User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #1156
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
Recall

I don't know the years exactly, I went to the Kawasaki website and on the "owner info" pages there is a place to enter the vin of the bike to see if it is eligable for the recall. I would give you more specific detail but the iPad won't let me go to the main website and the mobile version of the kawasaki website doesn't offer the owner info pages. The main kawasaki website is pretty user friendly though-

If you smell gas after a fill, odds are there is a hole behind one of the screws that mount the plastic to the tank-
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #1157
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I just signed up on the website and received the letter under recalls:

Dear Kawasaki Motorcycle Owner:
This notice has been sent to you in accordance with requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
The reason for this notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004 ~ 2007 NINJA® 250R motorcycle models. On eligible units, the fuel tank could have been punctured during the assembly process allowing fuel to leak from the tank. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have bought one of these units.
What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:
Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting the fuel tank and replacing the tank if necessary. The actual repair will take up to one hour but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.
What you must do to ensure your safety:
Please call your authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment and take this letter with you at the time of your appointment.
DO NOT OPERATE YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THE INSPECTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
If you need help:
If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, or you experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and paid to have it corrected, please Contact Kawasaki’s Consumer Services Department:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #1158
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Thanks for the info! He has the '08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
I just signed up on the website and received the letter under recalls:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #1159
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I'm going into Kings cycle in Brooklyn on Saturday for them to check the tank
Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #1160
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
Thanks for adding the details of the recall-
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #1161
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
I'm seriously considering a Ninja 250 due to the millions of good things I've read about it and have always been partial to the smaller bikes. I understand it's pretty darn quick as far as 250's go. Can anyone tell me how it accelerates versus a KLX250S? Or just for kicks, versus the KLR650 I used to have? (the KLR was a tad big and top-heavy for me, esp with full tank of gas)
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #1162
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
A ninja 250 was my first bike (a 2007) and I have owned two different KLR's. It's been a few years, so I might be a little off, but I think the Ninja accelerated a little quicker. Neither are going to win any drag races, and the Ninjette had to be revved up a bit before it made any "power" whereas the KLR has its torque down low, but I think doing something like 0-60 the Ninja felt faster.

I don't know, doing a google search shows some sites saying the ninja is faster, and some saying the KLR is faster. I think they were probably around the same, but the Ninja felt faster to me. Maybe because it was my first bike, I don't know.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1163
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165

While the gf is busy practicing her skills on the Ninja I'm having fun tinkering and riding this bike. I finally got around to installing the 15T front sprocket and the .70kg front Sonic Springs. If I have to summarize my impression in three words they would be: WOW! DO IT - best "mods" for $100

15T front sprocket: I was a bit concerned before installing this because I was wrongly assuming I'd lose enough off-the-line power for it to become a real dog. Let's not kid ourselves there's not much power to begin with and the first gear is pretty unusable as it tops out quickly. Generally speaking you're shifting like a mad man trying to get away from the traffic. Well, after the installation I didn't notice much difference power wise yet the gears feels more usable. And of course the RPMs at higer cruising speeds are not tiring, hwy speeds feel more relaxed, might even see some MPG improvements - for those that care about that sorta thing :) All in all for spending 1hr and $13 at Amazon (JT Sprockets) this is a great upgrade - I can't imagine going back to the factory one.

.70kg/mm Sonic Springs: From the day I test drove it the one thing that annoyed the heck out of me was the squishy, dippy, noodle like fork springs. Braking felt weird, handling felt less planted, generally felt like something wasn't right with it. Maybe it's because I'm used to the ST1300 that has anti-dive, anti-squat suspension. Anyway, I settled on the .70kg rates because I didn't want a jarring ride. Took me 30mins to swap them and the difference is night and day. This is how it should've come from the factory. The ride is comfortable, handling feels great and even the braking feels much more improved. Well worth the $80!

Since the purchase a couple of months ago I've done a few upgrade and recommend these in this order if you're on the fence:

1. New tires, EBC HH Sintered pads all around and new brake fluid- these should be the first upgrade for anyone
2. Sonic Springs
3. 15T front sprocket

My next and most likely the final upgrade will be a better rear shock if I can find one in good condition.

Who knew I'd enjoy a $2k bike this much, maybe it's the minimalist in me Heck, I'm leaving on a 1100 mile trip this weekend and came so close to taking the Ninja; even put the saddle bags and tank bag on it to test fit - it even looked good, ready and eager to go
1982 NightHawk 450cc - Sold
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #1164
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
I bought a post 08 Ninja 250 rear shock, Ninja 500 fork springs for my 02 Ninja 250.
Under $60 on eBay for both items, 25 minutes install, front and rear suspension upgrade done.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #1165
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Keep us updated on the progress of this swap. I know several guys throw some agressive tires on the 250's and bomb down forest service roads but a full conversion would be very intersting.
I will, though it will be awhile before I have any progress to report. This is an idea that I've had for awhile and since I keep coming back to it I'm starting to think that I should make it happen. I'm trying to gather as much information in advance as I can so that things will go faster when I finally get the chance to begin. I do realize, however, that there's no substitute for having the new parts and the bike in hand and just trying to get them to work together.

I realize that the shock stroke is a bit of a tough question but maybe if someone's upgrading shock springs at some point they can measure it for me? While I'm asking tough questions, can anyone tell me approximate length of the steering stem and/or the headtube? Within a 1/4" or so should be fine so the measurement could come from a fully-assembled bike, I just don't have one yet.

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #1166
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I bought a post 08 Ninja 250 rear shock, Ninja 500 fork springs for my 02 Ninja 250.
Under $60 on eBay for both items, 25 minutes install, front and rear suspension upgrade done.
Nice! What are the advantages of the 08+ rear shock over the factory one i.e. adjustability? stiffer springs? etc? Is it bolt-on solution or requires modifications? Just trying to understand the options i.e. EX500 shock, GSXR shock, 08+ shock.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #1167
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
Post-08 rear shock is slightly longer than pre-08 rear shock, it raise the rear end, pretty much eliminate the headshake effect when you let go the handlebars.

It seems to have higher spring rate and pre-08 model, too.

No mod, straight bolt-on swap, easily done while parked on centerstand.. 10 min. top.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #1168
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Post-08 rear shock is slightly longer than pre-08 rear shock, it raise the rear end, pretty much eliminate the headshake effect when you let go the handlebars.

It seems to have higher spring rate and pre-08 model, too.

No mod, straight bolt-on swap, easily done while parked on centerstand.. 10 min. top.
Thanks! did you say 10mins, SOLD!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #1169
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
Really bad front end vibration this morning...

As soon as I left the garage I knew something was wrong. The vibration was picking the bike up and down at slower speeds but seemed to balance out at 65-70.

I checked all around the bike after my 25mile commute and noticed a near baseball sized bubble on my front tire! (Just like on the side of a car tire but mine is on the tread of mine!)

No wonder the guage cluster and fairing was shaking so bad I could hardly read the display... I have no idea what caused this, I left the bike parked for a day and a half before riding it and now there is a huge bubble.

I reckon it ain't safe to ride like that eh?

-Jake
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1170
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
Replaced that stock set of Dunlops with some Pirelli Speed Demons. I hope these are at least slightly better than the shitty tires the bike comes with stock.

-Jake