Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #1141
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts View Post
The reason I want to know is that I'm investigating suitable donors for a fairly easy shock swap to go along with a dual sport front end swap on an ex250.
Keep us updated on the progress of this swap. I know several guys throw some agressive tires on the 250's and bomb down forest service roads but a full conversion would be very intersting.

A question for the masses.....what are you guys connecting your auxilary outlets to? My klr had unused parking light wires up front from the factory and it was a common mod just to plug into that. Anything like that on the Ninja? I need to run a gps or phone carger. I've got the waterproof outlet, Just got to run the wiring and wanted to the easiest, proper, way to do it, I've read going to the battery is ok but would really like it tied into something that turns on and off with the key.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #1142
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
man we had a great ride, about 400 miles of riding. and mostly backroads until the ride ended

Burton at the sheetz
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/562432_10151745151825109_536275108_24179566_350717 702_n.jpg[IMG]

not bad for 63k miles

smoke hole rd

scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #1143
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 514
Well I have a zzr250. Basically the same bike with different fairings. Mine is a December 03 that I picked up with 4800kms on it. I got it in November 10. It now has 45,000 kms and still running strong. It has developed a good rattle in the engine but uses no oil and still runs well.

Things I love about this bike are it's cheap! Cheap to run, to insure, to maintain etc. I travel 95kms each day, 5 days a week and it costs me $30 in fuel. I love its wheel stands from traffic lights. It doesn't mind a burnout to finish off it's rear tyres. It quite likes them too. I love taking it out to the street after a wash, dialing in 9,000rpm and popping the clutch, hitting the throttle stop and letting the bike bounce off the rev limiter whilst hanging it's bum out to the left by a good 30 degrees. My neighbors kids think the bike is so powerful! Lol. I'm just getting the wash residue off the tyres. Ha ha ha.

I've done a 3300km and an1800km trip on it with heaps of camping luggage on it. Hills aren't an issue as you just drop a gear or two and gas it. Top speed on mine is about 145km/h. That's without spending 5 mins trying to get it up there. All in all, a great little bike. Could do with 10hp more, but fun all the same.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #1144
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
A question for the masses.....what are you guys connecting your auxilary outlets to? My klr had unused parking light wires up front from the factory and it was a common mod just to plug into that. Anything like that on the Ninja? I need to run a gps or phone carger. I've got the waterproof outlet, Just got to run the wiring and wanted to the easiest, proper, way to do it, I've read going to the battery is ok but would really like it tied into something that turns on and off with the key.
I just hook everything up to the battery. If I remember correctly, there are aux wires that terminate up near the steering column (at least on my '07) but I've never tried hooking anything up to them.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #1145
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
I hope someone has a quick answer for my question.

My nephews Ninja seems to have gummed up carbs. I volunteered to fix them, thinking he would be helping/doing most of the work under my direction. ha. Well, long story short, I have a ninja that need to be apart and back together running, today. solo.

I believe it is an '08, so with that in mind can someone recommend a place to find the best way to remove the carbs for cleaning or if you have done this yourself already, clue me in on the steps on what to remove?

Thanks.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #1146
MotoSailorDC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I just hook everything up to the battery. If I remember correctly, there are aux wires that terminate up near the steering column (at least on my '07) but I've never tried hooking anything up to them.
Correct. There are 2 pairs of Aux wires on the 2nd generation Ninja 250. One set are at the front, and the other set are under the seat. Using the ones up front is great for a quick GPS/phone charging setup, but shouldn't be used in the long term, as there are a few issues with these wires. First off, they're always 'hot' or electrified, even if the bike is turned off with the key out of the ignition, so you have to be sure that you remove the device each and every time, or you will drain the battery. They're also in an obscene place, and are (I believe) 3/8" female spade connections. I use 1/4" male spades to connect my GPS rig to them as I couldn't find the right spade size, but it's not ideal. Right now, I run these to a cigar style plug that I keep in my tankbag. This acts as my hard on-off switch.

The black and white wire is your positive feed. If you're planning to hook a cigar style plug to these wires, I believe that the wire that leads to the center (as opposed to the walls) of the plug is your positive. You can confirm which wire goes where with a simple multimeter, checking for resistance. Be sure to check and re-check your polarity on this - some devices will blow their feeder fuse if the polarity is switched.

There's a great article online which details how to install an accessory fuse box, which will allow you to have your farkles on the 250 to be switched, so they turn off when the bike does, and it will also give you some fuses between the battery and your precious, precious farkles. This is one of the better solutions, and shouldn't cost more than 20-30 dollars and a few hours time. I plan to do this in the next few weeks, as time allows.
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #1147
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg

I believe it is an '08, so with that in mind can someone recommend a place to find the best way to remove the carbs for cleaning or if you have done this yourself already, clue me in on the steps on what to remove?

Thanks.
This is a good link though the photos don't appear to be showing up...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65198

This one also shows how to get the carbs out:

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...ll-re-jet.html
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #1148
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Question drats

I am not sure that is the problem. The bike is running so bad I am surprised he can ride it. It does not stall when the choke is full on. If I pin the throttle wide open, it will stall. I have to goose it to 2-3000 then pin it or it will stall. It is 80 degrees outside and was hard to start...stalled a few times unless I played withthe throttle a little.

I also missread those instructions ! I thought it said half an hour to remove everything ...it actually says and hour AND a half!

Is there anyway to narrow down the problem here with out ripping the bike apart and finding that is not the problem?

Standing by...
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #1149
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,032
It's the carbs. It's always the carbs. Quite problematic on the 250 if it is not ridden very regularly.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #1150
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It's the carbs. It's always the carbs. Quite problematic on the 250 if it is not ridden very regularly.
Thats a funny way to put it. Ok, Seems like it could be the carbs...
Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #1151
cherrywaves
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
my first bike. i loved it, though i outgrew it quickly. if you want something to just get from point a to point b in an economical fashion, you cant beat it.
cherrywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #1152
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrywaves View Post
i outgrew it quickly.
Aww, you were just riding it wrong then. ;)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #1153
cherrywaves
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
No sir I rode it like a stole it! It was a blast to wind out in the curves! Now I ride a hayabusa. But it's a great great bike the 250R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my thoughts
cherrywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #1154
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
Finally got the bike back

A little update on the new-to-me ninja 250:
When I had the valves adjusted, the fellow commented in passing "you have a leak in your gas tank" so I did the requisite Google search and found that this bike had an outstanding recall on the fuel tank - seems the factory had tapped a plastic mount-nut too deep and the screw could (and did) punch a hole in the tank. I called a local dealer who did not sell Kawsaki, but did have a sister store in another city who did sell Kawsaki - they said they would do the recall work locally, so a bright red tank was sent for, and after a two week lull, I have a shiny new fuel tank that does not leak- for free! can hardly wait to ride to work tomorrow - I've already missed quite a few sun-shiny days-
The bike has 1460-ish miles, fresh valve adjust, new oil and filter and now, a new fuel tank - finally it's ready to ride a good bit!

Another question: does anyone have a tank bag they use and like? Seems to be a perfect type piece of luggage for this bike-
Thanks,
Tim
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #1155
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

which year(s?) had the recall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amishmotorscoot View Post
A little update on the new-to-me ninja 250:
When I had the valves adjusted, the fellow commented in passing "you have a leak in your gas tank" so I did the requisite Google search and found that this bike had an outstanding recall on the fuel tank - seems the factory had tapped a plastic mount-nut too deep and the screw could (and did) punch a hole in the tank. I called a local dealer who did not sell Kawsaki, but did have a sister store in another city who did sell Kawsaki - they said they would do the recall work locally, so a bright red tank was sent for, and after a two week lull, I have a shiny new fuel tank that does not leak- for free! can hardly wait to ride to work tomorrow - I've already missed quite a few sun-shiny days-
The bike has 1460-ish miles, fresh valve adjust, new oil and filter and now, a new fuel tank - finally it's ready to ride a good bit!

Another question: does anyone have a tank bag they use and like? Seems to be a perfect type piece of luggage for this bike-
Thanks,
Tim