Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #15031
JAWS134
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Picked mine up on Friday. Rode about 50 miles on Saturday. I am totaly impressed with this bike. Ive owned many bikes and I must say this one takes the cake!!! Im in LOVE!!!!
JAWS134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #15032
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
I'm going to buy a Thruxton soon but keeping the Scrambler, wife does not understand why I want both or worse why I want to keep the XR & XT as well...women just don't get it.

I told her I might be a bike slut but I'm a 1 women man so be thankfull for what you got !!!

Don't know if the Thruxton will bring as many smiles to the dial as the Scrambler but looking at it will
I'm in the process of scrambling my Thrux. Was thinking about buying a Scram but decided I wanted the Thrux 360 degree motor (with it's 10 more HP), the aluminum wheels, bigger front brake, and speedo/tach setup. I had an 05 Bonnie and like my 06 Thrux better, but I'm really more of an upright dual-sport guy. All the chrome will be gone, it will be a desert tan and matte black themed military looking unit. I've assembled most all of the parts required: dual sport tires (my choice - Shinko 705's), top triple clamp conversion for standard bars, high bars, Scram footpeg mounts w/brake stuff, Scram headlight and mounts, Scram exhaust, Scram side panels, Triumph single seat w/rack, fork gaiters, military desert tan paint... Should be about a month to finish, I'll post pics.

Current Thrux:

Here's some of my inspiration:

azgsa screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 09:53 AM Reason: add pics
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #15033
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post

Here's some of my inspiration:

The gentleman who did up this bike, and just sold it over at Triumph Rat did one of the best color schemes to date, IMO.
This bike is rich in texture.
Bravo.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #15034
JAWS134
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Hi All,

Quick question. Is this the windscreen that Ive been reading about in the scrambler threads?

NATIONAL CYCLE DEFLECTOR SCREEN DX WINDSHIELDS WITH QUICKSET QUICK RELEASE MOUNTING HARDWARE.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/deflector-screen-dx-windshields-with-quickset-quick-release-mounting-hardware/p2000665.jcwx

Thank you,

Mark
JAWS134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #15035
Northern-Boy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Need a Friend in Detroit

Boy that sounds creepy.
I am thinking of buying some gear and need a USA address to ship to. The cross boarder shipping and duty put a pair of Chase Harper bags from $179.00 up to $260.00.
PM me if you think you can help. I live in Owen Sound Ontario and Detroit is not a bad drive for me.
If anyone has other ideas I am open.
Thanks Jim
Northern-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #15036
Fredicchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post

Grizz and Satcen, you seem to have the same tail bag (2nd picture here) which fit perfectly on the rack of the Scrambler, would you care to tell me the brand/model ?

About the 1st pic here, I thought there was a rather small weight limit on the rack of the Scrambler (7 or 11 pounds IIRC according to the manual), so what's the deal with all those bags Grizz, did you reinforce the rack to fit all those bags ??

Cheers,

Fred
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #15037
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredicchino View Post
Grizz and Satcen, you seem to have the same tail bag (2nd picture here) which fit perfectly on the rack of the Scrambler, would you care to tell me the brand/model ?

About the 1st pic here, I thought there was a rather small weight limit on the rack of the Scrambler (7 or 11 pounds IIRC according to the manual), so what's the deal with all those bags Grizz, did you reinforce the rack to fit all those bags ??

Cheers,

Fred

Look up "Wolfman Luggage" tail bags.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #15038
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:

Cheers,

Fred
The tailbag is from Wolfman Luggage, it's the Peak model. Take a look here:
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/peak_tail_bag.html

Regards, Paul
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #15039
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Motorcyclist Magazine - April 2012

Motorcyclist Magazine with a writeup on the Steve McQueen edition:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1204_triumph_bonneville_t100_steve_mcqueen_edi tion/index.html

...and the $27,000 Metisse Street Scrambler, which will also come in a variety with real suspension as described in the article:

"A modernized Desert Rally model will follow, featuring long-travel suspension and a monoshock rear end."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1204_the_metisse_returns_with_an_all_new_engin e/index.html
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 09:08 PM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #15040
Joe883
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Paul, I ordered it from Classic Industries. part # TT19. http://www.classicind.com.au/List/index.cgi# have not gotten it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I've been thinking about pulling a kayak trailer for a few years now, never got beyond the "thinking" stage. You may have pushed me over the edge, thanks!!

Who did you order the hitch from?
PLEASE.... post some pictures when you get it all together.

Regards, Paul
Joe883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #15041
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,134
Duly noted tvscum. I have that mag also.
Nice plugs for the Triumph community.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #15042
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
...and the $27,000 Metisse Street Scrambler, which will also come in a variety with real suspension as described in the article:

"A modernized Desert Rally model will follow, featuring long-travel suspension and a monoshock rear end."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1204_the_metisse_returns_with_an_all_new_engin e/index.html
I am trying to imagine what that green Metisse would look like with a mono rear!?!?
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #15043
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
Light green seat color is hideous. They should have gone with a leather brown or tannish color IMO.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #15044
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 130
Jim, you can always ship your bags to a UPS Store on the US side. For a very small fee (i.e. $5.00-10.00), they will hold your parcel until you can pick it up. Go to UPS.com to search for your nearest store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern-Boy View Post
Boy that sounds creepy.
I am thinking of buying some gear and need a USA address to ship to. The cross boarder shipping and duty put a pair of Chase Harper bags from $179.00 up to $260.00.
PM me if you think you can help. I live in Owen Sound Ontario and Detroit is not a bad drive for me.
If anyone has other ideas I am open.
Thanks Jim
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #15045
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

Cheers,

Fred
Fred, the rack is directly bolted to the frame. This mod was described in detail with a bunch of pics way back in this 1000 page thread. The standard OEM Triumph chrome rack was ditched in favor of a SW-Motech Alu rack from a KTM 950.

Here is my theory. The beauty of this set up is there is no 'windage' with bulky panniers slowing things up and sabotaging fuel consumption and tyre wear on the long rides. A typical outback loop in Australia can be up to 8500kms (Brisbane, Mt Isa, Alice, Broken Hill, Brisbane) so this is important. The bulk of the gear is were the pillion would normally sit whereas a lot of bikes mount their top box further back behind the pillion perch which is not so good for handling. The soft bag on top contains a lightweight sleeping bag so most of the weight is not set high. This set works great in all situations including the tight tracks.

The problem with pannier boxes is they can weigh up to 5-6 kg each and riders tend to put things in them which makes them even heavier. Hell, that's all well and good if you are only riding nice straight and smooth highways but what if you want to slither and slide your way down a wet and muddy bush track! Each to his own.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote