Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Should I sell my Ulysses?

Pretty straight forward question...
Had a baby last May, another due in November, can't drop them off or pick up from daycare with the bike for obvious reasons, etc.
Every time I've sold and not had a street bike I regretted it, and then bought another. I do have other toys like an ATV, and projects like a few antique cars and trucks and a tractor. I just feel like my bike is my only hobby/interest that takes me away from my kid, while I can include him in the others.
Anybody else been there and have any thoughts?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Sell it. Its a buell and I hear parts can be hard to come by. It will only get harder as time goes on and before long it'll be sitting up waiting for parts, thus turning into another never ending project. You can buy somethimg more current later if you want to. Just my opinion.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 934
I would keep it, its not costing you anything to have it, and in a few years the young whipper snapper will love going for rides!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
WillRide
n00b

Oddometer: 9
If you feel like you should sell it (which I think you do, since you started this thread), you should. If you feel like it is taking away from quality time with your kids just sell it. If riding the bike is a good 'escape' to get some time for yourself every once in a while, it may not be so bad to keep it. Everyone needs time alone but some more than others.

But my guess is that you'll end up buying another bike in a few years if you do decide to sell it now. Motorcycles are not something you can really quit. Not a bad thing though if you sell now, and buy another bike later. That way someone else gets to enjoy your bike in the meantime, and you'll have the excitement of finding new love in the next one.
WillRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I would keep it, its not costing you anything to have it, and in a few years the young whipper snapper will love going for rides!
I'm with Kojack, you may not ride as much for a couple three years but in time you will and that Buell will be just as much fun if not more with your youngster on the back.

Yes there are other arguably "better" bikes out there that you could buy when the time comes but the Ulysses is one of those bikes that's greater than the sum of it's parts. If you like them you really like them and they won't be easier to find in 3 or 5 years.. Particularly as nice as the one you have.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Sell it. Its a buell and I hear parts can be hard to come by. It will only get harder as time goes on and before long it'll be sitting up waiting for parts, thus turning into another never ending project. You can buy somethimg more current later if you want to. Just my opinion.
You've heard incorrectly. There are a few private vendors that offer most anything you could need for XB's

Do you owe anything on the bike?

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
Should I sell my Ulysses?
If you are not riding it more than a few hundred miles a year.
Yes; sell it now, while there is still "some" value left.

The parts situation IS only going to get worse going forward... As, Harley has no reason to support the Buell brand.

It's not too bad right now. At my H-D dealer, all Buell parts have to be special ordered and prepaid.
With the understanding that ALL Buell PARTS SALES ARE FINAL: NO RETURNS!

EBR, has some Buell XB specific parts.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Sell it

I would sell it....but with the intention of getting something for yourself later.

Here is why - As a dad, the early years are a struggle to get much time for your hobbies. You have other hobbies which makes the time per hobby even more scarce. Money will also get scarce as childcare costs increase. That means, there may be a time when you say "wow, the Buell could pay for..."

Here is the other thing, the bond with your little kids can be really strong. To the point that you don't really WANT to be away from them for more than a few hours. As they get older, the range gets longer. Basically, you trust eachother to be OK apart for longer periods.

My daughter is older and we go on rides in the neighborhood on my bike. We haven't branched out of the development yet on a 2 wheeler. I did have a Ural sidecar for a bit and we would make grocery runs on that.

Little kids love a sidecar, but they can't ride in it on their own until they are about 5 or so. 2 year olds can not be trusted to not just climb right out, so that trip becomes a family affair. It is fun, but short lived in my experience.

My wife does not want to ride on the same bike as me. Similar to the management team of a company not being on the same flight, in case "something" happens, she doesn't want both of us out of commission or worse. Background on that is we don't have any family around to help us. There is no Grandpa picking the kids up from daycare or anything like that.

My kid isn't super excited to go ride on the back yet. She likes it, but isn't really pushing for it, so I am waiting until she pushes before I buy her more gear (she has helmet and gloves and wears a regular jacket).

So, later, you may want to pick up a sidecar rig for a few years to ride around witht he kids or you might want to save your pennies until the kids are off to Kindergarten and then get yourself something pretty sweet!

Just my thoughts on it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Dont sell

if you have a complaint with the bike, or finances are suffering, then sell.. otherwise, keep it. I say that as a father of 6 ages 8-23. You WILL regret it if it is something you are passionate about. There will always be a free moment here and there. Sure you won't realistically be able to pack up and go for week long rides without much worry , however sometimes the kids will go with mom, and you'll have your opportunity. Scaling back your expectations of available ride times, does not mean you will have none at all. I'm telling you, it will be a decision you regret the moment you see that bike on someone elses trailer heading out your driveway. I mean think about it, would you just sell your golf clubs if that was your passion? No, you just wouldn't get them out as frequently ya know? Maybe your rides shrink from an all day event to a few hours here and there.. but you ARE riding!
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,425
You really are asking two questions:

1) Should I sell my Uly?
2) Should I own a bike at all?

And 1 could be taken separately from 2.

When my kids (the kayakheads) were small, I sold my bike. No time to ride, it was too selfish because I did it by myself, etc. It was a C10 Connie and I really didn't like it anyway, although I had owned it for 10 years.

Five years went by and every time a bike went by, my head would swivel. I realized that I really missed riding and I started to look for another bike. Like a lot of riders, riding is stress relief for me and I missed that (or as Vermin once said, "My wife realized that I become an asshole when I can't ride").

Mrs. Canoehead was secretly happy that I had sold my bike and put up significant objections/resistance to buying another and it became a source of friction that lasts to this day (even though I now have MBS - multiple bike syndrome).

The kayakheads were thrilled when I bought another bike and they ride with me all the time; the best ride I ever took was taking my daughter on a 10 day trip to Crater Lake.

So, what is the point of all this?

1) Make sure that you really don't want to own a bike.
2) Maybe you just don't want to own that bike. I personally think Buells are cool, so I'm not advocating one way or the other.
2) Riding isn't necessarily a selfish pursuit.
3) If you get out, it might be hard to get back in.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
You really are asking two questions:

1) Should I sell my Uly?
2) Should I own a bike at all?

And 1 could be taken separately from 2.
I agree with Canoehead.

As someone with a two year old, and who just got rid of a Uly, I think I can comment on this.

1. Yes, I would sell it while it has some value. Despite those who say that parts will be available, I could not disagree more. Many parts have been hard to come by for at least the last year, with long wait times at the very least. As I said in another thread, the last time I went to get some small stuff, everything was listed as pending obsolete. Less than 10,000 Uly's were made, and while there might be somewhat of an aftermarket, it's pretty sparse. I didn't want to be stuck with a boat anchor in the garage. I'd be more likely to own an old tuber Buell than an XB.

2. That's up to you. My riding has decreased a lot since having Disco Jr., but I still try to ride as much as I can. If that means swinging back by the house after dropping him off at daycare so I can ride to work, or taking a couple hours here or there on a weekend to get out in the country, I do what I can. I picked up an older ST1300, because I'd like to still go on a trip here or there, and I can only justify one bike. If you still want to ride a little, pick up a cheap Nighthawk or other inexpensive standard to tool around on when you get a few hours - something that won't be a financial strain - cheap to own, cheap to insure.

I did consider not replacing the Uly, and actually getting a nicer boat instead, but I know I would miss riding terribly, and I'd always be thinking about getting another bike if I didn't have one. I'm a firm believer that just because you have kids, you shouldn't give up the things you love to do - you may need to reprioritize your time, but you shouldn't have to stop altogether. That can breed resentment -I have friends who gave up hobbies because they felt "they should" after having kids, who are now crabby and depressed much of the time as a result. That's not cool.

discochris screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 12:27 PM
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
mrbear
n00b

Oddometer: 2
One oher thought. IF the bike is yours free and clear and you don't really "need" the $$, I'd seriously consider cleaning her up, pulling the battery and setting her up for "long term storage" in the garage under a cover. Go out every few months and wipe her down and keep her looking sharp. In years to come if you decide you want to ride her, fine. If not, from this point value likely will increase due to scarcity and in years to come the bike that's an orphan may become a collector's item. In any case it almost certainly WILL increase in value, as Buell prices now are pretty well in the tank...Just a thought...
mrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
dcstewart77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My $.02 for what it's worth....

I think you are asking if you can live without a bike or not.

I'm 45 and have been riding since I was 5 years old. 10 years ago when expecting our first child I decided that maybe I should get rid of my street bike (honda VFR) as riding on the road can be arguably risky.

Sold it and got a DR400s. Thinking I used to love riding in the dirt and it would be safer than riding 100% on the road. Big mistake, the only time I was enjoying the bike was while on pavement.

I then bounced around a few bikes and ended up back on a newer VFR.

Between a few of the bikes I was without one for a bit of time. EVERY time that happened it was like there was a huge hole in my life.

I'd see a bike go by and all I'd want to do is go for a ride.

BUT with a bike in the garage, for some unexplainable reason, I'm ok with seeing another bike. As I know that I COULD go for a ride if I wanted to.
dcstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Sell it.....if you want annother one later, then buy one. My guess is you won't..
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Motorcycles come and go, but down the road...you don't want to be wishing you'd spent more time with your kids.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote