Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #1096
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Rider View Post
I just rode with it for the first time yesterday. It's... Interesting. The vibration, pressure points, the inconsistent cheap feel, and general discomforts of the stock seat are gone, which alone are worth the cost of admission for me. The pan shape is an exact fit for my "plus sized" posterior and it's less of an effort to grip with the knees. The seat also somehow forces my posture upright and more forward towards the tank a bit, but in a consistent way, as if there's only one way it can be sat on. I like how it forces me into a consistent position, I just would prefer to be a little more tucked.

Strangely, it's very slick compared to stock; I was worried that the grip panels on the butt of my Teiz Power Shell suit would rough up the leather somehow, but while on the stock seat I was locked in place, on the Corbin the Power Shell isn't sticky at all.

Weather is forecast to be nice this weekend, so I'll hopefully squeeze in a 300+ mile ride for a distance test.
Good info. Thanks as well for the report. If you get to do the 300 mile butt time this week end, tell us how how that works as well please! Is Corbin the only game in town for a custom seat for the bike? Our is there others as well? I did not do a search as I'm thinking the wisdom is here readily available for my lazy carcass!!

IMHO Corbin pretty well ranks bottoms on the list in customer service if you have issues or want modifications to one of their products.

Thanks
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #1097
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
question for owners of the newest model, '08(?) and newer.

I don't have one but my nephew has one and while helping him change his tires, I noticed the bike started to cry. Yep, on and off, it would make a cry/weep/moaning noise from the gas tank. Open the gas cap and it stops. Maybe the baby Ninja needed to be burped?

Anyway, It seems like the tank is not venting correctly and he said there is a pretty involved mod to do to get it to stop. The bike also runs pretty sluggish. He had the valves checked, thinking that was the problem but that wasn't it.

Any suggestions? I know, they all do that... But I am pretty sure that it doesn't have to.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1098
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

I don't have one but my nephew has one and while helping him change his tires, I noticed the bike started to cry. Yep, on and off, it would make a cry/weep/moaning noise from the gas tank. Open the gas cap and it stops. Maybe the baby Ninja needed to be burped?

Anyway, It seems like the tank is not venting correctly and he said there is a pretty involved mod to do to get it to stop. The bike also runs pretty sluggish. He had the valves checked, thinking that was the problem but that wasn't it.

Any suggestions? I know, they all do that... But I am pretty sure that it doesn't have to.

Completely normal and the tank IS venting properly. If it ain't broke...

As for the sluggish running, could be lots of things -- most likely somebody is not revving the nuts off of it () or the carbs are dirty (common).

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #1099
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Completely normal and the tank IS venting properly. If it ain't broke...

As for the sluggish running, could be lots of things -- most likely somebody is not revving the nuts off of it () or the carbs are dirty (common).
well, he heard of a fix so I figured someone else also thought it was broken...

Will check the carbs. it is idling about 11-1200 rpms and if you give it half throttle, in neutral, it will bog and die. at about 2000 it will bog and might die, over 2500 it bogs but will rev up.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #1100
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:

Will check the carbs. it is idling about 11-1200 rpms and if you give it half throttle, in neutral, it will bog and die. at about 2000 it will bog and might die, over 2500 it bogs but will rev up.

Definitely dirty carbs. Classic symptom of a clogged pilot jet.

The carbs on these bikes are tiny and so are the passageways. They are more prone to gumming up while sitting than ANY bike I've ever experienced. If it isn't being ridden a good distance at least every couple of weeks, it's best to keep some stabilizer in the fuel, and if it sits more than that, drain the carbs.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #1101
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
AUGH! Stock Dunrocks! How are you still alive?
The PO had just replaced the stock set with a NEW set of the damn things when I bought the bike!

I figure in a year's time I'll need new tires anyway so... (If I live that long anyway )

Makes me wonder how I made a 300mile round trip to St Augustine a week after I bought it and came back alive Talk about a real adventure...
Photobucket

And no, I did not lay the bike down on the beach.

-Jake
Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1102
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Definitely dirty carbs. Classic symptom of a clogged pilot jet.

The carbs on these bikes are tiny and so are the passageways. They are more prone to gumming up while sitting than ANY bike I've ever experienced. If it isn't being ridden a good distance at least every couple of weeks, it's best to keep some stabilizer in the fuel, and if it sits more than that, drain the carbs.
I will let you all know when it is purring smoothly again.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #1103
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

The tank vent whines. It's not a bug, it's a feature. I worry when I don't hear that noise for a while; the vent could be clogged, there might be dirt around the gas cap/bad seal when closing, any number of things. The "fix" involves disassembly and drilling of the rather complicated and expensive gas cap assembly, if I remember right... Not worth it just to fix a noise, IMO. I just think of it as a personality quirk.

The cure for the sluggish running is to throw a can of Seafoam in the tank and run the crap out of the bike. The pilot jets are tiny and gum up easily, especially if the bike has been sitting a while with old gas in the tank. If the bike won't roll at lower RPMs and then suddenly jumps as you add throttle, that's probably the needles lifting out and taking over from the dirty pilot jets (this exact thing happened to me, and it sucked, because it made around-town riding annoying). Spend an afternoon on the highway at high RPM and the problem should go away.

(I put #40 pilot jets in when I worked on my carburetors and I haven't had that problem since, but that's only if you want to get into goofing around with jetting/intake/exhaust mods.)
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #1104
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
It's worthwhile to add some StaBil to every tank of gas these days. I find that ethanol gas deteriorates quickly. Also, need an inline fuel filter. Run some Techron or Gumout through there and see what it does.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #1105
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Rider View Post
The tank vent whines. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
I see, one of those undocumented features? It is a RMR® alarm. (ride me reminder)

100mpg screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 06:19 AM
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #1106
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
OK I had to post here as I just bought a 250 for my gf and I'm quite impressed with this little bike. It's a clean 2003 with 3400 miles on it. It has some crappy Dunlop tires (probably circa 2003 with enough tread to make it to 2015). But I ordered the Pireli MT75s the first night I brought it home. The front forks are worse than the pogo stick so I drained the forks and filled them up with Maxim 20w fork oil- not much improvement that I can tell. They were overfilled approx 9oz each. According to the manual they should be 6oz - no wonder one fork was leaking. However, now it makes sort of a slurpping sound when the forks are compressed as if there's air trapped in the system somewhere. I'll order the Sonic springs soon enough. The brakes too could use better pads and I've always liked the EBC HH Sintered so those will be next. Already changed the engine oil and the spark plugs. It's cold blooded and requires half choke to start and idle on for a while even in the 70-75F weather. Probably gummed up carbs so hopefully a couple of Seafoam applications will do the trick.

Riding impressions: I have to say I'm really smitten by this little 250. I never imagined I'd have so much fun riding a little bike (I'm 6'ft - longer in the legs so it reminds me the Gullivar's Island story). Nonetheless I did about a 100 miles on the freeway when I drove it home and it did OK going 70-75mph (in the 2nd slowest lane here in SoCal). But when I took it to the local curvy road I was smiling under the helmet. Where I'm so cautious with a 760lbs ST1300 I feel like I can really flog this little Ninja around at will. Can't wait to mount the new tires and sign up for the California Superbike school - gf won't approve but what she doesn't know can't hurt her

Oh and for the record, while the newer style (had a '09 Ninja 650R as my 2nd bike and loved it) is of course very sophisticated looking, especially the 600+ Ninjas but I really like the classic style. It has its own character.

1982 NightHawk 450cc - Sold
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #1107
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:

All the new ninjas seem to make noises from the gas tank. No need to worry, unless it bothers you alot. I keep mine in the garage and barely even notice, its one of those quirks that the bike has.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #1108
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Eat your heart out Corbin.

Contact info of maker if anyone wants it:
Terry Adcox
kawasaki37388@yahoo.com
KAWASAKI of TULLAHOMA

A couple years back I found this seat maker on Ebay making custom KLR touring seats. His name is Terry Adcox at KAWASAKI of TULLAHOMA, TN. I emailed him and he did one for me and made a custom back rest for my passenger. Great to work with, great prices and if you can imagine it, he can build it. I've only put a few hundred miles on my Ninja but man 45 minutes and my ass hates me. I had a Corbin on my KLR before I got the custom one and I hated the Corbin so no way I was buying the Corbin. The Saddleman seats looked good but I couldn't find much feedback on them for the Ninja out on the web plus they looked like a slightly tweaked stocker so that wasn't much of an option either. So I emailed Terry and told him I wanted a Day-Long style but for a Ninja 250. I didn't want to do without my seat (he uses the pan) so I picked up a used one on Ebay for $40 with free ship and sent it directly to him. For basically $200 including the shipping back to me, this is what I got. I get it on Tuesday, can't wait to sit on it. I'll send him my rear in a few weeks so it will match and I'll probably have him tweak it a little for passenger comfort. The photo doesn't show the dept of the bucket (to keep me from sliding my wedding vegtables into the tank all the time) or how much was added to to sides, should be like riding a Ninjette sofa!

doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #1109
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
That is a NICE looking seat. And the money is well with in reason as well. I am going to have keep this info. handy. I inherited a Corbin with the R1100RT that I bought a year ago. It is harder than Chinese Arithmetic as you stated about your KLR Corbin. And I even have a long hair sheep skin pelt on it. I think sitting on a 3lb. ball pein hammer would provide more comfort.

Although I have not found my "IDEAL" Ninja yet. I can't help but love the yellow ones. Problem all my riding gear is red and white. There would be a slight clash in colors, but at least they'd see me!

Thanks again for the info.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #1110
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Mpg

I heard these bikes were meant to run on 87 but my average MPG with 93 was around 58mpg and now that I'm using 87 it dropped to about 53mpg.

It's the little things.

-Jake