User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Pissed Tiger Issues - Idle and Cooling

Ok, so the Tiger is an awesome bike, but it's really wearing on my nerves. It's only got 4k miles it, I shouldn't be having issues.

1 - I think I'm having the famous "stepper motor issue". The bike usually runs fine when I start it, but after it's up to temp, it sporadically won't idle. Sometimes for long periods of time. Runs fine if I give it gas. From what I've read, it sounds like the stepper. One of the guys on here (can't remember the name) said he got in there and lubed the linkage with some penetrating oil or something and it ran for for thousands of miles after that so I think that's what I'm going to try next.

2 - Has anyone else ever noticed bubbling in their coolant expansion tank when the bike is hot? When I stop after the bike is pretty hot (lots of stop and go in warmer temps, I can hear "gurgling" in the expansion tank and it looks like bubbles from the coolant boiling. The temp guage has always read the same, no matter the temp outside once the engine is up to normal operating temp. So it doesn't appear to be over-heating but I can't explain the bubbles. Anyone else seen this?

I would take it into my local dealer's service dept in north Scottsdale, but I've found that it's easier to just beat my head against the wall at home. I know that they know about the stepper issue in general, but when I rode it in, naturally it picked that time to quit stalling. So they said they would put it on the machine and maybe reset the TPS, but I really don't think that's what it needs. No problem for them though, a hundred bucks here, a hundred bucks there. It also didn't start happening until right after I had the bike serviced there, but naturally their response is "we didn't touch anything that would affect that...."

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s
Spongehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongehead View Post
2 - Has anyone else ever noticed bubbling in their coolant expansion tank when the bike is hot? When I stop after the bike is pretty hot (lots of stop and go in warmer temps, I can hear "gurgling" in the expansion tank and it looks like bubbles from the coolant boiling. The temp guage has always read the same, no matter the temp outside once the engine is up to normal operating temp. So it doesn't appear to be over-heating but I can't explain the bubbles. Anyone else seen this?
My Tiger bubbles and gurgles during hot temperatures after a long run, too. A few times it has spit out coolant, as well. The temperature display never moved higher than the normal 5 bars.

I asked my dealer about this, they said it's normal. *shrug*

I have had to top up coolant a couple times, but usually the bike will spit coolant until it reaches it's normal level of coolant--to the "low" line in the overflow tank while cold.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
My Tiger bubbles and gurgles during hot temperatures after a long run, too. A few times it has spit out coolant, as well. The temperature display never moved higher than the normal 5 bars.

I asked my dealer about this, they said it's normal. *shrug*

I have had to top up coolant a couple times, but usually the bike will spit coolant until it reaches it's normal level of coolant--to the "low" line in the overflow tank while cold.
Love it when the dealer tells me it's "normal". Just like engineers designed I'm sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s
Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongehead View Post
Love it when the dealer tells me it's "normal". Just like engineers designed I'm sure. Thanks for the feedback.
Ha yeah. "Not unusual" is a far cry from "working as intended." Perhaps the radiator pressure valve is leaking a bit, allowing too much coolant into the overflow. Whatever the cause, it has not been a serious concern. Just an occasional annoyance.

30K miles in and I haven't had a serious problem, FWIW. Hope you can sort out your idle stepper motor issue and enjoy the bike.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,952
Cleaning and lubing the stepper motor is a pretty easy thing to do. Dr Google and Professor YouTube will give you all the information you need to know about how to perform the task if you want to go down that route.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Vegas800XC
lurker

Oddometer: 93
The gurgle is just coolant not being circulated in the head after shutdown. It boils a bit and pushes some to the tank. Completely normal. If you don't like the burble then let the bike idle for a minute before shutdown to allow the head to cool a bit more.. no gurgle
The stepper problem is a pain I agree..
Vegas800XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Found it!

Even with the sealed airbox and snorkel running under the seat I still managed to get mud in the airbox and in my filter. This filter only has 4000 miles on it.

I cleaned the stepper up and lubed it per the method The Haymaker described in one of his posts, with some high grade CLP. So far so good. Idling well and I can see the bike adjusting the idle RPM between 1k and almost 2k so the stepper seems to have it's full range of motion back. Fingers crossed it will last.

Hat tip to The Haymaker on the tip with the CLP.

Thanks for the feedback on the bubbling in the reservoir. Good to know it doesn't sound like it's a serious issue.

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Hey sponge how are you doing? You can bring that Tiger by the house anytime it needs some love. Going to have Dealer Tool and the tank extensions soon to do 12k service. Just need to teach a couple classes for the dough.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Hey sponge how are you doing? You can bring that Tiger by the house anytime it needs some love. Going to have Dealer Tool and the tank extensions soon to do 12k service. Just need to teach a couple classes for the dough.
You can save the money on the fuel line extensions. I recently did my first 6,000 mile service including a throttle body balance. I left the tank on the forward rubber mounts and just pulled it back 2" or so and lifted the rear of it a few inches and wedged a couple pieces of wood between tank and frame to get sufficient room to remove the airbox and access the TB screws. I've had the tank off twice to install lights and grips and it's not a big deal to remove it but I'll not pay for the extensions when they're not needed for the job. There is no strain on the fuel line when the tank is lifted like this.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Hey Uncle - Doing well thanks. Thanks for the offer - this seems to have done the trick - it's running well so far. And I've repaired the body damage from my little whiskey throttle incident on the Crown King road.... Let's hope it lasts several thousand miles. :)

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Just posting in here that I've done my 12k service on my 800XC recently, and live in Mesa, AZ.

I've got DealerTool and the OBD-II cable, the electrical and fuel line extensions, and a box of valve shims.

And a bike that runs after I've gone so far as to yank the exhaust camshaft and change out 3 of the OEM shims.

So, anyone in the PHX area that is a self-wrencher and looking for some guidance and how-to help on Tiger maintenance is welcome to come over or contact me here.

I found timing to be a bit of a PITA if you do end up pulling either of the camshafts, and managing chain tension is critical during reassembly.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Just posting in here that I've done my 12k service on my 800XC recently, and live in Mesa, AZ.

I've got DealerTool and the OBD-II cable, the electrical and fuel line extensions, and a box of valve shims.

And a bike that runs after I've gone so far as to yank the exhaust camshaft and change out 3 of the OEM shims.

So, anyone in the PHX area that is a self-wrencher and looking for some guidance and how-to help on Tiger maintenance is welcome to come over or contact me here.

I found timing to be a bit of a PITA if you do end up pulling either of the camshafts, and managing chain tension is critical during reassembly.
Wow, I consider myself a self-wrencher but that's far and beyond anything I've ever attempted.

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Well, I was buoyed by the confidence from a successfully rebuilt XR600R engine, and motivated by the $750 or so price tag of a 12k service at GoAZ. The idea of that cost, once a year or more, made me want to be a self-servicer.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
Spongehead OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Well, I was buoyed by the confidence from a successfully rebuilt XR600R engine, and motivated by the $750 or so price tag of a 12k service at GoAZ. The idea of that cost, once a year or more, made me want to be a self-servicer.
Really? They gave me a rough quote of around $500 for the 12k service. Then again with the experiences I've had I take everything at the service dept with a grain of salt.

I'm used to high cost valve adjustments with my Ducati, which has 16 valve clearances to check. I get all my major Ducati work done by Tom Hull in Chandler. Much better and trustworthy mechanic with a ton of experience and lower cost than the dealership. I drive an hour one-way past two Euro dealerships to take my bike to his place for work. I asked him last time I was over there and he said he can work on Tigers as well - he specializes in Euro bikes.

http://tomsitaliantuneandservice.com/

Tiger 800 XC
Ducati ST4s