Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #1291
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Just traded in my favorite bike, '05 250, for hopefully my new favorite. Bye bye little buddy.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #1292
BRad704
Journeyman

Oddometer: 30
I love this thread... 08 Ninja 250, or Ninja ZX2R as I like to call her is what I learned to ride on, it's what has gotten my girlfriend interested in learning to ride, and it's what I plan on keeping as a commuter, long after my VFR750 is back on the road. I'm glad to see there are other people who don't buy into the "when ya gonna get a real bike?" crap.

BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #1293
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,977
I spent a half hour with my son today bolting this on his 2012 250 commuter,

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...i-ninja-250-08

I have one on my 300 too, and we added a small Moose hard case to it also. What a pleasure in dealing with Twisted Throttle, the ease of install and the top notch quality of the SW-Motech rack. It was about as easy a half hour you could spend working on a bike, the thing just about falls out of the box and on the bike and man, it fits the 250 so much tighter to the body than my 300. Excellent product!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #1294
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The '08 and up looks better, but the older models actually had a real seat, a big consideration for long distance riding. That vinyl pad on the newer models is designed for looks. I saw a Beadrider seat cover in one of those pictures. I have 2 of them, and have used them on all my bikes and scooters. They work great for me. I did not have one when I had the '07 Ninja, but it was still reasonably comfortable. The biggest issue was the riding position rather than the seat, but it was way better than the Ninja 500.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #1295
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 317
Still commuting daily on my 2005. Still spreadin' the gospel of the pre-2007. My other bikes just sit. I keep looking at Concourses though (C10s, natch). I must be gettin' old.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #1296
Flipflop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I had a blast on mine... Put darn near 30k miles on her. I miss her something fierce. Note... If you own a Ninja 250, don't sell her.

My wife didn't like the pillion seat, and such parted ways after a year of taking the FZ1 instead.

Together my little ninja and I went from NC to Key West (Non stop) and back. From NC to California, up to Portland Oregon and back. (in a shade under 3 weeks).

Lots of room on a Ninja 250, particularly if you add the buell lowering foot pegs to them.

I'd still like to have one, though I'd like around 40 horsepower at the rear wheel, as 85 mph traffic patterns on the I5 and I77 up in high altitudes have some curves that you lean over and just don't have any more oomph to accelerate... bike stands up and runs wide.

Cheers,

Zach
Flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #1297
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Has anyone ever tried welding the clutch basket on one of these bikes?

My wife's 250 started making bad noises... the rubber buffers in the basket disintegrated. I bought a used basket off of Ebay, it's a little better, but I doubt it'll hold up for long.

There's a plate on the backside of the basket that has pins that pass through the main drive gear. The gear floats while the plate and pins are solid to the basket. The plate and gear actually contact and it looks like a good welder could run a bead to make the whole thing solid without stressing the base metals much.

But, what would a solid basket do to the rest of the drive line?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #1298
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Anyone with an 08+ notice yourself being pushed forward in the seat?

It's usually fine, but after riding for an hour or so I feel like I'm gravitating towards the tank!

On a related note, I have called my bike the Crushinator...
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #1299
BRad704
Journeyman

Oddometer: 30
I Notice that too. Probably based on fatigue after riding for a while, but the seats does slope forward

Sent from my handheld-sending-thing...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #1300
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,009
I put 7000 miles on a 2005 in about 6 months and it was a good bike,I would enjoy having a newer style 1 and do some more long trips on it.I loved when I'd pull in some place on a long trip with all my junk piled up on it and people couldn't believe I was doin it on a 250!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #1301
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,649
Selling mine http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post21279498

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1302
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Has anyone ever tried welding the clutch basket on one of these bikes?

My wife's 250 started making bad noises... the rubber buffers in the basket disintegrated. I bought a used basket off of Ebay, it's a little better, but I doubt it'll hold up for long.

There's a plate on the backside of the basket that has pins that pass through the main drive gear. The gear floats while the plate and pins are solid to the basket. The plate and gear actually contact and it looks like a good welder could run a bead to make the whole thing solid without stressing the base metals much.

But, what would a solid basket do to the rest of the drive line?
I'm not familiar with the clutch design on these bikes, so I'm not sure what welding the basket to the gear would accomplish, or what effects it would have.

With that said, bikes ridden on pavement need a cush drive system somewhere in the driveline to prevent shocks from being transmitted to the transmission. Some designs place the cush drive in the rear wheel, and others have it designed into the clutch. If your welding plan will do away with the cush drive, I wouldn't recommend it.

I once had an XR600 that I converted into a dualsport. Dirt bikes often will not have a cush drive system since when ridden on dirt the traction of the tires , or lack thereof, do the job of absorbing the shocks. On pavement the increased traction transmits all of these shocks through the driveline and need something to absorb them to protect the system. Anyway, the D/S version of the XR600, the XL600/650 has a cush drive. The XR did not. I ended up selling the XR to a member here a few years ago as a "winter project" because something was wrong with the shifting. I had no idea what was wrong, only that it didn't shift right and that I didn't have time or motivation to tear into it to find out. I sold it cheap just to get it out of my garage. He got back with me a few weeks later to let me know what he had found when he tore into it. Third gear was fragged. Was this due to the lack of a cush drive? I can't say for sure, but I do know that the manufacturers wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of designing and including a cush system if it wasn't needed.

On many bikes that use a cush hub in the rear wheel, the rubbers are available separately. Are they not available for your application? If not, I'd say that the safest, if not the cheapest, solution would be to replace the worn parts with new. Much cheaper in the long run that a fragged transmission.

Good luck.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1303
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,009
250 Ninjas co have a Cush.I would look at other options,see what's worn that is giving you problems,also look up slipper clutch,common on large bore sport bikes and I think track bikes,I think what ever is wrong is fixable,1/4 liter Ninjas are very forgiving.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #1304
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,649
Help

Am i asking too much? I see these thing in worse condition go for more around me. I hate craigslist so Im trying here first. Im guessing its just not much of an ADV bike?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881255

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #1305
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Am i asking too much? I see these thing in worse condition go for more around me. I hate craigslist so Im trying here first. Im guessing its just not much of an ADV bike?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881255
If you lived in FL I would buy it just to have a second one. Decent asking price, just wait.

-Jake