Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #1186
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I woke up this morning and didn't see the bike! As the adrenaline sprayed into my abdomen, I ran over to where the bike was and found it laying on its side with coolant fluid running down the sidewalk. Thanks to the solid rearsets I installed when I first got the bike, nothing happened to it. The mirrors were closed, the steering was locked, I have flushmount signals so between the bar ends and the rearsets the bike itself never touched the ground.

There was a brand new Audi parked right next to the bike, the window was busted and glass was everywhere, so I think the thugs who broke into the car, saw the little Ninjette and decided to kick it down.

I drove it to work, all is good.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #1187
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,524
No police report?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #1188
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
No police report?
Nothing happened, the police don't do anything here if it's not a murder or stabbing or something serious they don't care.

I've gotten my car broken into before as well, and I got sideswiped by a cab while parked, and I was under a camera, and the police did nothing or even cared about what was going on.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #1189
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Nothing happened, the police don't do anything here if it's not a murder or stabbing or something serious they don't care.

I've gotten my car broken into before as well, and I got sideswiped by a cab while parked, and I was under a camera, and the police did nothing or even cared about what was going on.
sheesh.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #1190
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,958
I love the character of my 04 Lil'Ninja and have been on a quest to find a bike that feels like the Ninjette just with more oomph. I've owned a Ninja 500 and BMW F800 and was less than impressed with both of those. I'm beginning to think that I just don't like parallel twins. I have thought seriously about a Ninja 650 but am reluctant to have a repeat performance of the 500s engine. I'm thinking now that a FZR600, CBR600F3-4, etc might be a better match to the engine character of the 250 as the 250 has never felt like a twin to me. Am I way off base here?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #1191
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
No, not totally off-base. I understand your desire, and even share it to a degree. I believe that a 600cc I4 (CBR600F3/4) also misses your stated goal - they are too far toward the super-sport end of the spectrum to really share the character of the Ninjette.

The closest I've found so far is the Honda CB-1 (CB400F or NC-27), and finding a used one in good condition is very difficult. The next step for me would be the Street Triple R, but now I'm back toward a super-sport again (with the engine at least). There just seems to be no way to make me happy.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #1192
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
No, not totally off-base. I understand your desire, and even share it to a degree. I believe that a 600cc I4 (CBR600F3/4) also misses your stated goal - they are too far toward the super-sport end of the spectrum to really share the character of the Ninjette.

The closest I've found so far is the Honda CB-1 (CB400F or NC-27), and finding a used one in good condition is very difficult. The next step for me would be the Street Triple R, but now I'm back toward a super-sport again (with the engine at least). There just seems to be no way to make me happy.
Now why didn't I think of the Triumph....that might be one to take a closer look at! And ya, I can see the CBR being too sporty and a CB1 would be wonderful but very very rare.

Maybe FZ6?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #1193
Cat0020
El cheapo

Try a SV650, carb version is lighter in weight, better power output can easily obtained with air filter/exhaust/jetting mods that cost little in comparison to FI version.

After putting over 10k miles on a CB-1, I find it anemic.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #1194
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I love the character of my 04 Lil'Ninja and have been on a quest to find a bike that feels like the Ninjette just with more oomph. I've owned a Ninja 500 and BMW F800 and was less than impressed with both of those. I'm beginning to think that I just don't like parallel twins. I have thought seriously about a Ninja 650 but am reluctant to have a repeat performance of the 500s engine. I'm thinking now that a FZR600, CBR600F3-4, etc might be a better match to the engine character of the 250 as the 250 has never felt like a twin to me. Am I way off base here?
That's also what I'm looking for, a bike similar to what I've got with just a little more power, both hp and electrical power. I've looked at and thought about buying the 95+ Ninja 500, 650 but haven't found the right deal yet I guess. I've now got 78K miles on it so I probably ought to be looking a little harder. What about the 98+ Suzuki Katana's. Really more of a sport tourer and an out and out sport bike.
Tony
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1195
Cat0020
El cheapo

Katana's are air/oil cooled engine just like the Bandits.. similar powerplant as the GSXR from the late 70's with different tune.
IMO they are heavy for air/oil cooled bikes, handling is not as sharp as the SV650, the in-line 4 engine condiguration widen the overall dimensions of the bike.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #1196
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

I won't argue that many would find a CB-1 anemic relative to many other motorcycles, but not if we are using an EX-250R as the baseline.

I also agree that the SV-650 (either generation) is a terrific motorcycle. I've almost owned one on two separate occasions. But I don't believe that they feel like a Ninjette, which was the comment to which I was responding. They are, however, a great next step up. A Triumph STR would be another step up, and is my personal favorite for the moment, unless KTM brings the 2012/2013 690 Duke to the US (which would be a big step sideways!).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #1197
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Regarding the SV as a step up....I agree completely. I have a SV1000n tho and I'm only good for 150 miles on it due to the seat and riding position. The 650 has the same ergos which I wouldn't get along with. With the Ninja 250 I've done 500 mile days on and still been able to walk after.

I guess I'm looking for 2 things.
1. Does the Ninja 250 parallel twin behave like a typical parallel twin? I've ridden an xs400, 650, EX500, and F800 and didn't care for any of those engines at all, they vibrate weird to me and seem reluctant to rev. But I love the 250's character and vibration pattern.

I really like the price/performance/handling of the Ninja 650 according to tests but I'm reluctant to purchase one if the engine feels like the other parallel twins that I've ridden. (Can't find one to test ride to verify for myself)

2.Are there any other mid cc bikes say 400-750 that have the same engine character as the 250 since it doesn't feel particularly twin like to me. Street triple? FZ6 or FZR 600? Honda 599? Katana 600? GSX650?

Jimmy the Heater screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 12:45 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1198
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
That's also what I'm looking for, a bike similar to what I've got with just a little more power, both hp and electrical power. I've looked at and thought about buying the 95+ Ninja 500, 650 but haven't found the right deal yet I guess. I've now got 78K miles on it so I probably ought to be looking a little harder. What about the 98+ Suzuki Katana's. Really more of a sport tourer and an out and out sport bike.
Tony
I found the EX500 to be a good bike, riding position, handling and suspension are all very similar to the 250. However I didn't care for the engine. It makes plenty of power but to me it just didn't like to rev and it vibrated in protest when I made it go above 5k rpm.
To me it almost felt like a cruiser engine, plenty of torque and happy to cruise with a pleasant thrum through the bars and pegs below about 50mph. Drop 2 gears and ask it to pass and it just wasn't happy.

Oddly enough I experienced the same thing in a Ninja 750 so it's not just a parallel twin thing.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1199
Cat0020
El cheapo

Compare CB-1 to Ninja 250, they are about the same to me.
EX250 has better lowend torque, more useful in city traffic, CB-1 has more power output above 10k rpm.. both require quick shifting.

As to vibration, EX250 don't have nearly as bad as SV1000.

Poor ergo on the SV? have you ever tried resting against a secure tankbag while riding? I simply relax my arms/shoulders when I have something solid to lean against.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #1200
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Jimmy - I guess that the Ninjette really doesn't feel like a typical larger-displacement twin. It doesn't have the typical twin's rocking feel. Now the timing of the crank (90- 180- or 270-degrees) has a lot to do with the feel of a twin, but the Ninjette has so little mass and revs so well (makes its power up high, too) that it just doesn't feel like a typical twin to me.

As I said above, the best next stop is the STR. The only problem is that it is a big two steps up. I don't think that any of the four cylinder machines listed above are any better, and most miss the mark of "feeling" like a bigger EX-250R. The GSX-F has been dropped in the US for 2012, and it always felt like a slow VFR to me. We never saw the Phasers in the US. The FZ6R is built to too much of a price point for me, but lots of folks like it compared to the EX-650R Ninja - I'd prefer the previous generation FZ-6. The FZ-8 is great, but I'd prefer the STR. The Katanas all felt too heavy for me.