the front of the bike (or on other motorcyles, what gearing changes are made), it's extremely unlikely for the bike to ever be traveling faster than the speedometer reads. On the odometer side, those are pegged much closer to accurate out of the box, because there is no advantage to anybody to over-report mileage. If you run a speedohealer to get the speedometer to read correctly, the odometer will read low.
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #1068
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
It's when the valve are quiet that you need to check, loud valves are healthy valves.

Tight vlaves are quiet... which usually lead to overheating.
When I had my KLR that I bought new in 2007. The shim under bucket valves were referred to as "Slappy valves are happy valves." In relationship to the same situations referred to here. Overheating, burnt valve or valves and burnt valve seats.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1069
facetjoint
TONKA

Sliders

Tell me about frame sliders. I'm looking for function over form. The most bang for the buck that offer the most protection for both bike and rider. I'm new to this Ninja 250 thing, and don't even have one yet.

Thanks Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #1070
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
Tell me about frame sliders. I'm looking for function over form. The most bang for the buck that offer the most protection for both bike and rider. I'm new to this Ninja 250 thing, and don't even have one yet.
Bill,

No one ever came out with sensible frame sliders for the '86-'08 models. The few that were (custom) made may have helped prevent damage to the fairings, but would direct damaging forces against the frame itself.

Totally different story with the 2008 and later bikes, as there are frame sliders which protect the fairings, appear to apply forces non-destructively to the frame (very different frame design). At least one model does not even require any cutting of the fairings, as they mount through a hole in the fairing that is already there. I am hoping that someone more familiar with the new gen will chime in here.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1071
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Bill,

Shogun and T-Rex frame sliders get the best reviews from ninjette owners. There is a nice writeup with photos and a DIY on the T-Rex sliders on Ninjette.org here. There is also a nice wiki entry on frame sliders on the same site that discusses the various types with pros/cons. Key message is to be careful what you buy - lots of stuff out there may protect your fairings at risk to your engine or frame. Better to stick to main brands with strong reputation.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1072
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Info on framesliders for the 2008+ models:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Frame_sliders

edit: Hi Floyd! :)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #1073
facetjoint
TONKA

So there is no easy plug and play sliders that will in effect do an all around job of protecting the Tupperware and the bikes innards and skeleton. Glad I asked!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1074
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Just thought I'd share an image from a 300+-mile ride last week... I've obviously done some carburetor, exhaust, and luggage mods/farkles, but after I got home I ordered a Corbin seat. For a while I thought my bike was headed in a "racy" direction, now I'm making changes more towards touring, and step 1 involves my ass hurting less.

Anyway, I've had this lady for two years and I really don't have a compelling reason to "upgrade" just yet.

The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1075
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Side shots / more shots of the bike are a must post.

Also some in depth shots of how you have the V35's mounted or I will come to your house and eat your dog.

I thought about getting the SW Motech rack and welding some mounts to that but I'd like to see how others have done it. I've found some guys on a german site and a spanish site, but not many guys running V35's in the states.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1077
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Much appreciated. Especially the one about getting the Givi rack out of Thailand.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1078
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Much appreciated. Especially the one about getting the Givi rack out of Thailand.
That's my bike in those threads.
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #1079
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Small world. Howdy!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #1080
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Man I need a couple walk throughs like that pertaining to the new cbr250r.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote