Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #1171
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
I've made many mods to my ninjette, and the best one was upgrading the stock tires. Remarkably more capable bike with good rubber. Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires probably the best tires out that fit the stock rims now that it comes in a 140 rear - nice radial tire with dual compound. But short of that the Sport Demons are great for bias ply tires. A good choice, and a good value for significant performance improvement.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1172
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
You will love the demons, will perform, grip and do it well, just for less miles, worth the trade
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #1173
SeanShawn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Buyers remorse is killing me on this one as I bought it brand spanking new. It's great when the road is smooth like butter and your flicking the thing wherever you want.. on the other hand bumpy roads destroy your balls, the clip-on's kill your wrists and the pegs are positioned so awkwardly that you feel like you're walking a tightrope.. not to mention wind buffeting.

Any way to make this 08+ torture rack more comfortable?
SeanShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #1174
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Buy an 07-earlier :)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #1175
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
+1, at 1/2 the price or less.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #1176
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 322
Update on the new Sport Demons...

These tires blow the stock DunRocks out of the water!

I commute on this bike so a lot of my riding this time of year is in the rain, these tires give me much more confidence while on the interstate in a rain storm than those stock pieces of shit ever did not to mention the slightly taller stance. Overall an amazing buy and performance upgrade, due to the larger size my speedo reads closer to actual speed as well. (You know, these Ninjettes being speed demons and all )

I'm probably buying another set.

-Jake
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #1177
SeanShawn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
I'm pretty sure you pre 08 owners are a cult

I prefer the current gen style, plus since it's supposedly a great "beginners" bike all the kids are after it. Which makes it an easier resell(IMO) after I crash it 10 times and decide to buy a guzzi.

Anyone have specific experience with the aftermarket seats? Corbin/Airhawk etc, maybe some bar risers too.

SeanShawn screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 07:54 PM Reason: picta
SeanShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #1178
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanShawn View Post
Buyers remorse is killing me on this one as I bought it brand spanking new. It's great when the road is smooth like butter and your flicking the thing wherever you want.. on the other hand bumpy roads destroy your balls, the clip-on's kill your wrists and the pegs are positioned so awkwardly that you feel like you're walking a tightrope.. not to mention wind buffeting.

Any way to make this 08+ torture rack more comfortable?
6'2", 35" inseam, and I'm fine on it. Double bubble windscreen shuts down the buffeting quite a bit (Zero Gravity or Puig both do the job, and are nearly identical). Other than that, all I've added is the Motech mirror extenders (wouldn't ride this bike without them), a tail tidy, and one of those expandable bags that attached to the passenger seat.

I find the bars to be very well-positioned, but I agree that the rear shock is flat-out awful. If I rode on bumpy roads more often, that is where I would start. I chalk that up to the price point. For $4,000 though, it's a great machine, and a wonderful commuter at speeds up to about 70. The engine is certainly good for more, but the vibes through the bars and the stock seat are limitations there.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #1179
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
With a 35" inseam, how do you handle the tank flairs? I'm at 31" and my knees hit the peak edge of the flairs. I can't ride the bike without dropping the pegs at least 1.5-2.0".

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #1180
Cat0020
El cheapo

I'm 5'10", 34" inseam.. I cut the hump of the passenger seat on my 04 Ninja 250, i can slide further back on the seat to reduce the bend in knees.. just another reason the pre-gen Ninja is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteraan View Post
For $4,000 though, it's a great machine, and a wonderful commuter at speeds up to about 70. The engine is certainly good for more, but the vibes through the bars and the stock seat are limitations there.
Both of my SV650s were purchased under $2.5k each:

My 04 ninja 250 was under $1200.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #1181
MotoSailorDC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I'm 5'10", 34" inseam.. I cut the hump of the passenger seat on my 04 Ninja 250, i can slide further back on the seat to reduce the bend in knees.. just another reason the pre-gen Ninja is better.

+1 I'm 6-3/ 36" inseam and never had much trouble with fitting. Didn't even have to make any dropped pegs.

Slowly building a herd!
MotoSailorDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #1182
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:

Both of my SV650s were purchased under $2.5k each:

My 04 ninja 250 was under $1200.
That's like comparing apples and motor oil. :

For $4,000, mine was brand new.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #1183
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
That's like comparing apples and motor oil. :
Apples and motor oil all have two wheels and twin cylinder engines?

Quote:
or $4,000, mine was brand new.
And does it perform $1500 better than a used SV650?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #1184
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Apples and motor oil all have two wheels and twin cylinder engines?

And does it perform $1500 better than a used SV650?
Really? Comparing the value of a new motorcycle directly against a used motorcycle doesn't make any sense. In virtually every case the used motorcycle will have more value per dollar.

Buying a motorcycle new means you can choose exactly what you want, it will be in perfect condition, you don't have to worry about abusive/neglectful previous owners, all components are brand, and nothing needs replacing and you've got a warranty. You pay a premium for a new motorcycle but for many people it's worth it. (and without new motorcycles there would be no cheap used motorcycles).

I've never paid more than $1500 for any motorcycle but I don't make fun of people who do.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #1185
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan325ic View Post
Really? Comparing the value of a new motorcycle directly against a used motorcycle doesn't make any sense. In virtually every case the used motorcycle will have more value per dollar.
Looks like you agree that buying a used Ninja is better value than buying a new one. What's the problem?

Quote:
Buying a motorcycle new means you can choose exactly what you want, it will be in perfect condition, you don't have to worry about abusive/neglectful previous owners, all components are brand, and nothing needs replacing and you've got a warranty. You pay a premium for a new motorcycle but for many people it's worth it. (and without new motorcycles there would be no cheap used motorcycles).
I disagree, you are limited to the selection that is available at your local dealer. You never know if there could be warranty issues until something goes wrong, you don't know for sure if the mechanic that setup the new bike has ever abused the vehicle, even if it is for a few minutes during test ride.

Quote:
I've never paid more than $1500 for any motorcycle but I don't make fun of people who do.
Good for you, what is the problem again?