User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #15061
Northern-Boy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Perfect day off

Ok so not a big "poster" but I have to tell ya, I had the perfect day off yesterday. Sunny, warm and most of the snow has gone. I have only put on about 150 miles on my 08 and I just love this bike. I think the best part of my ride was that my old friend came to town on his Super T and off we went, riding with him just confirmed that I bought the right bike. I was able to get in and out of tightspots with ease while he labored to do 27 point turn around :), it was awesome!
We have some great back roads up here and some single track so if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods lets go riding.
Northern-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #15062
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 133
i picked up my bike last saturday and have been commuting on it this week. I filled it on monday morning and wanted to see how far i could go before the fuel light came on. I have read in this thread that running it for long after the fuel light comes on is a bad idea.

I'm still in the break-in period and got right to 100 miles before seeing the fuel light. When i filled it, it only took 2.68 gallons. With a 4.2 gallon tank i figure i should have been in the ballpark of having atleast another 1.5 gallons in the tank.

is that normal for the fuel light to come on so early? i should have been good for atleast another 40 miles but people have reported running out of gas pretty quick once the light comes on.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #15063
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown View Post
i picked up my bike last saturday and have been commuting on it this week. I filled it on monday morning and wanted to see how far i could go before the fuel light came on. I have read in this thread that running it for long after the fuel light comes on is a bad idea.

I'm still in the break-in period and got right to 100 miles before seeing the fuel light. When i filled it, it only took 2.68 gallons. With a 4.2 gallon tank i figure i should have been in the ballpark of having atleast another 1.5 gallons in the tank.

is that normal for the fuel light to come on so early? i should have been good for atleast another 40 miles but people have reported running out of gas pretty quick once the light comes on.
Always err on the safe side Chow. I figure conservatively and my fuel light almost always comes on at 123-126 miles. Guessing to have 1-1.5 gallons left I try not to ride out past 150 miles. I have gone to 160 a time or two.
Keep track of you mpg each tank, how much you fill up each time and learn your bike.
I figure my fuel requirements at 45 mpg.
I do not trust a low fuel 'idiot' light. The trip meter rules!
Your mileage should improve slightly when you get more miles on it.
Then maybe carry an extra gallon and run it out to see where you stand (by the side of the road lol ).
I will 'short fill' on a long stretch when I know there may not be fuel handy on the 'far end'. IE filling at 50-100 miles into a long no fuel section.

Gettin' to be riding season!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #15064
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 116
[/QUOTE]

Henry, wheels and bike look great. I'm going to do get new wheels. Just wondering if you considered using a 21" front and 18" rear? A few hundred posts back, Mcole mentioned such a setup.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how much longer the rear shocks have to be to maintain the current geometry with a 18/21 setup?
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #15065
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
BTW, does anyone have any idea how much longer the rear shocks have to be to maintain the current geometry with a 18/21 setup?
The key is to lift each end equally. An 18" rear with a low profile tire could/should be close to the 17".

I think there are more clearance issues in the front with a 21". Easily solved by using longer fork tubes, say + 1'' or 2" depending on requirements.
Get your 18"/21" combo, mount and check for your clearance issues...
Then raise!
Trial and error.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #15066
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
]
Henry, wheels and bike look great. I'm going to do get new wheels. Just wondering if you considered using a 21" front and 18" rear? A few hundred posts back, Mcole mentioned such a setup.

[/QUOTE]

I have seen the 21" setup, but I tought about 18 front actually. To get the handling I had on my Thruxton.

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #15067
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
pivot pegs 2012 scram

I received my $200 Pivot Pegs and black rubber Toppers two months after I ordered them for my 2012 Scrambler. THEY DON’T FIT. The stock retaining pin will not slide through the stock bracket holes with the Pivot Peg shaft in place. Very disappointing. Anybody have a similar problem?

The pegs listed for the Scrambler are the same ones I received:
PP-52MK3
Now I’m waiting for support to get back to me. I suppose my options will be 1) ship them back to Australia, or 2) start grinding on my brand new pegs and hope they sit level.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #15068
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
I received my $200 Pivot Pegs and black rubber Toppers two months after I ordered them for my 2012 Scrambler. THEY DON’T FIT. The stock retaining pin will not slide through the stock bracket holes with the Pivot Peg shaft in place. Very disappointing. Anybody have a similar problem?

The pegs listed for the Scrambler are the same ones I received:
PP-52MK3
Now I’m waiting for support to get back to me. I suppose my options will be 1) ship them back to Australia, or 2) start grinding on my brand new pegs and hope they sit level.

What a PITA. If it were me, I would take some pictures and send them back. For $200, they should fit. If people don't return poor fitting items, there is no incentive for the manufacturer to fix the problem.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #15069
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Grind baby grind!

Quote:
What a PITA. If it were me, I would take some pictures and send them back. For $200, they should fit. If people don't return poor fitting items, there is no incentive for the manufacturer to fix the problem.
I know I should have sent them back, but after waiting for two months I decided to grind away my frustrations. I had to grind away quite a bit of metal, really strange that they don't fit. Maybe the 2012 model changed the peg mount? On the box that came from PP, it said they fit 2006-2012 Scrams. Anyways, they fit now. Underneath those black toppers are the standard Pivot Peg spikes for off-roading. The toppers are held on with zip ties, although they would probably stay without the ties. Too bad it's raining today in San Diego!

'86 Yamaha XT350
Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #15070
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
I know I should have sent them back, but after waiting for two months I decided to grind away my frustrations. I had to grind away quite a bit of metal, really strange that they don't fit. Maybe the 2012 model changed the peg mount? On the box that came from PP, it said they fit 2006-2012 Scrams. Anyways, they fit now. Underneath those black toppers are the standard Pivot Peg spikes for off-roading. The toppers are held on with zip ties, although they would probably stay without the ties. Too bad it's raining today in San Diego!
]
Good work, and they look very nice.

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #15071
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Nice. Been eyeing them up.

Do they sit at exactly the same height as stock?
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #15072
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

I just had a chance between rainstorms to test ride the pegs. They feel like they sit exactly the same height as the stock ones. Again, I had to grind down the stoppers for them to fit my 2012 scram. The black rubber "toppers" that sell for $30 are totally useless IMO. They make the pegs too slippery, even for street use. As soon as I took the toppers off, I loved the feel of the pegs. They are really nice. I still have not heard back from support as to why they did not fit my bike and I assume since I had to grind them down I nuked the warranty.

'86 Yamaha XT350
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #15073
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Fly Screen

Selling a fly screen, thought I'd post a link for those who might be interested...plus I want to sell it :
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773978
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #15074
Fredicchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hey all, a call to the ultimate Scrambler knowledge here !

If I was to improve the rear shocks of the Scrambler, and if price was no issue, which one would you choose over the :
- Hagon (less expensive)
- Bitubo (midly expensive)
- Ohlins (most expensive)'

Are the Ohlins so much better than the rest of the pack ?
Thanks !
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #15075
Maxacceleration
What now

Ohlins are not the most expensive (from the models I was searching from).
The Performance shocks I have were spendier. Not sure if they are better but they work fine for me.
Seeing as you are from China, availability would be important. Also rebuildability if & when yours shocks need service. Can someone rebuild (or set-up/re-valve) shocks in your area?
Just because you buy a quality set of shocks does not mean they are set-up or work well fork you.
A lot of folks worldwide seem to like Bitubos fwiw.
YSS could be an alternative too.
Sounds dangerous.