Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #1486
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,703
Yo, Jerk!

First of all, love your sig line!

If you are in doubt about pipes, how about doing a baffelectomy? It's easy and cheap and then you can see how you like the sound without any out of pocket expenses. I did one a while back (!hanks again, A Mi Que?, for sending your old mufflers for me to play with! ) and am very happy with the sound.

If you don't like it, then it is off to the after market muffler store for you!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #1487
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418

Fifteen minutes from home. I like it.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #1488
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Guy, good to see the snow is melting and the flowers are out!

Emily Bronte
Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #1489
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 903
i have the thunderbike pipes on mine. nice sound, a little loud and usually an explosion on startup...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #1490
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Since removing the AI crap I have no popping on deceleration with the TORS. You can't tell by youtube clips what you are getting. Mine sound completely different from the vids that I watched before getting them. They are better than anything I heard on my computer. I will say that they may be "mellowing" a bit as they get more miles on them.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #1491
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
The videos on youtube are very misleading - i thought most mufflers sounded disappointing

I liked the Staintunes, but they were nearly twice the price in Australia of a set of TOR's posted from the US

Like wise the Thunderbike mufflers from NZ

I know what you mean by saying they sound "blatty" - but it is distinct

Time for me to stop typing - apologies to everyone, jsut been to excited since modding my scrambler on Tuesday!
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #1492
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,788
Ah... Staintunes beautifull, glorious sound, art.

Had a loner with tors, happy with staintunes.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #1493
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Sharp looking pipes. I looked into them myself but at 1000- seems kind of high. I dont think they require any thing more than bolting on and turning the idle screw.

How do you like them?
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #1494
cworley5150
ADV Wannabee

Oddometer: 28
Alternative to spoke rims on Scrambler

I've looked through most of this thread for any alternatives to the spoked rims on the Scrambler and don't see anybody running anything else. I am looking at getting a Scrambler possibly this fall. What I am planning on doing is having a better off-road tire than the Death Wings mounted on the stock wheels and having something more street oriented mounted on a second set of wheels. Just wondering if anyone had found something like the wheels off of another triumph model that are a cast wheel and not spoked that will fit the Scrambler. I would prefer to run a tubeless tire for sporty/touring rides.

The Scrambler sure is purty! I did a very short test ride on one a couple of months ago and really like the feel of the bike. I am currently riding a BMW Rockster. Looking for something with a little more character/versatility and a retro look and feel, but DO NOT want a Harley. The Scrambler seems like a fairly versatile, dependable and well rounded bike. I just prefer to run tubeless tires for ease of repair and peace of mind when on a multi-day several thousand mile tour.

Any thoughts?
cworley5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #1495
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cworley5150
I've looked through most of this thread for any alternatives to the spoked rims on the Scrambler and don't see anybody running anything else. I am looking at getting a Scrambler possibly this fall. What I am planning on doing is having a better off-road tire than the Death Wings mounted on the stock wheels and having something more street oriented mounted on a second set of wheels. Just wondering if anyone had found something like the wheels off of another triumph model that are a cast wheel and not spoked that will fit the Scrambler. I would prefer to run a tubeless tire for sporty/touring rides.
Any thoughts?
I hear what you are saying, but many folks have split the difference with Tourances, which handle long trips very nicely, yet are OK for gravel. A place where folk are really techy is the Triumph Rat site. Go to Twin Talk and ask. If it can be done, someone's prolly written about it there!

Emily Bronte
Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #1496
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Tubeless Tyres

Looked into this when I first got my Scram and contacted these folks thru Italian HQ - at the time they had other priorities
www.alpinawheelsusa.com
PDF of 2008 catalog http://pakbikes.net/PS1000LE/ALPINAtubeless2008.pdf

Hat Tip to JCMoTo on Twins Tech Talk @ TriumphRat.net.

Not cheap but only real option.

Sealing the rim from within is not an alternative that I would want to rely upon.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #1497
scraper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
tires

im a big fan of the conti TKC80s on my scram. they are suprisingly smooth, corner very well & arent even too bad in the rain on pavement & they also seem to handle deep sand, loose gravel & general off road use just as good.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #1498
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cworley5150
I've looked through most of this thread for any alternatives to the spoked rims on the Scrambler and don't see anybody running anything else. I would prefer to run a tubeless tire for sporty/touring rides.
I just prefer to run tubeless tires for ease of repair and peace of mind when on a multi-day several thousand mile tour.
Any thoughts?
I had a place called TRUESPOKE wheels seal my KLR wheels and never had a single problem for the 4 years 50,000+ miles I owned it. They have been sealing real spoked wheels on lowriders for many many years... I had a friend that knew someone who worked there, dropped them off in the am and picked them up later that day. I think I paid the guy $40 bucks,that was about 6 years ago..

Call them and see what they can do...
http://www.truespoke.net/index.html
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #1499
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 327
Bash Plate

I just recieved some farkles for my bike and the bash plate has turned up without a fixing kit or instructions. Whilst I can make something up would love some help.

I will try and get from the retailer but as he is in the US and I am in Oz my chnaces arent too good!

Can anyone send me a scan of the fitting sheet if they still have it so I can see what I amy need to make up to fix the plate? Sen me a pm for an email or fax address.

Thanks

Peter
Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #1500
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Peter, I believe the parts included are as follows:

* A bracket that attaches to a plate that's already on the bike, between the two front tubes of the frame. I believe two smooth-top hex-head bolts mount the bracket to the plate, and then two more mount the bash plate to the bracket.

* Two c-shaped brackets that hook over the frame tubes just ahead of the oil filter. At the ends of the "C" shape, the brackets become flat. A total of four bolts (same as all the others) are used to secure the bash plate to the brackets, which sandwiches the frame tubes between both.
Attached Images

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote